Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Switching companies, need to keep rewards - Which card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, AmEx MR

Forgive this newbie to the forum, but I have an MR card (Corporate Green) that I will cease using as of May 31, since I'm changing jobs.

I don't know what my new company uses, or when I would get their card - so I'm looking for suggestions on the best, cheapest option for a new card that I can associate with my MR account so I don't lose all those points.

I think Blue is the best option for now - but I've heard some cards earn less MR points than others, so I was hoping for any recommendations anyone might have. Thanks!
Old May 15, 2007, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Blue, Knot, Nest, and Platinum Business credit cards participate in Membership Rewards Options, which is a diluted version of the program. You wouldn't earn any fewer points, but if you redeem it would require twice as many for certain rewards including transfers to airline and hotel programs.

All of the personal or business charge cards (Green, Gold, Platinum) participate in the full Membership Rewards program, and the difference is primarily in the benefits rather than the rewards. I would look for one that offers a waiver of the first year annual fee, and by the time it renews you will know your requirements.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Aha, that's what it was called.

Weird though - I used to have a Green Corporate card and a Blue card, both earning points. I paid a $75 annual MR fee for the Green card. So even though I had one card that "earned" MR and one that was part of MR options, I guess I would have been able to redeem points at the "better" rate because I was in the better program? Hmmm...
Old May 15, 2007, 11:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Correct. When linked to a full Membership Rewards card, Options points can be redeemed on the same basis.
Old May 15, 2007, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Cool, thanks! After reading through some other threads about Charge vs. Credit and Gold vs. Platinum, I think I might go for on of the the Gold cards, for now. Then again, besides 2 (or 1.5) points for travel-related purchases and fee-free extra cards, I can't see much difference between the Preferred Rewards and Rewards Plus Gold cards anyway.

I'm pretty sure I have an offer letter lying around somewhere from AmEx where the first year fee was waived from one of the Gold cards.

I just hope I didn't pitch it yet! Thanks!

Last edited by PitHokie; May 15, 2007 at 12:58 pm
Old May 15, 2007, 3:25 pm
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Blue may be the best choice in that case...

Originally Posted by PitHokie
Cool, thanks! After reading through some other threads about Charge vs. Credit and Gold vs. Platinum, I think I might go for on of the the Gold cards, for now. Then again, besides 2 (or 1.5) points for travel-related purchases and fee-free extra cards, I can't see much difference between the Preferred Rewards and Rewards Plus Gold cards anyway.

I'm pretty sure I have an offer letter lying around somewhere from AmEx where the first year fee was waived from one of the Gold cards.

I just hope I didn't pitch it yet! Thanks!
If I would be yours in that situation I would open an American Express Blue Card as a kind of "point storage" and credit card for the next months.

With the lowest annual fee available this credit card is functioning in the same way as any other colour does. Besides that the blue hologram design looks fine.
With that Card you can participate (e.g. in Germany) in both Membership rewards programmes:
+ the slow one with an "exchange rate" of 2 (local currency EURO should be similar in US??):1 points (called Compact)
and the faster
+ 1 to 1 changing programme Classic Membership rewards ! (for a higher fee)

So you could open that card before closing the old one and use it as a point storage. When you know how much you travel and how much you spend than you can change later on to another coulour if you are interested in such marketing and colour status games.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.