Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Glad everyone here has had good luck with them. I have not. I've tried several times to get reservations at some of the trendier places in Los Angeles, and Amex continues to strike out. Granted my requests are usually the day of or the day before, but I was hoping Plat Amex would have a little more leverage. I've never tried in other cities and it appears from the posts above people have success, but in LA...not so much. Is anyone in other big meto areas seeing this?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: BA, Delta, USAir, Starwood, Marriott
Concierge - Restaurant Reservations

FYI: Concierge has only 1 table per night "reserved" at the places on the list. I have used them several times and if you call 1 week+ out they seem to be OK. If you call within 3 days of your date (especially a Friday/Saturday night) forget it. You have the same chance as if you had called the restaurant.

Beyond the 1 table they have held, they have NO PULL according to what the last concierge I spoke to said.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Originally Posted by ExitrowPlease
FYI: Concierge has only 1 table per night "reserved" at the places on the list.
Where is this list?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: Tap - Victoria Gold, AMEX Centurion
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
Where is this list?
It's called Platinum Dining

https://www134.americanexpress.com/t...ype=pcfdfinder
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Concierge was not able to secure me a Nintendo Wii at retail price.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: Amex plat, Hyatt, Hertz, Concierge Association-Colorado
Wii

Originally Posted by chewy3
Concierge was not able to secure me a Nintendo Wii at retail price.
Friday, 3:45 pm Mountain Time
Sears Online say they have some in stock for $249.99

Oops.... 3:47 - temporary out of stock

Last edited by proconcierge; Dec 7, 2007 at 3:47 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
Glad everyone here has had good luck with them. I have not. I've tried several times to get reservations at some of the trendier places in Los Angeles, and Amex continues to strike out. Granted my requests are usually the day of or the day before, but I was hoping Plat Amex would have a little more leverage. I've never tried in other cities and it appears from the posts above people have success, but in LA...not so much. Is anyone in other big meto areas seeing this?
Might you go into a bit more detail about where in LA you didn't have success? The only place I've found so far that PLAT was unable to get me a table at was Nobu in Malibu. As far as I can recall, every other time they have come through (memorable examples being Koi, which I called PLAT maybe 20 minutes before I was to arrive and they had a reservation waiting for me, as well as Cheesecake Factory; not necessarily a high-end restaurant but they do not take reservations, and wait was well over an hour, called PLAT who, within minutes, had me put on a "list" and I was seated in about twenty minutes). But I would be curious to know where you ran into problems.

By the way, little note about Nobu is that CENT concierge was unable to get me a table, either. So whether you're using a PLAT concierge or CENT concierge, seems like it gets you nowhere at Nobu. Although if you're fine sitting at a sushi bar, just arrive within an hour or so of opening (usually around 5:45pm I believe) and there is usually space at a sushi bar.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
Might you go into a bit more detail about where in LA you didn't have success? The only place I've found so far that PLAT was unable to get me a table at was Nobu in Malibu. As far as I can recall, every other time they have come through (memorable examples being Koi, which I called PLAT maybe 20 minutes before I was to arrive and they had a reservation waiting for me, as well as Cheesecake Factory; not necessarily a high-end restaurant but they do not take reservations, and wait was well over an hour, called PLAT who, within minutes, had me put on a "list" and I was seated in about twenty minutes). But I would be curious to know where you ran into problems.

By the way, little note about Nobu is that CENT concierge was unable to get me a table, either. So whether you're using a PLAT concierge or CENT concierge, seems like it gets you nowhere at Nobu. Although if you're fine sitting at a sushi bar, just arrive within an hour or so of opening (usually around 5:45pm I believe) and there is usually space at a sushi bar.
This is kind of amusing to me -- the one and only time I ever used the Plat Concierge in 15 years is to make a reservation at Nobu in Las Vegas -- which they did. However, I just call the restaurant directly now for reservations, it seems easier.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by opus17
This is kind of amusing to me -- the one and only time I ever used the Plat Concierge in 15 years is to make a reservation at Nobu in Las Vegas -- which they did. However, I just call the restaurant directly now for reservations, it seems easier.
I think the point is success rate using concierge when there are no tables available using traditional avenues.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, Delta Slvr, Amex Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
Ya, I think the reason Plat/Cent concierge may have luck when you don't have any by calling yourself is because it gives the restaurant the impression that you are likely to spend more money there than the average joe.

Common sense seems to say that, if you are paying $2500 or $500 just as the AF on a charge card, then you're probably less likely to order the cheapest thing on the menu, accompanied by ice-water, split the check 17 ways, and leave a crappy tip.
droopydog likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Of course, if you know in advance where you're headed, calling the restaurant is a safe bet. But when it's last minute and the restaurant won't do anything for you, Amex seems to have a lot of pull. Really is a valuable benefit to the card ^
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
It's hard to believe a nearly booked restaurant would sit on an empty table or two, waiting for a concierge to call.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: Amex plat, Hyatt, Hertz, Concierge Association-Colorado
well, maybe

It's hard to believe a nearly booked restaurant would sit on an empty table or two, waiting for a concierge to call.
From my experience, it's more of a case of the restaurant moving the guest to the front of the wait list. I've made many reservations on a Friday or Saturday when the room is sold out and the manager says " We like Concierges so we will take care of your guests."
And they do, because a hotel concierge can make 300 or more reservations a month.
R.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:10 pm

Only time that I ever used any CC concierge service was to book table at Nobu Vegas. It was done by whatever service BA Visa card uses.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
called the concierge for 2 trendy restaurants in Philly for this weekend on Sat at 8pm at Morimoto or Buddakan. Amex concierge could not come through. I would think the point of a concierge would be to get you into restaurants that you could not get yourself into. It seems they are just making reservations through Opentable b/c opentable shows the exact same availability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.