Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Old Feb 11, 12, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
Haha good detective work! Maybe he was hoping to lure someone in so that he can get a recent report?
Close, but not the same scenario.

That was on a personal card when I told them to enable it during the activation phone call.

This is months later on a business card... but the important thing is it's months from the original credit pull for the application and not at time of applicaiton approval.
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:33 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
5,000 Amex MR points for signing up to pay your bill over time

A search did not reveal a thread already discussing this. Saw this promo when I logged into my account. The only piece of information that Amex wants from you is to provide your annual household income. Bonus ID is 7908 or 7906. Not sure if it is targeted or not and also not sure if there is any downside to signing up for this feature.
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold-Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
A search did not reveal a thread already discussing this. Saw this promo when I logged into my account. The only piece of information that Amex wants from you is to provide your annual household income. Bonus ID is 7908 or 7906. Not sure if it is targeted or not and also not sure if there is any downside to signing up for this feature.
Do you have a web site
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mike2200 View Post
Do you have a web site
No web site but here is the relevant excerpt from the T&Cs:

"1. To be eligible to get bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of enrollment in these features. Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 7908 and 7906. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. To get bonus points related to this offer you must enroll by June 30, 2012."
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:14 pm

This past year American Express started to no longer match offers that others have received. You can no longer call up with a "bonus id" and get a bonus applied to you. They will respond that you were not targeted for the offer. - If I receive something directly from American Express, sure I will apply for it. - Otherwise, I've given up. Too many people (myself included) were promised many points through reps (via non-targeted bonus id's) and never received them (or had to fight tooth and nails for them).
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:34 pm
In memoriam

I looked at a similar (or maybe the same) targeted offer a year or so ago and decided that, for me at least, this was paying a lot of money (in interest) for not so many miles.

IMHO, not paying off your bill in full each month costs so much that it negates any points or miles you might get.
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:36 pm

Perhaps our OP can elucidate, but IIRC, in prior editions of this, you only had to enroll in an automatic bill-pay that would pay off you balance even if you just sat there and did nothing, but it certainly didn't force you to actually carry a balance that would result in interest.
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
[Moderator edit to remove circular link after merging threads]

Last edited by mia; Feb 28, 12 at 1:39 pm
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You definitely did not have to actually pay interest.

About a year ago I got this bonus for signing up my PRG and Plat cards, I got 5K for each, even though you are only supposed to get it once per household. I am sure I was targeted on at least one card.

However, recently this bonus has not been available if not targeted. I passed a link on to a friend about 2-3 months ago and he couldn't get it.

It's a sweet deal, 5K points for basically doing nothing. I guess they hope that eventually you will say "I need to conserve my cash this month so I will carry a balance."
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
[Circular link removed after merging]
Thanks. Looks like I may actually get the bonus. I signed up so now fingers are crossed.

Last edited by mia; Feb 28, 12 at 1:40 pm
Old Feb 22, 12, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mileshound View Post
Thanks. Looks like I may actually get the bonus. I signed up so now fingers are crossed.
I did this a few months back and my points never came. It took a Secure Message to AMEX to get the points. Just keep track so you don't forget.

Old Feb 22, 12, 8:29 pm

Now for those that applied for this more than 60 days after receiving the card, please let me know if it results in an inquiry or not. I don't think it does, but I want to be sure.
Old Feb 22, 12, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by dickerso View Post
Perhaps our OP can elucidate, but IIRC, in prior editions of this, you only had to enroll in an automatic bill-pay that would pay off you balance even if you just sat there and did nothing, but it certainly didn't force you to actually carry a balance that would result in interest.
That is correct. One is not required to carry a balance or pay interest in order to get the points.
Old Feb 22, 12, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
That is correct. One is not required to carry a balance or pay interest in order to get the points.
The debate though is it's fairly well known that you can pay a charge balance any time between the due date and when the next statement prints and not have any issues (hence the "please pay by").

It's questionable whether you now loose that extra grace period by enrolling in this (IE: interest is charged) or not.

Quite frankly, the grace periods for charge accounts are quite short.
Old Feb 22, 12, 10:11 pm

http://www.americanexpress.com/payovertimeMR1

Shows 5k bonus and here are the T&C's:

1. To be eligible to get bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of enrollment in these features. Only one bonus offer per Membership Rewards account is permitted, and bonus points will be credited to your account within 6-8 weeks after enrollment. Maximum 5,000 points per account. Bonus ID: 7908 and 7906. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. To get bonus points related to this offer you must enroll by June 30, 2012.
2. Purchase Protection is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0951 or Policy PP-IND and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the policy.
3. American Express Card Baggage Insurance Plan is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0400 or Policy BIP-IND and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the policy.
Took me right to the enrollment bonus landing page and then the enroll now button worked fine for my PRG. No idea if the 5k MR points will post this way or not but be sure to take a screenshot, don't see how they can deny it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: