FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/778875-bonus-points-enroll-extended-payment-option-usa.html)

evor1 Jul 15, 2016 3:12 am

i just did it. ill be canceling my platinum card in a month anyways

tev9999 Jul 15, 2016 8:36 am

Just found the same offer in my inbox. I think I had a similar snail mail offer this week but tossed it. That one I think said 0% interest but I didn't see anything about bonus points that would catch my attention so into the trash it went.

Just applied and was instantly approved for a $35K limit. I have no intention of paying them 19% interest, but I'll take the points.

As for my spending pattern if it helps figure it out.... This card is about seven months old - I grabbed a 50K offer. After the initial spend I have not used it much other than for good Sync offers. Probably averages $75 a month. I do have two Blue Cash Preferred, Hilton Surpass (recently finished 100K upgrade) and the Delta Gold.

fliesdelta Jul 16, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by tev9999 (Post 26920348)
Just applied and was instantly approved for a $35K limit. I have no intention of paying them 19% interest, but I'll take the points.

Same here.

As for my pattern: $500/mo on the average, a combination of travel, dining, etc.

Happy Jul 16, 2016 11:21 am

Got a mailer but no bonus

Got a letter said my BRG was qualified for the extended payment option offer as of 08/28/2016. No bonus other than a 18.49% APR. The letter said the maximum amount to pay over time is $35,000. Neither is of any interest to me.

It is unclear to me whether it is automatically added to the card.

Then it said if I dont want it I need to call to decline it. Also once it is declined, the card will not have this feature. Huh?

Read it 3 times I am still unsure whether I am already being enrolled in without bonus or not.

Is the 08/28/2016 being the "deadline" to say No? The wording of the letter is as clear as mud.

No offer online and do not receive any email.

I only want this option WHEN IT OFFERS A BONUS since I never carry any balance. :rolleyes:

fliesdelta Jul 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 26925169)
Same here.

As for my pattern: $500/mo on the average, a combination of travel, dining, etc.

Well, that was quick! My 10K MR points posted today, just two days after I accepted the offer.

Easy peasy.

Tim O'Brien Jul 16, 2016 2:20 pm

10K points posted for me within three days.

FallenPlat Jul 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Amex is a little ridiculous.

I signed up for the platinum card a couple of years ago to get 100,000 points (140,000 Avios now with a bonus transfer).

Then I got the Everyday (the no-fee version) for 25,000 more points so I could cancel the platinum.

Instead I then got a further 40,000 points as a retention bonus.

And now they're going to give me yet 10,000 more points to sign up for Extended Pay (which I'll never even use)?

(It looks as though the $35K limit is the default, by the way. No credit pull.)

So that's 140,000 Avios miles and 75,000 Amex points in all -- just for signing up.

UPDATE: The 10,000 points posted on July 18, i.e., in just two business days. That's fast.

DaveInLA Jul 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Is there a backdoor way to get the offer (or check to see if eligible) if not targeted?

DaveInLA Jul 16, 2016 11:55 pm

I got the email and tried enrolling, but I get this:

We're sorry, but we are unable to process your request at this time.
If you have questions, please call the customer service phone number on the back of your Card.
I'm going to try calling, hopefully it'll be easy to enroll and get the 10K.

Jcrew Jul 17, 2016 3:02 am

got my 10k points already

LWT3 Jul 17, 2016 6:54 am

3 days from enrolling to points posting

Received the offer and enrolled on July 14th, points posted today, July 17th. Second time I've gotten this offer. Once on BGR and once on personal Gold (not PRG).

ORD-TGU Jul 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 26927220)
I got the email and tried enrolling, but I get this:

I'm going to try calling, hopefully it'll be easy to enroll and get the 10K.

Same happened to me, did not bother to call immediately, put it on my to do list, but then 10K showed up in 3 days!

cloney Jul 19, 2016 11:39 am

Just got a 10k point offer for enrolling in pay over time. Works for me since this is card is just parked in my dresser.

jeepie Jul 23, 2016 10:45 am

Got the offer on my PRG, enrolled and then looked at my Biz Plat...same offer was there! Accepted that offer too, received a message that it couldn't be processed at this time.
Three days later, 20,000 MR points have posted.
I agree...only use this benefit in a short term crunch. APR will kill you. Cheers.

sybloc Jul 23, 2016 11:03 am

So annoying how everyone has to qualify their post with "I'd never carry a balance because I'm so financially savvy but..."

Good for you.

American Express has paid for my house, my cars, wine, expensive dinners, etc from over a decade of being the most user-friendly MS card company on the planet. I carry a balance at all times to pay a little of all that great fortune back.

Stop being such elitists.