Wiki Posts
Search

Amex credit line increases

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Amex Plat, UA/DL, Hilton/SPG
Amex credit line increases

does anyone know how high the personal amex blue card limit can go ? any ideas on what to do in order to get a good increase amount ? , of course besides having good credit ...
Thanks anyone ?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:54 pm

Call AMEX and request increase.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:09 pm

Their Target is about 25% of your Annual Income.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Call AMEX and request increase.

even better, you can do it online yourself !! but I was curious to find out how high the limits are going on the blue card ... anyone over $50k ??
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: Amex Personal PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold
My personal blue is 66K, but I had reallocate/consolidate other Amex credit card lines into the blue card to reach the 66k.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by myinfinity
Their Target is about 25% of your Annual Income.
My personal blue cash crdit limit is 78K. Also I have SPG Personal card and credit limit in it is 2K. My Personal Income is 90K. They did FR in December 2007 and they kept credit lines as it is after reviewing tax returns. So not sure if amex restricts credit lines to 25% of personal income.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:03 pm

My Blue limit is at 30k, which is just shy of the 25% income. It started at 7k when I was just out of college, and increased periodially though I never requested an increase.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
The online credit limit generator is pretty generous. I started at I think $8000 a year ago. Some posts at fatwallet seem to indicate going over $25K might trigger a financial review, so I stopped at $24K which is plenty for me anyway.

I recently got the Starwood amex, but they only gave me $2K due to all of my other credit card shenanigans. They won't let you request a CLI for six months, but online I reallocated $10K from my blue over to the Starwood instantly. I immediately went and requested a $8K increase on the blue and it was granted, back up to $22K.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone .... very helpful info ^
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:23 am

Someone else already mentioned the financial review, and it is something to look out for. If you're going to play around with amex, be ready to show them last year's tax form. Jjudging from the FW forums and my own experience, as long as you at least show them something they'll leave you alone, unless you lied on your app big-time, so it's not that big of a deal.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:22 am

It seems that if you request credit line increases --especially repeatedly--you likely will get an FR.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by best
It seems that if you request credit line increases --especially repeatedly--you likely will get an FR.
heard that also.
Just be able to back it up. And since it says household income, that can include your spouse, parents, whoever is at your house/apt
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612
...household income, that can include your spouse, parents, whoever is at your house/apt
In this context it is unlikely that a card issuer is interested in the income of people who just happen to live in the same dwelling, but rather people with whom you share income and expenses.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I know some of the FW community is big on the "Household Income", but I really question that. From most of the apps I look at, they ask for Salary and then have an area for Other income - child support, investments, etc. Would you really expect your college roomate or the guy that rents out your basement to hand over their tax returns and pay stubs when you get hit with a FR? Just a guess on my part, but I would think the FR trigger would include a credit history age. If you have a 25 year credit history and claim $250K income no FR, but if you have a two year history and claim $250K income it is much more likely you are that college student claiming his 10 frat brothers as HHI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.