Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:33 pm

Have friends going on a honeymoon to South Africa. Wanted to book reservations at the Tasting Room (in Le Quartier Francais Hotel where they were staying) near Cape Town. The reservations only open 30 days in advance and book up quickly on Sat. nights. Called a few days in advance of 30 days, Concierge knew exactly what was up, said they would adjust for time difference and call (international calling) and make the reservation for our friends (used my Plat card to guarantee res), and even handled international faxing of the reservation guarantee.

Helped out b/c they called at 3am EST to make res, plus I didn't have to make int'l call.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:59 pm

I'm going to Sweden with some of my friends at the end of the month. We were thinking about visiting Norway, Denmark, and Germany but were unsure about costs.

I emailed asking for a comparison of flights vs. rail. They were unable to send me a list of flights and their costs (I would have to call Travel for that) but they gave me a complete breakdown (cost, travel time, amenities in class, etc.) of the different Eurail routes in less than three hours.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Listen American Express

I've had fantastic experiences with Circles, the firm American Express contracts Platinum Concierge to. I hope the relationship continues and that a rumor I heard today that AX is looking to switch proves untrue (I sit near the credit card group at a large NY IB with a similar competing product).
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Wyfind
I'm going to Sweden with some of my friends at the end of the month. We were thinking about visiting Norway, Denmark, and Germany but were unsure about costs.

I emailed asking for a comparison of flights vs. rail. They were unable to send me a list of flights and their costs (I would have to call Travel for that) but they gave me a complete breakdown (cost, travel time, amenities in class, etc.) of the different Eurail routes in less than three hours.
3 Hours is good? You could have done this yourself online (including the flights) in < 10 minutes....

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
I've had fantastic experiences with Circles, the firm American Express contracts Platinum Concierge to. I hope the relationship continues and that a rumor I heard today that AX is looking to switch proves untrue (I sit near the credit card group at a large NY IB with a similar competing product).
What do you get them to do for you that provides value...

I honestly struggle to come up with uses for the concierge. I do not have the patience to call someone on the phone for something I can do with a couple of clicks of the mouse or taps on my mobile phone myself. If it was something that actually saved me significant time or money that would be great... For the most part to me the concierge seems to be something of a bygone era before mobile apps and online tools. All the value has been sucked away. I have been told by the rep themselves once that all they do is search StubHub and the Amex ticketing system for tickets... I can do that myself quicker without calling anyone...

Originally Posted by levilevi
Have friends going on a honeymoon to South Africa. Wanted to book reservations at the Tasting Room (in Le Quartier Francais Hotel where they were staying) near Cape Town. The reservations only open 30 days in advance and book up quickly on Sat. nights. Called a few days in advance of 30 days, Concierge knew exactly what was up, said they would adjust for time difference and call (international calling) and make the reservation for our friends (used my Plat card to guarantee res), and even handled international faxing of the reservation guarantee.

Helped out b/c they called at 3am EST to make res, plus I didn't have to make int'l call.
Now this type of thing makes sense.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:30 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Got a reservation at one of the more popular reservations in Chicago (Bavettes) at peak dinner time on a Thursday night, with only a few days' notice.

I had previously called the restaurant directly and my choices were either 5:30pm or 10:00pm

^
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Originally Posted by brunes
Thankfully I asked at the right time, to be a beta SMS Platinum Concierge user. If not for the ability to text them 24/7 regarding anything, I'd drop the $450 card in a heartbeat. See below:

- Performed bid process and coordinated moving new furniture from Costco...Australia to my flat in the city

- Negotiated a 2 week loaner car from Ford Australia

- Performed bid process and coordinated moving 6 pieces of luggage in NYC

- Provided encouragement and support when I felt moving 10,000 miles away was a mistake

- Booked comedy tickets for a show that required call in purchases only

- Made reservations at a wonderful Italian restaurant when I only provided them the intersection I was standing at, and I asked for dinner recommendations

- Pulled strings to get me into the only decent luau on Maui at the last minute

- Announce my arrival to a hotel or nightclub (yeah yeah...)

They are very persuasive with merchants and go above and beyond. I believe a special team was selected for SMS because they're all extremely competent and even remember past conversations. It's discreet, fast and your request is resolved in minutes.

I've had the service for 1.5 years now and it hasn't been rolled out but I consider it a huge huge success.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by brunes

I honestly struggle to come up with uses for the concierge.
I have had 2 recent experiences:

1)Concierge was unsuccessful in getting me a res at a booked restaurant.

2)Concierge found me a hotel room in CLT for a weekend in which I was really having problems finding a room online.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:45 pm

Thankfully I asked at the right time, to be a beta SMS Platinum Concierge user. If not for the ability to text them 24/7 regarding anything, I'd drop the $450 card in a heartbeat. See below:

- Performed bid process and coordinated moving new furniture from Costco...Australia to my flat in the city

- Negotiated a 2 week loaner car from Ford Australia

- Performed bid process and coordinated moving 6 pieces of luggage in NYC

- Provided encouragement and support when I felt moving 10,000 miles away was a mistake

- Booked comedy tickets for a show that required call in purchases only

- Made reservations at a wonderful Italian restaurant when I only provided them the intersection I was standing at, and I asked for dinner recommendations

- Pulled strings to get me into the only decent luau on Maui at the last minute

- Announce my arrival to a hotel or nightclub (yeah yeah...)

They are very persuasive with merchants and go above and beyond. I believe a special team was selected for SMS because they're all extremely competent and even remember past conversations. It's discreet, fast and your request is resolved in minutes.

I've had the service for 1.5 years now and it hasn't been rolled out but I consider it a huge huge success.
Yeah that sounds pretty amazing... but I think the SMS service is US-only ( I am in Canada :/ )

Originally Posted by Hiltacular
I have had 2 recent experiences:

2)Concierge found me a hotel room in CLT for a weekend in which I was really having problems finding a room online.
So you looked at an aggregator like Trivago or Kayak and they could not find a room, but Amex could?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Success: Had the concierge suggest and book a dinner on Dec 25th in Houston.

Fail: Had the concierge order flowers for me. I sent them all the info, including the florist. They just ordered via the website and I wound up stuck with a $10.95 service fee from the site instead of had I called the florist directly.

Neil
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I'm curious to see what company they are thinking of now. Circles has generally been great, but a company like Quintessentially would be interesting...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Wow. Been on hold for 15 minutes now just to talk to someone. Never before more than like 2 minutes. Some message said something about a Taylor Swift concert.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Been trying to reach Centurion concierge for last several days; each time, I end up giving up after being on hold for a lengthy period. I have presently been on hold for over 10 minutes. Will probably give up again soon.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Been trying to reach Centurion concierge for last several days; each time, I end up giving up after being on hold for a lengthy period. I have presently been on hold for over 10 minutes. Will probably give up again soon.
Have you let Amex know about this through online chat?

Last edited by NYCRuss; Dec 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:12 pm

Blame Taylor Swift....Seriously...Not joking..Amex pre sale

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:56 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Is the SMS program new? I'd never heard of it.

Would love to be able to text instead of call. Where can I find info on this? Not seeing it on the AMEX Plat website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.