FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   How long for a transfer of MR points into airline program? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/658678-how-long-transfer-mr-points-into-airline-program.html)

fallinasleep Feb 10, 2007 12:58 am

How long for a transfer of MR points into airline program?

I'm sure this has been covered several times but I'm having no luck with the search...

Approximately how long does it take to transfer MR points into miles? and can points be transferred into a friend's mileage account? Thanks!

Brobbel Feb 10, 2007 1:31 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep (Post 7196178)
I'm sure this has been covered several times but I'm having no luck with the search...

Approximately how long does it take to transfer MR points into miles?

When you have an FF-account, instantly up to a few days. When you're new for that FF-account a few days up to some weeks.

and can points be transferred into a friend's mileage account?

No.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

gleff Feb 10, 2007 7:10 am

Amex is 'live' with some programs, e.g. CO/DL/AC. In those cases the transfers are basically instantaneous.

In other cases Amex uses a slower process, sending over a tape with a batch, and it can take longer..

What airline are you thinking of transferring to?

fallinasleep Feb 10, 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 7196861)
Amex is 'live' with some programs, e.g. CO/DL/AC. In those cases the transfers are basically instantaneous.

In other cases Amex uses a slower process, sending over a tape with a batch, and it can take longer..

What airline are you thinking of transferring to?

Was thinking about Aeromexico, one of the more obscure FF programs out there, as I need to top up my account before the points expire into oblivion.

cactuspete Feb 10, 2007 4:07 pm

and can points be transferred into a friend's mileage account?

Yes.

mia Feb 10, 2007 5:08 pm

can points be transferred into a friend's mileage account?

Officially the points can only be transferred to a cardholder's frequent flyer account, but many report that transfers via the website succeed provided the name matches the frequent flyer account.

sbm12 Feb 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by fallinasleep (Post 7197589)
Was thinking about Aeromexico, one of the more obscure FF programs out there, as I need to top up my account before the points expire into oblivion.

Can you credit a hotel stay or car rental to AM instead? Seems like it would be easier to do than the xfer, unless you really want to spend the MR points for it.

mikeinseattle Feb 10, 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by fallinasleep (Post 7197589)

Please DON'T do it. I am suffering the consequences of transferrring to Aeromexico during a 25% bonus. Essientially, they never confirm partner space (ie. Delta, KLM, Air France) and after waiting 24 hours, the flights ALWAYS come back unconfirmed.

They also want your personal history to the 9th degree.

Mike

gleff Feb 11, 2007 5:40 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 7199647)
Officially the points can only be transferred to a cardholder's frequent flyer account, but many report that transfers via the website succeed provided the name matches the frequent flyer account.

Just to clarify, website transfers work as do phone transfers through the automated system.

cactuspete Feb 11, 2007 9:25 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 7201521)
Just to clarify, website transfers work as do phone transfers through the automated system.

Correct.