Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Return Protection Program [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
A lot of claims. They hired a firm called G4S (if you google, this has happened to people in the past) who sent out an investigator to take a picture of the items and send it back. And because of my high # of claims, there's apparently some woman at AmEx who is literally sitting there waiting for me to file any new claims, and she will ask me to send the items back to her. That makes sense for items where I am getting the money back fully, but say, I have a $600 item....I can get only $300 back on it from return protection. But then I have to send it in? Then I'm still out $300 and nothing to show for it.
so does the firm meet at your home or do you meet at their office? and all they do is take picture of item
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A lot of claims. They hired a firm called G4S (if you google, this has happened to people in the past) who sent out an investigator to take a picture of the items and send it back. And because of my high # of claims, there's apparently some woman at AmEx who is literally sitting there waiting for me to file any new claims, and she will ask me to send the items back to her. That makes sense for items where I am getting the money back fully, but say, I have a $600 item....I can get only $300 back on it from return protection. But then I have to send it in? Then I'm still out $300 and nothing to show for it.
You need to be careful with this. I would not be surprised if you get a letter in the future informing you that Amex no longer wishes to have you as a customer. Unless you are legitimately extraordinarily unlucky, having such a high number of claims is a huge red flag.
Cat88L3 and Statman like this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
so does the firm meet at your home or do you meet at their office? and all they do is take picture of item
They came to my location. Yeah, took a picture and also a verbal statement. Also had me call each retailer to confirm the items were correct and had not been returned.
yydv likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You need to be careful with this. I would not be surprised if you get a letter in the future informing you that Amex no longer wishes to have you as a customer. Unless you are legitimately extraordinarily unlucky, having such a high number of claims is a huge red flag.
The poster you're quoting has no issue playing with fire or setting themselves on fire. If you look at the user's post history, they were shutdown by Amex about a year ago. How the OP is still operating, I presume is using a family members SSN and adding themselves as an AU, again, based off post history since he went through a FR a couple months ago and a large part of the issue was that the primary cardholder name didn't match any of the bank accounts the payments were being drawn from. It's probably only a matter of time before Amex fires this "customer" and the OP needs to find a clean SSN.

Many of us have done things that skirt the rules, but what this poster is engaging in is borderline if not straight up fraudulent.
Statman likes this.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Oct 4, 2020 at 9:11 am
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:43 am

Did Amex make you return everything then? Why buy all in the beginning knowing you'd return them?
Statman likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by ivanist
Did Amex make you return everything then? Why buy all in the beginning knowing you'd return them?
You're replying to a very old thread.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:11 am

Has AMEX cut back on service for return protection? Part of the reason I got a Blue Cash Preferred card is I heard such good things about how AMEX runs this program.

Filed my first claim a few months ago. Online I just filled in a few details about the purchase. Uploaded a store receipt and the AMEX statement the charge appeared on. A week later I checked the claim to see what was going on. And it looked like they had approved the claim the day after I made it,

This week, I filed my second claim.There was no place to upload a receipt or an AMEX statement. And there was this one weird question asking “date of incident”. Not sure what that meant, I put in the day I purchased the item. That night I get an email asking me for “proof of loss”. So I called AMEX and they told me “the loss” is me trying to return the item but being denied by the merchant. I asked how I could prove I did that cause it was just a phone call. And I was told I might be denied, but I could just send in a copy of the store’s return policy. So then I notice on the email they sent me, there’s no place to send anything in to. And the representative fumbles around acting like there’s no way that’s the case. Until he finally realizes it is, So he says he sent a message to the claim examiner, and they’ll send me another email. This morning I wake up and the claim is approved.

So I got both of my claims approved. But the 2nd time was far worse than the first time. Is this how return protection going to be from now until some point in the future when AMEX improves the process?

I had just heard such good things about how AMEX runs this program.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by levander
... question asking “date of incident”. Not sure what that meant, I put in the day I purchased the item. ....
It sounds as if you were using the Purchase Protection form rather than the Return Protection version.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: Yes.
So I just filed a claim for return protection...didn't realize best buys window was 15 days. Spent $430. Assuming it is approved do I mail them the item and they credit me $300. If so this would be a bad trade. So I would deny the approved claim and try to sell it on ebay? Alternatively, do they ever credit the $300 and don't require me to send it in (which seems highly unlikely)? I've not had any claims before other than a $200 fraudulent purchase someone put on my card a year ago.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by econjon
So I just filed a claim for return protection...didn't realize best buys window was 15 days. Spent $430. Assuming it is approved do I mail them the item and they credit me $300. If so this would be a bad trade. So I would deny the approved claim and try to sell it on ebay? Alternatively, do they ever credit the $300 and don't require me to send it in (which seems highly unlikely)? I've not had any claims before other than a $200 fraudulent purchase someone put on my card a year ago.
so what ended up happening did it get approved
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Yes.
They credited me $300 no return of item
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:02 pm

First time I used "the return protection policy". Bought a pickleball paddle on Jan 1st, and only used a few times. My teenager refused to use it again and I use a very different style of paddle. Called the merchant in Feb and see what option I have and was denied of any credit since it was after 30 days. I planned to take the loss and somehow on the 75th day, read about purchase/return protection. Filed a claim yesterday, no option to upload anything and was approved today.
AE never asked me to send the paddles back, is this normal? I may sell it or even give it away. Will they suddenly ask me to return the paddle in future? I wonder whether I should find a place to save it.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ou5603
First time I used "the return protection policy". Bought a pickleball paddle on Jan 1st, and only used a few times. My teenager refused to use it again and I use a very different style of paddle. Called the merchant in Feb and see what option I have and was denied of any credit since it was after 30 days. I planned to take the loss and somehow on the 75th day, read about purchase/return protection. Filed a claim yesterday, no option to upload anything and was approved today.
AE never asked me to send the paddles back, is this normal? I may sell it or even give it away. Will they suddenly ask me to return the paddle in future? I wonder whether I should find a place to save it.
If these were under $100 then at Amex discretion they sometimes don't make you upload any proof of purchase. They have stopped requesting items to be returned to them a number of years ago so no need to save the paddles.

Amex has however limited the card types which are eligible for return protection which are usually those with the highest annual fees such as Platinum (not Gold and Green), Hilton Aspire (not Surpass and regular), Marriott Brilliant (not Bevy and regular) and the like. I believe in this way they cut lots of the borderline fraudulent claims that were being filed excessively, some of which is even seen in this thread from a few years back when all Amex cards had this benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.