Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Old Apr 18, 11, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The UK Amex Plat also offers this, basically you turn your charge card into a credit card.

However, in the UK there is a snag. Your direct debit only collects the small charges under the 'flexselect' limit (£200) plus 2% or whatever of the rest. Unless you make a manual payment to clear the rest, you are charged interest on it and you start running a balance.
Old Apr 27, 11, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Please excuse my ignorance, since I have not been targeted this option.
What is this "Choosing to Pay Over Time"?
I have the Amex Plat Charge card, pay in full at end of billing period.
Why would choosing to elect for this be a benefit or not be a benefit.
I do not plan to carry a balance.
5k sounds nice.
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 27, 11, 10:19 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU View Post
What is this "Choosing to Pay Over Time"?
If your card is issued in the USA I suggest you follow the link provided in post 13 of this thread to understand the flexible payment options. Enrolling in an option does not require you to use it.
Old Apr 27, 11, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
FTG is mentioning this today. I have more than one Amex charge card (Premiere, Platinum). Can I get the 5K twice?
Old Apr 27, 11, 1:24 pm
jk2

Called AMEX and guy said he doesn't see such promotion for my account. No luck.
Old May 2, 11, 1:36 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
I had a link on my account on Friday for the 5k points. Clicked on it. It asked for my income, so I assume a hard pull was involved, but I haven't checked yet.

The points posted today.
Old May 2, 11, 6:27 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
got the 5K

applied for the 5K bonus, signed up on either Friday or Saturday and the points posted today ! Didn't ask for social security number, so I doubt a hard pull credit check was performed.

Thanks Flyertalk !
Old May 2, 11, 7:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Visa Signature
I wouldn't do it. I just don't believe that Amex doesn't have some sort of internal scoring mechanism that takes into account things like this and people who have access to pay over time perhaps are looked upon and less financially stable borrowers. Just my speculation.
Old Jun 1, 11, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Looked into this today after the repeated snail mail/e-mail promotion of this and the lure of 5,000 MR's. Looks easy to sign up however they do want me to enter my annual household income. This struck me as odd since I've been a platinum (also have the Costco card) for several years and this is a targeted offer. Is this an excuse to do a FR and/or hard pull maybe?
Old Jun 1, 11, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I lucked out, they sent me two simultaneous 5K offers for two different cards (Plat and Open, the gold business card) and even though the T&C said I could only get one bonus per MR account, they gave me both. What I do notice is that my "minimum payment" on my statement is the amount of charges not eligible for Pay Over Time. So if I just paid the "Amount Due" I would be paying interest. Of course I don't HAVE to pay the minimum, and I don't.

I'm a total points hound (for reasons not worth going into, points have an actual value to me of 2 cents each), so I grab all I can.
Old Jun 1, 11, 2:33 pm

I got one of these offers and signed up for it a couple of months ago. A fair warning: charges >$100 are automatically placed into pay over time. The way my statement lined up, I thought I had paid my full bill, but was off by a bit and carried a small balance that then triggered a finance charge (something like $13). I called Amex and they waived the charge, apparently I had already paid the past balance...maybe it was from the new bill, and I had them turn off the feature to automatically put charged over $100 on pay over time. I still have access to it, but only if I choose (I have no intention to use it.)
Old Jun 10, 11, 9:37 pm

I keep getting this 5k offer also. Can anyone confirm whether they do a credit pull?

Or is it just a sneaky way to try to get you to carry a balance for one or two cycles before you notice?

Can you continue to do a direct debit for the full amount or do you have to go into your account manually to fiddle with the $$ box each month.
Old Jun 15, 11, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by detony View Post
This goes without saying but save the original offer, any correspondence with the ID#. I have done it, it is easy...but I have always had to call afterwards to get the points. Might just be me. I have done it multiple times over the years. I always get the points, but the extra call has been required for me.
Does anyone have the bonus ID # for the 5k promo?
Old Jun 16, 11, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
My confirmation page said:

1. To be eligible to get bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards First® program at the time of enrollment in these features. Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 5670 or 5671. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards First® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-297-1300 for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. To get bonus points related to this offer you must enroll by December 31, 2011.
Old Jun 16, 11, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by zphelj View Post
My confirmation page said:

1. To be eligible to get bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards First® program at the time of enrollment in these features. Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 5670 or 5671. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards First® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-297-1300 for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. To get bonus points related to this offer you must enroll by December 31, 2011.
Thank you - I'll e-mail AMEX again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: