Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Student Charge Cards Still Exist?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
Question Do Student Charge Cards Still Exist?

My Cousin is a Freshman at Texas A&M with a good credit history. He would like to apply for an Amex to start a history with them and would prefer a charge card.

I mentioned the Student Green which I have read about on this forum before. However in searching amex's website I nor he are able to find any literature on this card. 2 calls later to Amex they claim it doesnt exist... Did Amex discontinue this product, and if not how one go about applying for this card?

Thanks!

P.S. I think it would be a shame is Amex cancelled this line of product, as students more than most groups could benefit from having a charge card over a credit card.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Well, using a credit card responsibly is the same as using a charge card. And frankly, with the "select and pay later" option on the amex charge cards, the ability to spend beyond ones means still exists with the charge cards.

Amex does have student credit products. Suggest he get one and pay it off each month.

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...gmID=undefined
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andrewsheehan
P.S. I think it would be a shame is Amex cancelled this line of product, as students more than most groups could benefit from having a charge card over a credit card.
How would they benefit? It won't teach them to manage their expenses/spending all that much better than a credit card, and my understanding is that it doesn't build a credit rating the same either.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:41 am
In memoriam

Don't know about Texas, but, most campuses you can hardly walk past the student union without being attacked by a Citibank solicitor or folks working for other card companies.

The downside of student credit cards (beer for everybody!) is such that several states have banned on campus solicitation and there is some motion towards this in Washington.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by boulderlaw
... with the "select and pay later" option on the amex charge cards, the ability to spend beyond ones means still exists with the charge cards....
American Express would not necessarily offer this feature on student charge cards.

Last edited by mia; Apr 10, 2008 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:21 am

A student with good credit can get a non-student charge card. I got a gold card my sophomore year of college with only one year of credit history.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by bdb55
A student with good credit can get a non-student charge card. I got a gold card my sophomore year of college with only one year of credit history.
I got AMEX SPG, Chase Plat Visa, normal Visa, and other CCs as a student. Just try applying for a normal non-student card and see what happens. If you have some form of credit history be it a auto loan, student loans, then you should be good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.