Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Business Platinum (USA) annual fee increase February 1, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:17 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

I saw a passing reference here...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....80&postcount=6

...but don't believe there is a separate thread to discuss how this alters the value of the Business versus personal Platinum cards for USA cardholders. Please mention if I have overlooked an ongoing discussion.

Effective February 1, 2008 the Business Platinum annual fee will increase from $395 to $450, same as the personal card. Additional Business Platinum cards will increase from $200 to $300 each, while the personal card continues to offer "up to three" additional cards for a single $175 fee.

One Business Platinum invitation I received includes this statement: The annual fees for Business Platinum Cards accounts opened prior to February 1, 2008 will not be increased at this time. I take this to mean that if you act now you will be able to renew at least once at $395/$200, but no promise that the fees will not change later.

Business Platinum offers two benefits that are not included with the Personal card, and one drawback:

+ OPEN network saving on purchases from a handful of merchants, including American Express Giftcards, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta, FedEx, Hertz, Hyatt, JetBlue, etc.

http://www133.americanexpress.com/os...s.asp?us_nu=dd

While this is nice it's offered by every US issued American Express Business card. You could obtain these benefits by pairing a personal Platinum Card with a fee-free Business card.

+ Regus membership, entitling the cardholder to access the "lounge" area of Regus office facilities. (This membership is also bundled with American Airlines Admirals Club and Delta Crown Room Club memberships.)

- Business cards do not offer the same consumer protection as consumer cards. This is unimportant if you use the Platinum Card primarily for benefits and put most of the spending on another card.

If you need more than one card personal will be the obvious choice going forward because you can receive up to four cards for 450+175=$625, while a Business account with only two cards would cost 450+300=$700.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:33 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
wonder if this is cause the AA lounge additions
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
2 Fee increases within 12 months?!?
I'm out.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: Amex Personal PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
2 Fee increases within 12 months?!?
I'm out.
oh yeah, you're right. 2 fee increases in a year's time, so where are the benefit increases besides AA lounges??
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:18 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by 2thdoc
oh yeah, you're right. 2 fee increases in a year's time, so where are the benefit increases besides AA lounges??
Nothing that can justify a 50% total fee increase in under a year's time!
What is AMEX thinking?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
What is AMEX thinking?
That it can get away with it...
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by mia
I saw a passing reference here...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....80&postcount=6

Effective February 1, 2008 the Business Platinum annual fee will increase from $395 to $450, same as the personal card. Additional Business Platinum cards will increase from $200 to $300 each, while the personal card continues to offer "up to three" additional cards for a single $175 fee.

Did I miss something...I thought the Business Card was $125.00. Had the card fee free for one year - but will definately not renew. I have the Fideltiy Plat Amex and they are still $320.00(for now?). If its increased, then I may have to really re-think keeping it.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
I can not find anything about this on the amex web site does any one have a link?

If this is true twice in one year is a little much.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:22 pm

Programs: Amex Personal PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by jamflyer
Did I miss something...I thought the Business Card was $125.00. Had the card fee free for one year - but will definately not renew. I have the Fideltiy Plat Amex and they are still $320.00(for now?). If its increased, then I may have to really re-think keeping it.
You might be thinking of the Biz gold charge card, this thread refers to the biz platinum charge card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.