Equinox Fitness Benefit [All cards, consolidated]

Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lifetime is very nice, but doesnt compare to equinox. equinox is the largest of the high end fitness companies.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Just an FYI...I finally got a response to my 2nd inquiry about specific rates:

I have contacted the Equinox account services department and they informed me that when you sign up you would pay an initial fee of approximately $145.00 and pay a monthly rate of $170.00 to $310.00. Please note that rates are subject to change due to various promotions that individual Equinox gyms have running throughout the year.
Given that I'm not looking to join until about September, I'll hold off for now and perhaps hope for a promo by then
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Old thread, but just to add a data point from 8/2010.

$50 Initiation fee (this seems to vary with current promotions- this was for August)
$145 monthly fee (use at one location); i believe it was $175 for all locations.

Plat got the following benefits on top of standard new members:
5 Additional Training Sessions (making 6 total, plus a fitness evaluation)
1 50-minute massage at their spa

Annual offer of 2 free sessions when you buy 6.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
Old thread, but just to add a data point from 8/2010.

$50 Initiation fee (this seems to vary with current promotions- this was for August)
$145 monthly fee (use at one location); i believe it was $175 for all locations.

Plat got the following benefits on top of standard new members:
5 Additional Training Sessions (making 6 total, plus a fitness evaluation)
1 50-minute massage at their spa

Annual offer of 2 free sessions when you buy 6.
There are a number of ongoing promotions that include waiver of the initiation fee. Sometimes they are public offers and at other times (including the most recent one I am aware of) the fee is waived if you are "referred" by an existing member.

The current fee for all locations does not include E at Columbus Circle in NYC or Century City in LA.

Initial Platinum benefits also include 20% discount vouchers for the shop. For each subsequent membership year, there is a bonus of free training sessions depending on how many you buy (I recently bought 48 and received 8 free sessions). They also throw in spa and shop discounts.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat, VX Visa, Elevate (Founding), SPG Gold, Flying Club Silver
I know this thread relates more to CENT than PLAT, but was wondering if anyone has any further recent updates regarding Equinox and the American Express benefit(s).

I've been contemplating joining the local gym by my home in Southern California, though the membership team there has been a bit spotty/contradictory in their communication. I was quoted that benefits, when paying with an American Express Platinum card, are; discount initiation fee (more than half off), a 50-minute spa service, and 4 personal training sessions.

Has anyone had luck getting the initiation fee waived, and still keeping the Amex benefits? If so, what are you guys (if you don't mind me asking) paying in terms of monthly fee/and for what type of membership?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Autumn09
I know this thread relates more to CENT than PLAT, but was wondering if anyone has any further recent updates regarding Equinox and the American Express benefit(s).

I've been contemplating joining the local gym by my home in Southern California, though the membership team there has been a bit spotty/contradictory in their communication. I was quoted that benefits, when paying with an American Express Platinum card, are; discount initiation fee (more than half off), a 50-minute spa service, and 4 personal training sessions.

Has anyone had luck getting the initiation fee waived, and still keeping the Amex benefits? If so, what are you guys (if you don't mind me asking) paying in terms of monthly fee/and for what type of membership?

Thanks in advance!

You can see my post above. Those prices were for 8/31. No success in the fee waiver, but they did throw in a "guided workout" which was akin to an extra personal training session, maybe you can go for that. If you do end up joining, I'd love to be your referral (if you don't have one already); if you're interested, I'll PM my details.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Autumn09

Thanks in advance!
From time to time they offer to waive the initiation fee if you are "referred" by a current member. I'm not aware of any ongoing promotion that waives the fee at the moment (there was one in August, but I believe it expired), but any member of Equinox can check on that with their local gym. I see dkelly1110 has requested to be listed as a referral, so I won't step in there. I did not pay an initiation fee when I joined a few years ago and still received the Amex benefits.

I currently pay $172 per month with the Amex Plat program. That gives me access to all Equinox locations other than E in NYC and Century City in LA. If you want Century City access, I believe the fee goes up to $225 per month. I note that this is only about $20 more per month than my company's corporate rate, so I think it is well priced.

The benefits are listed here:

http://www.equinox.com/Join/Default_...?card=platinum

Beware that the initial free training sessions that come with the Amex Plat package may only be for Tier I trainers. You should confirm whether they are applicable to only Tier I or all levels of trainers, if that matters to you.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
I called the Santa Monica Equinox here in SoCal to inquire about Amex Plat benefits. I was told that the activation fees would be lower, but the monthly fees would remain the same and that I would get spa and personal training benefits outlined here:

http://www.equinox.com/Join/Default_...?card=platinum

One of my benefits at work is discounted access to Equinox, including a big reduction in initiation fees. Given that I don't want spa access and don't value personal training sessions as much, it made sense to not use the AMEX benefit. That said, the manager of one of the clubs in SoCal was willing to throw in the AMEX benefits at the discounted, non-AMEX rate (company negotiated rate), as long as I paid my monthly fees on my AMEX.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:10 pm

When I lived in NYC my corporate "All-Access" rate was $125 a month, which one had to pay using a payroll deduction. Unfortunately, I think they used post-tax dollars. This was less than three months ago, so I sort of feel that the benefits may not save you as much on price as other discounts.

