Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:02 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Checking arbitrary dates in February, C is $6874 (round trip).
sorry, I was looking @ expertflyer and didn't notice the 'one way' detail
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:23 am

The 2-for-1 deal works, but you have to do your research and be flexible.

I am flying JFK-NRT-JFK in May with the AMEX 2-for-1 deal on JAL. I have had the card for years, but this is first time I have used the 2-for-1 because it was a better deal than trying to use my points. A travel agent quoted me $8,000 for (2) BC tickets on DL, but they were restricted. For my situation, the extra $2,000 was worth it to fly on JAL and on a fully-refundable, unrestricted ticket.

So, (2) Executive Class tickets -- VIA THE AMEX 2-for-1 deal -- on JAL for $10,676. The same itinerary on JAL's web site is $13,700 PER PERSON.

You can use websites as http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ or http://www.kayak.com/flights to find out who services the itinerary you want and to determine a baseline cost.

After you determine who services the itinerary you want, call up AMEX and determine the best deal.

Plan to spend about a few hours on the entire process. This includes your research time and the time on the phone with AMEX.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Jan 17, 2011 at 10:01 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:10 am
wpj

you mean in matrix or kayak you find out the 10K cost or the 13K cost?

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
The 2-for-1 deal works, but you have to do your research and be flexible.

I am flying JFK-NRT-JFK in May with the AMEX 2-for-1 deal on JAL. I have had the card for years, but this is first time I have used the 2-for-1 because it was a better deal than trying to use my points. A travel agent quoted me $8,000 for (2) BC tickets on DL, but they were restricted. For my situation, the extra $2,000 was worth it to fly on JAL and on a fully-refundable, unrestricted ticket.

So, (2) Executive Class tickets on JAL for $10,676. The same itinerary on JAL's web site is $13,700 PER PERSON.

You can use websites as http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ or http://www.kayak.com/flights to find out who services the itinerary you want and to determine a baseline cost.

After you determine who services the itinerary you want, call up AMEX and determine the best deal.

Plan to spend about a few hours on the entire process. This includes your research time and the time on the phone with AMEX.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by wpj
you mean in matrix or kayak you find out the 10K cost or the 13K cost?
I paid $10k to AMEX for the 2-for-1 deal on JAL.

$13K per person is what is quoted for JAL on its and other web sites.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:14 am
wpj

thanks , and is there any way to find out the AMEX price without calling them?

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I paid $10k to AMEX for the 2-for-1 deal on JAL.

$13K per person is what is quoted for JAL on its and other web sites.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by wpj
thanks , and is there any way to find out the AMEX price without calling them?
No.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:47 pm

Amex IAP Not Truthful?

Am I the only one finding shenanigans with the Amex International Airline Program?

I knew the program only applied to a full fare unrestricted J or F fare but when I called them tonight to quote a trip to COL the agent quoted me a fare $3000 more than the unrestricted F fare I find on the Emirates site. Hmmm.

Then it really got weird. She quoted the taxes on the companion ticket at $771. When I pressed for a breakdown to see how much of this was fuel surcharges she insisted it was all government taxes. She even went so far as to quote the taxes on the paid ticket and tried to tell me the taxes on the companion would be the same (I don't think so).

When I indicated that the taxes couldn't possibly be almost $800 on a "free" ticket and asked for a breakdown she again said it was. I asked her to read what that line was labeled on her screen and she said "taxes."

Does this sound right? Is there really that kind of taxes on the companion fare or is Amex lying to people by telling them the cost is a tax when it's not?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:25 am

who cares what you call it taxes, surcharge, etc it is extra. The only time the IAP program "pays off" is if you have a third party who is paying for your ticket and your morals or ethics do not conflict with the fact you will paying a higher price than normal The only other time the IAP is worth it is when you have to make several changes to dates and times of your flights.

It has been well documented you can almost always purchase two discounted first or business class tickets cheaper than Amex IAP.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:02 am

I care. Maybe I'm the only one.

If they say the first ticket is priced to full fare then charge you $3000 more or tell you the cost for the second ticket is government taxes when most of it ends up in their or the airline's pocket, that is a problem regardless of whether it's a good deal or not.

I've got no problem with it being a a lousy deal but I do have a problem if they are promising one thing and doing another.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:28 am

ahhh...airlines and amex are both guilty of doing this..You can find several flyertalk complaint threads on the IAP program and when amex had the domestic 2 for 1.

