Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manufacturer's Extended Warranty + AMEX extended?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Manufacturer's Extended Warranty + AMEX extended?

I'm just double checking, on the AMEX site, it says, essentially, if you have a product, and buy the mfrs extended warranty, you still receive the extended warranty for a year afterwards? Item in question is macbook, 1 year standard warranty, applecare warranty extends to 3 years, so AMEX would extend to 4 years?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:09 am

I just looked at the program details on the Web site, and I'm still not sure. I thought so after reading the first bullet, but the second seems to exclude computers:
  • If you purchase an additional service contract or extended warranty with a product which is otherwise eligible
    under the Buyer's Assurance Plan, and the combined coverage provided by both the original manufacturer’s
    warranty and the purchased service contract does not exceed five years, then the product is eligible for coverage
    under the Buyer's Assurance Plan. The Buyer's Assurance Plan will extend the warranty time period and mirror
    coverage of the original manufacturers' warranty up to one additional year after both the original
    manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract have expired. If, however, you purchase an
    American Express® Service Plan with a purchase from American Express Merchandise Services, the Buyer's
    Assurance Plan will apply before the Service Plan is in effect. If the combined coverage of the original
    manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract exceeds five years then the product purchased is
    not eligible under the Buyer's Assurance Plan and no coverage applies.
  • If you buy an additional service contract or an extended warranty for a computer, computer component or part
    that already comes with an original U.S. Manufacturer’s warranty, unless such coverage is provided from and
    administered by the original manufacturer, coverage under the Buyer’s Assurance Plan does not apply.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by cyrdog
[*]If you buy an additional service contract or an extended warranty for a computer, computer component or part
that already comes with an original U.S. Manufacturer’s warranty, unless such coverage is provided from and
administered by the original manufacturer
, coverage under the Buyer’s Assurance Plan does not apply.[/LIST][/INDENT]
AppleCare should fall under this exception to the computer exception.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Definitely still confused myself. So are we going with yes Amex applies here, or no? Durn all the legal and technical mumbo jumbo!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:23 am
Original Member

Yes, AMEX will still provide the additional year of warranty, since the extended AppleCare warranty is provided by the original equipment manufacturer.

But, of course, this is not legal advice that I am providing.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:56 pm
In memoriam

IMHO, if you have problem and there is an arguable case for coverage, Amex will take care of you. I remember when I bought a vacuum at Sears, hose cracked, it was out of Sears warranty, Amex immediately send me a check for the entire cost of the machine.

They appear to WANT to pay, unlike the rip-off extended warranties you can buy at Circuit City etc.

Guess Amex is thinking about a long-term relationship. @:-) The retailer and/or warranty company is not.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
i suppose i'll call or email them to find out, but it seems to point to being covered...i'll let you know what i hear. i suppose if i end up going to law school, i'll have an answer in 4 years...
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:14 am

I'd be curious to know the answer to this one as well. I'm planning to buy a new Macbook Pro next month, and am considering Applecare which will extend the one year warranty to three years.

Since I have a Centurion card, the AmEx extended warranty will match the original warranty up to three years (instead of one year as for Platinum).

So I'm wondering if I'll get the 3 years Applecare plus 3 years AmEx extended warranty for a total of six years, or if it is 3 years Applecare plus one year AmEx extended warranty, based on the original Apple one-year warranty.

Does anyone know?

Susan
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by sammy0623
i suppose i'll call or email them to find out, but it seems to point to being covered...i'll let you know what i hear. i suppose if i end up going to law school, i'll have an answer in 4 years...
Are you suggesting that questions about law become less convoluted after going to law school?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SusanDK
So I'm wondering if I'll get the 3 years Applecare plus 3 years AmEx extended warranty for a total of six years, or if it is 3 years Applecare plus one year AmEx extended warranty, based on the original Apple one-year warranty.

Does anyone know?
I cannot say that I "know" definitively, but I have to assume that they are only going to give you one year, since they extend the original warranty, not the add-on.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I cannot say that I "know" definitively, but I have to assume that they are only going to give you one year, since they extend the original warranty, not the add-on.
The limit is a one-year extension, except for Centurion cardmembers.
When a Cardmember charges the entire cost of a covered product with his or her Card account[1] the Buyer's Assurance Plan will extend the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty for a period of time equal to the duration of the original manufacturer's warranty, up to one additional year (up to three additional years for Centurion Card members), on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S.
https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...urance2003.pdf
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
The limit is a one-year extension, except for Centurion cardmembers.

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...urance2003.pdf
Yeah, and the "original manufacturer's warranty" is one year. I cannot believe that AmEx will double an extended warranty purchase as opposed to the original hardware warranty.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, and the "original manufacturer's warranty" is one year. I cannot believe that AmEx will double an extended warranty purchase as opposed to the original hardware warranty.
Actually, AmEx's terms will provide coverage extension for extended warranties of five years or less--see post #2 and/or the PDF link I posted. For computers, the extended warranty has to be provided by the manufacturer, which AppleCare is.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Actually, AmEx's terms will provide coverage extension for extended warranties of five years or less--see post #2 and/or the PDF link I posted. For computers, the extended warranty has to be provided by the manufacturer, which AppleCare is.
I agree completely with this. But the specific extension is only of the base warranty, after the extended warranty is expired:
If you purchase an additional service contract or extended warranty with a product which is otherwise eligible under the Buyer's Assurance Plan, and the combined coverage provided by both the original manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract does not exceed five years, then the product is eligible for coverage under the Buyer's Assurance Plan. The Buyer's Assurance Plan will extend the warranty time period and mirror coverage of the original manufacturers' warranty up to one additional year after both the original manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract have expired.
So either the Platinum or the Centurion will only get one year extended (mirroring the coverage of the original manufacturer's warranty). The centurion card will not get 3 additional years, as the policy is to mirror the original term with a max duration of 3 years. Since the original warranty is one year that is what you'll get extended, after the original warranty and the AppleCare have both expired. If the original warranty were for 3 years and then AppleCare was another 2 years (instead of 1 + 2) then the AmEx extension would be 3 years for Centurions and 1 year for Platinums, mirroring the original warranty. But the original warranty, which is what AmEx mirrors, is only one year.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So either the Platinum or the Centurion will only get one year extended (mirroring the coverage of the original manufacturer's warranty).
Now I understand what your saying.
I'm not quite sure what the exact interpretation of the terms would be, but, as a non-Centurion, it doesn't really matter for me for all practical purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.