Additionally, I would be careful with the E supergym thing, since in NYC I remember them only having that at the Columbus Circle location, not even the other flagship locations in SOHO and Greenwich village, I think, so I would be careful if this benefit is worth anything in CA.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by gmangg
When I lived in NYC my corporate "All-Access" rate was $125 a month, which one had to pay using a payroll deduction. Unfortunately, I think they used post-tax dollars. This was less than three months ago, so I sort of feel that the benefits may not save you as much on price as other discounts.

Additionally, I would be careful with the E supergym thing, since in NYC I remember them only having that at the Columbus Circle location, not even the other flagship locations in SOHO and Greenwich village, I think, so I would be careful if this benefit is worth anything in CA.
That is a pretty good corporate rate. A lot of corporate rates are higher for all access - mine is more than $150/month, which makes using Amex worthwhile.

E is exclusive to NYC Columbus Circle. It is a separate facility from the main gym at Columbus Circle. At $25,000+ per year they are not about to open that facility up to all access. The only non-all access location in California is Century City, which has a lot of extras built in but is still available at a reasonable monthly fee.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting an AMEX Platinum card (they sent me a pre-approval that expires in 2 weeks). I'm not really sure I want it though but I already have membership at Equinox and if I can get some benefits from AMEX, it might be worth it.

However, I pay a special rate at Equinox through my triathlon club (it saves a little bit each month and I didn't pay an initiation fee). It's about $15 less than the normal amount.

If I start charging my monthly fees to an AMEX platinum, does anyone know if I'll get any benefits? I spoke to the person at the gym but she didn't think so. She said that I would have to convert to the higher priced fee + pay initiation fee, etc. But she didn't really seem to know the rules anyway (I had to tell her about AMEX, etc.).

Or is the benefit completely separate from Equinox and AMEX? Meaning I just change my credit card on file at Equinox to AMEX Platinum, I call the AMEX Platinum concierge desk, and they send me vouchers via mail?

Thanks!

Rock
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Rock72
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting an AMEX Platinum card (they sent me a pre-approval that expires in 2 weeks). I'm not really sure I want it though but I already have membership at Equinox and if I can get some benefits from AMEX, it might be worth it.

However, I pay a special rate at Equinox through my triathlon club (it saves a little bit each month and I didn't pay an initiation fee). It's about $15 less than the normal amount.

If I start charging my monthly fees to an AMEX platinum, does anyone know if I'll get any benefits? I spoke to the person at the gym but she didn't think so. She said that I would have to convert to the higher priced fee + pay initiation fee, etc. But she didn't really seem to know the rules anyway (I had to tell her about AMEX, etc.).

Or is the benefit completely separate from Equinox and AMEX? Meaning I just change my credit card on file at Equinox to AMEX Platinum, I call the AMEX Platinum concierge desk, and they send me vouchers via mail?

Thanks!

Rock

The membership folks should have the info about the benefits when paying with a Platinum card. I am not sure how that would work with your existing discount, but I would be surprised if they were able to be combined.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
When i signed up, I was told that I could either:

1) pay the initiation fee ($595) + monthly membership ($136/mo for 1 club, $160/mo for CA clubs) with my AMEX Platinum and get some free stuff from AMEX platinum (training, spa, etc.)

OR

2) pay the reduced fee via my triathlon club (no initiation fee, slightly less monthly fees)

My quick calculation in my head told me that option #2 is much better so I went with that.

I was just wondering if maybe the sales person might have pulled a fast one on me...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Rock72
When i signed up, I was told that I could either:

1) pay the initiation fee ($595) + monthly membership ($136/mo for 1 club, $160/mo for CA clubs) with my AMEX Platinum and get some free stuff from AMEX platinum (training, spa, etc.)

OR

2) pay the reduced fee via my triathlon club (no initiation fee, slightly less monthly fees)

My quick calculation in my head told me that option #2 is much better so I went with that.

I was just wondering if maybe the sales person might have pulled a fast one on me...
They didn't. AFAIK, you have to comply with the terms and conditions of the "special" rate given to Amex Plat holders in order to qualify for the stated benefits.

It has never been clear to me whether it is up to Equinox or Amex as to the benefits being handed out, but I think it probably comes down to whether you pay the monthly fee with an Amex and are flagged in Equinox's system as someone who pays the fee that get the benefits. If you are flagged in the system as qualifying for another rate you will only get the benefits of that rate, even if you pay with an Amex.

FWIW, after the first year Equinox does not do a good job of handing out the repeat benefits in any case. For the last two years I have had to call Equinox headquarters to get the free training sessions and shop certificates.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott
Gold benefits at Equinox Fitness?

Anyone know what the Gold benefits are when you signing up for membership at Equinox Fitness?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.