FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/674866-amex-usa-premium-car-rental-protection.html)

mangoMan Jun 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Amex Premium Car Rental Protection T&Cs?

I am trying to find out for sure if I enroll in the Premium Car Rental Protection plan that rentals using Hertz Rewards points will be covered (taxes and fees would be charged to the card).

I've read numerous threads on this, and it seems to be the answer is 'yes' but I wanted to confirm with Amex. I sent an email but haven't received a response. I called, and the agent said I would not be covered, but was quoting the rules for the secondary free coverage offered by the card. I didn't get the feeling she understood it was the Premium plan I was asking about. She said she could not send me the Premium plan T&Cs without enrolling.

My rental is next week, in Germany, and the card is an Amex Platinum, if that matters. The rental is for one week, and the entire weekly rental charge is paid for using Hertz points (shows up as a PC discount code), with the taxes and fees going to the card.

If anyone has the Premium Car Rental Protection plan T&Cs I'd love to see them.

mia Jun 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Start here:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...ce-mvt/home.do

Near bottom of page are links: View Coverage Details & View Summary of Terms and Conditions

If your question is not addressed I would call the Claims number: 1-800-326-2078

mangoMan Jun 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks mia, but I've already looked those links over and the question of coverage when the rental is paid with points is not addressed. The Summary of the T&Cs keeps referring to the 'plan documents' which are mailed to you after you enroll. And the number I called was the claims number.

I'm hoping someone who is enrolled can post the T&Cs relevant to my question.

mia Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm

This may be what you are seeking:

http://www.proandcontracts.com/wp-co...tal-Policy.pdf

mangoMan Jun 27, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks mia! ^ That sure looks like it would be the Premium Plan T&Cs.

It does not specifically exclude rentals with points or discounts (I believe the T&Cs for the 'free' coverage does have language to this effect). All it says is:

"Coverage is activated when the Cardmember uses an Enrolled Card to pay
the rental fee for the Rental Car and the Cardmember signs the rental
agreement for that Rental Car."

So it comes down to the definition of "rental fee", which is not explicitly defined in the document. I think arguing that rental surcharges constitute part of the rental fee is valid, and since those are paid with the card on my points rental, I would think I'd be covered. I plan on enrolling.

lakers6902 Jun 28, 2012 2:33 am

Amex Premium Car Rental Protection T&Cs?

When you pay any amount on the card, whether it be a 100 or 1 for taxes, the protection is activated. So point usage has no affect. I got in an argument on the phone with them because last year I was refunded when told this wasn't true, and this year I wasn't refunded. Called a few times and all the reps told me its covered.

mangoMan Jul 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Well, I signed up my wife for the premium protection plan and we charged two Hertz rentals in Germany to her Amex card. Both rentals were made with points and the taxes & fees were charged to Amex. No additional charges for the protection plan showed up on her statement. I assume we never were covered, but luckily nothing happened to the cars.

I verified online that her cards are enrolled, and when we returned from our trip there was a confirmation/info packet from the protection plan in the mail. Not really sure what happened here, but I am going to cancel the plan.

premb Aug 21, 2012 10:31 pm

I rented a car in Cancun and used AMEX premium car rental protection
1. The premium rental charge of 19.99 did not show up online or on my statement - i have used it before and they never fail to charge me the same!!!
2. i had a small accident and rim of the car was damaged. Thrify charged me $250 - I filed a claim with AMEX and they sent me a letter highlighting that "any tire damage" is not covered. I do i get them to cover my claim - it was a RIM damage, not tire
anyone had similar experience

TravelinSperry Mar 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Amex Premium Car Rental Insurance assistance?

Hi all,

I am currently considering selling my car and purchasing a non owners auto policy so I have liability insurance when I rent.

However I still need to figure out CDW. I'm going to be renting monthly. It appears that Uniteds Explorer card primary CDW insurance caps out at 15 days. But American Express' Premium Car Rental Insurance allows it to work for 42 days (and thus covers my monthly rental). Plus in CA it's only $17.95 for the month.

