Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merged Threads [AMEX Targeted Offers]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, National Emerald Exec, AA Aadvantage, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Citi AAdvantage plat
Smile Merged Threads [AMEX Targeted Offers]

Can anyone give some advice on time frame / common attributes of customers that have received a targeted offer for MR points to upgrade to platinum. Here is a little about me

1.) Current cards: Rewards Plus Gold (Since June 07)
2.) Amex member since 2002 (authorized user status prior to above card)
3.) Excellent transunion score (not sure of others currently) / Exceed amex annual income threshold to have a card with them.
4.) Credit file approximately 8 years old. Perfect payment history. Paid all revolving account balances off in full each month.
5.) Annualized spend is approximately $17K. Not much relatively speaking, but I just use it for personal / day to day expenses and some bill payments.

I get the ad online to upgrade to plat, but I won't do it until I receive a decent offer for some extra MR points in order to upgrade. I've called several times asking for a bonus to upgrade via phone, but they never have an offer. Any info on how I can get one is appreciated.

Thx
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by ryanpw3
Can anyone give some advice on time frame / common attributes of customers that have received a targeted offer for MR points to upgrade to platinum. Here is a little about me

3.) Excellent transunion score (not sure of others currently) / Exceed amex annual income threshold to have a card with them.
4.) Credit file approximately 8 years old. Perfect payment history. Paid all revolving account balances off in full each month.
5.) Annualized spend is approximately $17K. Not much relatively speaking, but I just use it for personal / day to day expenses and some bill payments.

I get the ad online to upgrade to plat, but I won't do it until I receive a decent offer for some extra MR points in order to upgrade. I've called several times asking for a bonus to upgrade via phone, but they never have an offer. Any info on how I can get one is appreciated.

Thx
You might want to dig around for promo codes on here or on the web. Several people have been offered anywhere from 15-50K MR points as a bonus for upgrading.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:49 pm

Thx
I have been waiting and looking also, I am going to do a search for any promo codes, I will let you know if I have any luck.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, National Emerald Exec, AA Aadvantage, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Citi AAdvantage plat
Thanks everyone. I'm curious. I considered looking for a promo / rsvp code, however I thought they were targeted and a different customer could not use a random code they found. Is this correct?

Thx
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:27 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm curious. I considered looking for a promo / rsvp code, however I thought they were targeted and a different customer could not use a random code they found. Is this correct?

Thx
I searched the web and couldn't find anything for Platinum offers for personal, just for business, I figured if I found a code I would call up amex and try to use it.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:44 pm

I've had the Gold personal and business for some time and have only received upgrade promos for business.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
I have a hunch that Amex tracks your activity on their website when you are logged in.

I had credit cards with Amex for 6-7 years but never used them. I then started poking around the Amex site looking at the Gold charge cards. I then got inundated with sign up bonuses for the Gold card, which I did not accept for various reasons.

Fast forward a year later, I started looking at the Plat benefits on the website. I received two generous MR offers to accept the Plat card within as many months. YMMV.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Current Amex Targeted Offers

Anyone getting any good targeted offers for new cards lately? I got one last week for 25,000 MR points (after $1000 spend) if I take a new Gold Rewards card with the fee waived for the first year. I'm tempted, but wondering if I can hold out for more (yes, I'm becoming greedy).

I'm currently putting everything I can through my Blue Cash card, but am planning on switching to the Citi Platinum Amex once my $6500 spend year resets in March. I'm thinking I'm better off waiting until they see my Blue spend drop to zero and see if it opens up any new offers.

Any recent experience out there?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: Amex Personal Centurion, Amex Business Centurion(cancelled), Merril+, CitiGold, JP Morgan Palladium
I received an offer for 50,000 MR points if I spend $500 before end of March. I didn't know everyone gets different offers...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I just got the 25k MR offer for the Platinum Card last week. Anybody have any luck calling up Amex and negotiating a better promotion? Otherwise, I'm tempted to go with this offer.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by escog
I just got the 25k MR offer for the Platinum Card last week. Anybody have any luck calling up Amex and negotiating a better promotion? Otherwise, I'm tempted to go with this offer.
Did you get a promo code with this?, I have been waiting for a personal Platinum offer but havent gotten one in a while now.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:20 pm
In memoriam

I just signed in on the Membership Rewards site and was told that I am now specially invited to upgrade to Platinum as a valued Amex member and get 50K bonus points if I spend 1K by April '08. No mention of the fee, if any. Looks to be a good deal, but I want to check out that fee.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:24 pm
In memoriam

Just signed in on the Membership Rewards site and go a 50K offer to upgrade to Plat from my gold card (which I was thinking about canceling). Apparently the fee would be $450. Wonder if it's worth it.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Just signed in on the Membership Rewards site and go a 50K offer to upgrade to Plat from my gold card (which I was thinking about canceling). Apparently the fee would be $450. Wonder if it's worth it.
I got that too, then got a 25K offer when I went back to the main screen.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Preliminary analysis of URLs

I have logged on using four UserIDs and have seen two 50,000 point offers and one 25,000 point offer.

The 50,000 point offer is at this URL...

https://www201.americanexpress.com/d...campaignId=744

https://www201.americanexpress.com/drivetoweb/DrivetoWebServlet?CardType=105&request_type=verify&campaignId=744

The 25,000 point offer is at this URL...

https://www201.americanexpress.com/d...campaignId=743

https://www201.americanexpress.com/drivetoweb/DrivetoWebServlet?CardType=104&request_type=verify&campaignId=743

The embedded "CardType" number seems to be the key. (I tried all values from 100 to 110 and found only one other offer, for the SPG Credit Card.) Of course having the URL is no assurance you would receive the points if not targetted.

Last edited by mia; Jan 23, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.