Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
I am not a lawyer, but such a court ruling "might" mean that payment is required by law. I would ask American Express' insurer if you are concerned about it.
Sure. I am hoping Amex will cover it.. will keep you posted
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Do you have to reserve the car with the registered AMEX to activate the premium coverage or can i reserve under a different card, but pay for the rental using my AMEX if the car was damaged.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by vijaykrishna
Sure. I am hoping Amex will cover it.. will keep you posted
Back in May I had to file a claim with Amex for damage to an Alamo rental car in Arizona. In addition to damage, Alamo made claims for Admin Fees, Loss of Use, and Diminishment of Value. Amex made a partial payment for loss of use (documentation received did not support the full amount Alamo was demanding,) and nothing for admin fees or diminishment of value.

The last correspondence from Amex was in early July, and I've heard nothing further from Alamo. Not sure if that is because they are just slow or if they are considering the matter closed. The difference between what Alamo was demanding and what Amex paid was less than $200; that may or may not be significant.

Last edited by Ratamacue; Sep 22, 2016 at 8:57 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ratamacue
Back in May I had to file a claim with Amex for damage to an Alamo rental car in Arizona. In addition to damage, Alamo made claims for Admin Fees, Loss of Use, and Diminishment of Value. Amex made a partial payment for loss of use (documentation received did not support the full amount Alamo was demanding,) and nothing for admin fees or diminishment of value.

The last correspondence from Amex was in early July, and I've heard nothing further from Alamo. Not sure if that is because they are just slow or if they are considering the matter closed. The difference between what Alamo was demanding and what Amex paid was less than $200; that may or may not be significant.
ok but what about diminshment of value... ? You paid out of your pocket ? and how much alamo charged for this diminshment of value and have you negotiated anything on it ?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by koctail
Do you have to reserve the car with the registered AMEX to activate the premium coverage or can i reserve under a different card, but pay for the rental using my AMEX if the car was damaged.
you have to pay at least a portion of the rental with your amex card that was enrolled in premium car rental protection. Please check with them once in detail if you are planning to use the benefit
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by vijaykrishna
ok but what about diminshment of value... ? You paid out of your pocket ? and how much alamo charged for this diminshment of value and have you negotiated anything on it ?
Amex paid nothing for that, and I haven't heard anything from Alamo since the claim was processed in early July.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:27 am

Amex emailed the adjuster that they can pay for property damage and a portion of loss of use...and adjuster sent a note to me that he wants to discuss with me and settle the remaining and he is unable to accept amex offer and would like to discuss with me and settle the remaining balance guys please advise... I am planning to talk to Amex claims team regarding DV value as per Montana's state
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I also had a claim with AMEX when I had a fender bender in HI. This was also May, it took almost 2 months before I started seeing movement on this matter. Both kept asking for lots of documentation. I signed a incident report so they could obtain the police report, but for some reason Amex said they couldn't get one but Alamo did.
I kept getting letter from Alamo demanding the deductable and was affraid they would turn it into collections.
Amex kept telling me they couldn't get the accident report but somehow Alamo got it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Eddie98
I also had a claim with AMEX when I had a fender bender in HI. This was also May, it took almost 2 months before I started seeing movement on this matter. Both kept asking for lots of documentation. I signed a incident report so they could obtain the police report, but for some reason Amex said they couldn't get one but Alamo did.
I kept getting letter from Alamo demanding the deductable and was affraid they would turn it into collections.
Amex kept telling me they couldn't get the accident report but somehow Alamo got it.
Did alamo charged you with any diminished value ? and who paid for it ?

Also just saw on Amex website they already paid the damage and loss of use to the adjuster...Not sure what is going to happen next

Last edited by mia; Oct 5, 2016 at 11:42 am
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:45 pm

Amex paid off Property damage and Loss of use... not sure what's gonna happen next
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:59 pm

Business cards?

Chase business cards give you primary rental car insurance coverage when used for renting a car for business only. What about AMEX business cards? Does it also cover rentals for business only?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kaitlin
Chase business cards give you primary rental car insurance coverage when used for renting a car for business only. What about AMEX business cards? Does it also cover rentals for business only?

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...nce-terms.html

Last edited by mia; Oct 21, 2016 at 6:18 am Reason: Remove snark
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:39 am

Same question. Are personal vehicle rentals charged to AmEx business cards fully covered? I'm charged the $25 fee on every rental and don't see anything in the AmEx terms to indicate that a rental charged to a business card has to be driven primarily for business purposes in the terms for either the standard AmEx car rental coverage included with every card or the premium AmEx car rental coverage that incurs the additional $25 fee per rental.

This link is broken.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by mster
This link is broken.
link works for me

Last edited by mia; Dec 15, 2016 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:05 am

There is no mention of AmEx small business card coverage being limited to rentals for business use in the FAQ or anywhere else I can find...

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/car-rental-insurance/faq.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.