My question is... Is it 42 days per what period? That is, if I rent a car for one month, then return it, and rent another vehicle for one month (and of course purchase a second amex policy alongside it) am I covered again? So in theory I could rent 12 monthly consecutive car rentals and pay Amex 12 times and be covered for the year?

Here is the insurance I'm talking about: https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG

Thanks!

guv1976 Mar 13, 2013 12:21 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you determined that your non-owned auto policy will in fact cover you for liability on twelve back-to-back month-long rentals? Does the non-owned policy not cover damage to rental cars?

If the non-owned policy does not cover rental car loss/damage, then you do not need to use a credit card that provides primary coverage; secondary coverage will become primary if you have no other collectible insurance. And there are some credit cards that provide up to 31 days' free, secondary coverage, but probably don't cover back-to-back rentals.

To answer your question, though: the Amex Premium coverage is per rental, not to exceed 42 days per rental. Just make sure that Amex does not have any exclusion for back-to-back rentals on its premium coverage.

TravelinSperry Mar 13, 2013 1:51 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 20410520)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you determined that your non-owned auto policy will in fact cover you for liability on twelve back-to-back month-long rentals? Does the non-owned policy not cover damage to rental cars?

If the non-owned policy does not cover rental car loss/damage, then you do not need to use a credit card that provides primary coverage; secondary coverage will become primary if you have no other collectible insurance. And there are some credit cards that provide up to 31 days' free, secondary coverage, but probably don't cover back-to-back rentals.

To answer your question, though: the Amex Premium coverage is per rental, not to exceed 42 days per rental. Just make sure that Amex does not have any exclusion for back-to-back rentals on its premium coverage.

I haven't verified with USAA yet, but it appears to cover liability for any car you are in, anytime. It does not appear to cover damage. These the need for a credit card that covers CDW, but you are right primary/secondary is of no concern to me.

I also just found out USAA has a discount code with Avis that includes 100/300/25 for liability insurance, so I'm thinking I may not even need the non owners policy now. That seems like a decent amount of coverage.

PSPandBA May 8, 2013 4:38 pm

Amex Premium Car Rental insurance--no so premium [requires loss of use logs]

Used Amex PREMIUM car rental insurance for a fender bender I had with rental car company. In addition to damage, rental company charged "loss of use" and admin fee. Amex won't pay "loss of use" or admin fee. For loss of use, they need car company logs. Company says they are confidential and won't release. Car company (Payless) told me I should have used Visa card insurance, they pay loss of use and admin fee. Amex told me that there is a disclaimer on their agreement that they won't pay loss of use if the car company won't provide logs. So I guess I have to check with the car company to find out their loss of use policy before using Amex on a car rental.

LetsGoToo May 8, 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by AlaninPS (Post 20719682)
Used Amex PREMIUM car rental insurance for a fender bender I had with rental car company. In addition to damage, rental company charged "loss of use" and admin fee. Amex won't pay "loss of use" or admin fee. For loss of use, they need car company logs. Company says they are confidential and won't release. Car company (Payless) told me I should have used Visa card insurance, they pay loss of use and admin fee. Amex told me that there is a disclaimer on their agreement that they won't pay loss of use if the car company won't provide logs. So I guess I have to check with the car company to find out their loss of use policy before using Amex on a car rental.

Generally on an insurance claim, you have to prove loss of use. That is why American Express is asking for the logs. Is Payless willing to document it's loss of use any other way? If so, AmEx may accept that.

Practically speaking, if Payless won't show proof of loss, how do you have any way of knowing if what they are saying is accurate?

LetsGoToo May 8, 2013 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by AlaninPS (Post 20719682)

Btw, Hertz told me the same thing about AmEx when I had a claim last year. Guess what? AmEx didn't pay for loss of use and I never heard any more from Hertz about it. Just my experience.

littlemookie May 9, 2013 12:07 pm

This is common with almost all rental car claims. Loss of use is typically not paid by the insurance company (unless you are getting rental insurance from the rental car agency) unless there's documentation that the car would have been in use had it not been in the repair shop. In places/times where rental cars are not 100% rented this becomes a slight issue. It's a frustrating argument that may best be resolved by negotiating with the rental car agency directly. In your situation it's likely that Payless will never release the data to Amex and you're going to have to pay it out of pocket.