Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Old Jun 16, 11, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is Amex trying to stop charge cards by encouraging pay over time? Is this the main distinction between charge and credit cards?
Old Jun 16, 11, 12:45 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Is Amex trying to stop charge cards by encouraging pay over time?
I would say they are trying to bundle a very profitable revolving line of credit with your charge card, in order to encourage you to use the charge card for major purchases which you might otherwise put on a MasterCard or VISA.

One difference is that using the American Express pay-over-time feature does not incur finance charges on new transactions, you only pay interest on the balances that carry in the line of credit.
Old Jun 16, 11, 2:19 pm

Success!

Originally Posted by ghostboy View Post
Thank you - I'll e-mail AMEX again.
Dear ghostboy,

I see that your enrollment status in the ' extended payment option' is showing as ' pending '. It is likely to become operational by 07/23/11.

Let me assure you that the 5,000 bonus points should be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment (Bonus Id:5670).

In case you do not receive receive these bonus points within this timeframe, please get back to us, and we'll be happy to assist you.

I hope you find this information useful and re-assuring.

We value you as a Cardmember and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Sincerely, xxxxxx xxxxxxxx Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
Old Jun 17, 11, 1:28 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jackiesyu View Post
do you have a link for this? I got one in the mail but it was 1500 and the link seems to be not specific to me. So, I am wondering whether the 5000 point one has a general link as well.

Thanks.
http://www.americanexpress.com/payovertimeMR1

Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 5670, 5671, or 5688
Old Jun 18, 11, 7:29 am

Programs: Lotz
Biz?

I used the link and it enrolled my personal Gold Premier but I also have a biz Gold Premier.

I assume the promo id's are just for personal.
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior View Post
I used the link and it enrolled my personal Gold Premier but I also have a biz Gold Premier.

I assume the promo id's are just for personal.
they're good for business cards too
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:57 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien View Post
they're good for business cards too
I enrolled my personal but now every time I click the link it tells me I'm already enrolled even though my biz card is not. I guess I could try calling but don't know if all the promo codes work for biz.
Old Jun 18, 11, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior View Post
I enrolled my personal but now every time I click the link it tells me I'm already enrolled even though my biz card is not. I guess I could try calling but don't know if all the promo codes work for biz.
that's probably because only one card per MR account, do you have your MR linked?, if that's the case, then refer to t&c "Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 5670, 5671, or 5688"

You could try calling or emailing through the secure messaging centre.

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Jun 18, 11 at 9:29 am
Old Jun 18, 11, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien View Post
http://www.americanexpress.com/payovertimeMR1

Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 5670, 5671, or 5688
Evidently not everyone can enroll:

Premier Rewards Gold Card -

Extended Payment Option

We're sorry but we are unable to approve your request. If you have questions, please call the customer service phone number on the back of your Card.
Old Jun 18, 11, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MyTravels View Post
Same thing happened to me on the Platinum card.
Old Jun 18, 11, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by MyTravels View Post
I first enrolled over the phone, then sent an email to request the 5K, they asked for the code, I sent them back the link and they deposited the 5K, so I'd suggest trying that if you can't get the link to work.
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
My wife and I enrolled when we activated our cards. Therefore, when we tried to enroll via the 5,000 point offer link, the system predictably and correctly stated, "already enrolled". We fired off messages via the Secure Messaging interface and less than a day later they posted the points. We directed the message to Billing/Payment Options and included the 5K bonus link and politely asked if they'd honor it, as we missed out by enrolling from the start rather than waiting. Also said we'd like to cancel the Extended Payment option if we weren't eligible for the bonus. Worked like a charm. Try it if you're in the same boat.

In total, what used to be a 25K bonus for sign-up (standard Plat card offer) then became 50K, then 100K after calling and asking to match another promo. With these points now thrown in, we're at 105K per card. With one card for each of us, that's 210K MR points (most of which were converted to DL miles at a 1:1.5 ratio, so over 300K DL miles and 50K MQMs. Yowza!
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper View Post
In total, what used to be a 25K bonus for sign-up (standard Plat card offer) then became 50K, then 100K after calling and asking to match another promo.
How did you get 100K?
Old Jun 18, 11, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
How did you get 100K?
Via the tip off in this thread.
Old Jun 19, 11, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper View Post
Via the tip off in this thread.
Thats for the Plat card not the regular one right?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: