Amex Return Protection Program [Consolidated]

Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
returning it would be at your expense, and they are sticklers about the return protection terms, so I would read them very carefully in advance. They even contact the merchant to see if you really tried and weren't able to return the thing.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
I'm thinking of buying a $700 piece of furniture with a bad return policy. If it's poor quality and I can't get the store to return it, what will Amex do? Give me $300 and call it a day? Will they want me to somehow deliver them back a heavy furniture at their expense?

Thanks.
You're proposing committing basic fraud!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Sorry if this is clearly laid out in the T+Cs of the card, but i'm not 100% sure and wanted to check. If I bought something with a gold card that IS an eligible item for return, but the merchant has a policy to not return that specific type of item, am I eligible for return protection from AMEX?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Terms are here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Rev_09-17.pdf
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I bought an ipad 60 days ago and merchant won't take it back. The reciept only has the description of the item but it does not have the exact model number of the ipad. is it still possible to do a return with amex?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by happyvoid
I bought an ipad 60 days ago and merchant won't take it back. The reciept only has the description of the item but it does not have the exact model number of the ipad. is it still possible to do a return with amex?
That's actually not the matter.

IIRC - AMEX Return Protection has a maximum of $300. The cheapest ever iPad costs $329+tax from Apple. So are you willing to give up $60 in exchange of $300?

One word to solve your problem - eBay.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Reyurn Protection terms are now here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

I do not see any requirement that the receipt mention the model number, but review terms for other requirements, and note the $300 maximum reimbursement.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:30 am

I recently bought an item that was $1200 but the merchant returned $200 due to pricematch so on statement it shows $1200 then a week later it shows $200 credit. If I file an amex return protection request would it be denied for this reason or would it have any affect?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by happyvoid
I recently bought an item that was $1200 but the merchant returned $200 due to pricematch so on statement it shows $1200 then a week later it shows $200 credit. If I file an amex return protection request would it be denied for this reason or would it have any affect?
Regardless you paid $1,200 or $1,000, are you serious about forfeiting anything else other than $300?
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:39 am

N/A N/A N/A

Last edited by idkmybffjill; Jul 11, 2022 at 11:36 am Reason: N/A
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
“Presently this claim is still under review and an investigator may reach out to speak with you or set up a meeting to discuss your claim. If this claim is under review in 45 days, we will provide you with another status update.”

I just got this notice for a return protection claim. Anyone know what this is all about?
how many claims have you done and what item was it that you were claiming?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
“Presently this claim is still under review and an investigator may reach out to speak with you or set up a meeting to discuss your claim. If this claim is under review in 45 days, we will provide you with another status update.”

I just got this notice for a return protection claim. Anyone know what this is all about?
I guess it means they are reviewing your claim...not that unusual.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Yeah, I think the have instant discretionary abilities for under $100 or $125 but anything more or complicated goes to the insurance agency.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:01 pm

N/A N/A N/A

Last edited by idkmybffjill; Jul 11, 2022 at 11:36 am Reason: N/A
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
A lot of claims. They hired a firm called G4S (if you google, this has happened to people in the past) who sent out an investigator to take a picture of the items and send it back. And because of my high # of claims, there's apparently some woman at AmEx who is literally sitting there waiting for me to file any new claims, and she will ask me to send the items back to her. That makes sense for items where I am getting the money back fully, but say, I have a $600 item....I can get only $300 back on it from return protection. But then I have to send it in? Then I'm still out $300 and nothing to show for it.
Sooo... They should just give you free money every time and not expect anything in return? I think in the T&A it says that you may have to return the item so it's up to you to decide if it's worth $300 to give away or you keep it, but you can't have both.

Help is understand, what kinds of things do you return and how often that they need people assigned to you?

Are you an exceptionally big spender with amex and that is why they are tolerating it?

This seems like the kind of abuse that will ruin it for the rest of us like the REI return policy or Costco and electronics.
mia and krazykanuck like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.