The airlines are guilty of loading fares that seem cheap but when you get done adding the extras that are not all taxes but usually a fuel surcharge put the fare well above advertised price.

So what if they say it is a tax? Amex has been charging transfers out of the MR to US airlines a tax fee to customers based on .001 per mile. Is this a real tax?..NO imho

If you want to help mandate changes in the USA I think you will find a lot of flyertalk members who agree with you but unfortunately I think the USA government has bigger problems to deal with right now.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:54 am

You're missing my point.

If the program is supposed to apply to unrestricted J and F fares then it should.

If the cost associated with the companion ticket is represented as taxes then it should be the taxes not anything else.

I'm not objecting to the program because it appears to be a poor value, but because they appear to playing very loose with following the rules of their own program (that's the charitable view).

Has anyone else had the experience I'm having? IAP was very clear that a full fare unrestricted ticket is supposed to be eligible and that it should never cost more than. As for the bloated cost of the companion ticket the agent was unambiguous that the computer showed the entire amount as "taxes" not fuel surcharge or anything else.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman
... $3000 more than the unrestricted F fare I find on the Emirates site.
Most likely the fare you found on the airline website is not unrestricted. Have you looked at all of the published fares on the route using Expert Flyer or similar? If you don't have a subscription I can look it up if you mention the route and dates.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion
So what if they say it is a tax? Amex has been charging transfers out of the MR to US airlines a tax fee to customers based on .001 per mile. Is this a real tax?..NO imho
There most certainly is a very real federal excise tax of 7.5% of the cost paid for all airline miles sold to third parties that don't involve actual flights. Amex must pay this 7.5% tax on whatever it pays the airlines for the miles. They don't want to charge you the actual tax paid for a particular transaction, as that would be revealing the price they pay for miles to each carrier. So, they came up with the plan you quote where they charge $0.001/mile (with a per-transaction cap) to help them recoup their excise tax costs. They even explicitly disclose that this amount may be more or less than the actual tax paid on your particular transaction.

But it is a "real" tax that's being paid to the government, and not something like a "fuel surcharge" or "resort fee."
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion
who cares what you call it taxes, surcharge, etc it is extra. The only time the IAP program "pays off" is if you have a third party who is paying for your ticket and your morals or ethics do not conflict with the fact you will paying a higher price than normal The only other time the IAP is worth it is when you have to make several changes to dates and times of your flights.
Or, when you want to be able to cancel the tickets and get a full refund if necessary. Or, when you're too close to departure date to qualify for discounted fares. Or, when you want to fly on a particular route/carrier that the carrier doesn't discount with published fares because they dominate the market.

There are lots of situations where IAP makes sense. What it doesn't do is allow you to find the cheapest possible fare under any circumstances, then get a 2-for-1 off of that fare - but it's never been promoted as doing so.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman
If the cost associated with the companion ticket is represented as taxes then it should be the taxes not anything else.
The representative may not be able to provide the breakdown, but American Express does add fuel surcharges on the second ticket as disclosed here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/home...um-tandcs.html

International Airline Program:
Companion ticket requires purchase of qualifying First- or Business-Class ticket through American Express Travel Services with an American Express® Card issued in the U.S. Platinum Card or Centurion member's name on a participating airline. [Participating airlines include : Aer Lingus, AeroMexico, Air Canada, Air France, Air New Zealand, Alitalia, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, LAN, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, South African Airways, Swiss International Air lines, Virgin Atlantic]. Travel must originate in and return to a U.S. gateway (excluding Puerto Rico and overseas territories) or Canadian gateway. One-way travel permitted on some participating airlines where routing originates in U.S. Available service class (First or Business) determined by participating airline. Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights. Card member and companion must travel on the same itinerary. Non-refundable $78 American Express service fee applies to purchase and all ticket changes/refunds with Platinum Card (fees are waived for Centurion members). Companion ticket subject to government taxes/fees from $50 to $500 roundtrip, including a September 11th Security fee of up to $10. Total charge for the companion ticket may also reflect airline imposed fuel surcharges of up to $800 roundtrip. Companion ticket must be returned/cancelled before full-fare ticket is refunded. Not combinable with any other promotion, discount, negotiated group, or corporate-contracted rate, and may not be available on participating airline's code-share partners, i.e. flights marketed by the ticketing airline but operated by its partner airline. Participating airlines reserve right to modify fare rules/program participation prior to booking. Limit one companion ticket per Card member traveling. Tickets are not transferable or endorsable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.