Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Amex Concierge- what have they done for you?

It's quite legal and pervasive Down Under. Amex isn't accepted widely to begin with and since my card bills in USD, Amex's conversion rate is about 1% higher than my Chase and Citi cards.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Plat concierge was able to get me a lunch reservation at Jean-Georges and dinner at Daniel a month out. Neither of these are terribly hard to get though.

They failed at getting a reservation at Per Se and even told me completely wrong information regarding solo diners there. I called Per Se this morning and was able to get a reservation at my preferred time.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Concierge got me reservations at Gato in NYC last Friday night. Confirmed the reservation on Thursday 5/22 for dinner on 5/23.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:16 am

For cases when tickets to an event or an item goes on sale online at a certain time (say midnight PST) and you need to rush to try to be the first - can one call the concierge and ask them to attempt to buy it for you, so you don't have to sit there pressing reload at 2AM yourself? I find myself in this situation a couple of times a year and if the concierge service could do it for me that would be amazing.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:19 am

They managed to find some Rausu konbu (kelp) and ship it to Switzerland for me.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by brunes
For cases when tickets to an event or an item goes on sale online at a certain time (say midnight PST) and you need to rush to try to be the first - can one call the concierge and ask them to attempt to buy it for you, so you don't have to sit there pressing reload at 2AM yourself? I find myself in this situation a couple of times a year and if the concierge service could do it for me that would be amazing.
I asked about something similar for a restaurant. If you do not call this restaurant, Per Se, right at 10 am a month before, you usually do not get in. They said they work their "special channels" to get the reservation. I would assume it would be the same for theatre or event tickets. But maybe not.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Just called the concierge for the first time in years for a rather basic shopping help question. Heading down to Atlanta next Thursday for my best friends wedding and was curious what the LV and Hermes there have in the way of swimsuits. Asked the concierge to call them and get pics+prices for me so I know if its anything I like which i can wait till I arrive and pick up, vs having to do something else. Guy said they would get back to me by Tuesday. 4 days? Kinda long, chances are ill call the stores myself tomorrow and see what they have.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:07 pm

They have gotten me ressies to French Laundry when otherwise none were to be had, as well as tickets to sold out shows at face value for the tickets. Love them!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Got rez for Girl and the Goat at 8:30pm on a Friday, unfortunately had to cancel...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Amex Concierge- what have they done for you?

Outkast is coming to Atlanta. No presales. Ticketmaster website froze for many, many people when public on sale time hit. Show sold out within 10 minutes - promoters immediately added a second show, then a third after the second sold out (both of those sold out within minutes, too).

I simply had called Amex a few days before, told them how many tickets I wanted at what price, and received an email with exactly that an hour or so after the first show went on sale, while many people I knew were skipping work and pulling their hair out trying to get through.

Cherry on top: The tickets booked through Amex did not incur that $2.50 online "convenience" fee from Ticketmaster.

^
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Ugh - to follow up my positive experience with concert tickets, I tried Amex Travel today after I couldn't get voyages-sncf.com to accept any of my US-based credit cards. I had the dates, train numbers, prices all ready to go. SNCF website had even assigned seats for me.

Call went something like this:
Me: Hi, I need help with train tickets in Europe.
Ax: Ok, what are your dates?
Me: August X to Y.
Ax: Oh, that's more than 30 days out. You can't book train tickets in Europe that far out.
Me: Um, I actually have a reservation on hold on the French website and it just won't process the payment, so I was hoping it would go through if you made it.
Ax: It probably won't go through because of the 30 days. Are you using RailEurope.com?
Me: No. I'm using the SNCF website directly.
Ax: I've never heard of that. We just use RailEurope and you can't book anything 30 days out. I'm sure you just have to wait.
Me: The people we are travelling with, who live in Switzerland, already bought their tickets...
Ax: They probably just picked the trains. You can't buy tickets this far in advance.
Me: Nevermind, I'll have our friends get extra tickets for us.

The worst part is that the lady kept interrupting me and wouldn't let me actually explain what I was trying to ask. It took me probably 30 seconds of trying to tell her that I would do it on my own, and her repeating that I needed to wait until next month, before I just hung up on her...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Ugh - to follow up my positive experience with concert tickets, I tried Amex Travel today after I couldn't get voyages-sncf.com to accept any of my US-based credit cards. I had the dates, train numbers, prices all ready to go. SNCF website had even assigned seats for me.

Call went something like this:
Me: Hi, I need help with train tickets in Europe.
Ax: Ok, what are your dates?
Me: August X to Y.
Ax: Oh, that's more than 30 days out. You can't book train tickets in Europe that far out.
Me: Um, I actually have a reservation on hold on the French website and it just won't process the payment, so I was hoping it would go through if you made it.
Ax: It probably won't go through because of the 30 days. Are you using RailEurope.com?
Me: No. I'm using the SNCF website directly.
Ax: I've never heard of that. We just use RailEurope and you can't book anything 30 days out. I'm sure you just have to wait.
Me: The people we are travelling with, who live in Switzerland, already bought their tickets...
Ax: They probably just picked the trains. You can't buy tickets this far in advance.
Me: Nevermind, I'll have our friends get extra tickets for us.

The worst part is that the lady kept interrupting me and wouldn't let me actually explain what I was trying to ask. It took me probably 30 seconds of trying to tell her that I would do it on my own, and her repeating that I needed to wait until next month, before I just hung up on her...
Unfortunately, I've had experiences like this as well. I was looking for a couple tickets to a MN Twins game and I wanted tickets in the Champions Club, but hey told me those tickets are only for season ticket holders, which is true, but they failed to try any third party vendors, like stubhub, which usually has a few tickets in this section for each game.

Sometimes they are pretty stubborn and they think nobody else is right.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
... I tried Amex Travel today
Who did you call? The Concierge, Platinum Travel Service, or American Express Travel?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Who did you call? The Concierge, Platinum Travel Service, or American Express Travel?
PTS.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Phoned yesterday CCS. Asked them if they could find tickets for next Saturday's quarter-final match (Brazil World Cup), since FIFA's site had them all sold out. The girl who answered said that they actually could find the tickets, and that she would email me the prices shortly.
I got the email an hour later. $2800 per ticket on the cheapest location. lol. FIFA's site sold them starting at $250. Total rip off.. I've only had great experiences with Amex Concierge .. but I just can't believe they are re-selling tickets to me this way..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.