Centruion Card for bidding on eBay!!

Old Oct 4, 06, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
Centruion Card for bidding on eBay!!

Anybody noticed that the expired Centurion Card is now open for bidding on eBay at US$400! each.

I cannot believe that someone is doing this on ebay!

Isn't it that the card is the property of AMEX and should not be on sale??

Someone might buy the card and use it as a template for card information duplication and crime!

Is it legal to do this? Why is the AMEX not doing anything to stop this?
Old Oct 4, 06, 9:00 am
Ben

Programs: SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Kempinski Private,HH Gold,Interconti Plat,Sofitel Gold,AmEx Cent, Sixt Plat
Here´s the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/CENTURION-CARD-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Its unbelievable!
Old Oct 4, 06, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
Originally Posted by Ben
Here´s the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/CENTURION-CARD-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Its unbelievable!
What I find unbelievable is that there are already 18 bids and the price is over 500 dollars with nearly three days left! And the seller has only been a member since late June and has 9 feedback comments.

I like how the number is blacked out on the front, but the middle numbers show when seen from the back. Not that the number is of any benefit to the buyer.

And what about the description of the benefits, with free one night stays at every Mandarin Oriental and free companion transatlantic tickets?

Does the phrase, "There's a sucker born every minute" apply? It is a way of offsetting some of the annual fee. Not that I either have or plan to get a Centurion.

Whatever...

fuzz
Old Oct 4, 06, 11:17 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
cocaine

do you see the backside picture of the card?
the numbers are white

i think this guy did use it to make his cocaine rock smaller

well, i i might add an auction too, but adding that the card will have your own name on the card. how much will people pay for this?

dp
Old Oct 4, 06, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by derpelikan
do you see the backside picture of the card?
the numbers are white

i think this guy did use it to make his cocaine rock smaller

well, i i might add an auction too, but adding that the card will have your own name on the card. how much will people pay for this?

dp
Thats a good idea, lol order them a card and just cancel it. Hey maybe you can pay for your $2500 annual fee for a few years! lol
Old Oct 4, 06, 11:39 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Too bad it's an old plastic one. I have a new titanium one that I reported lost (and later got returned to me by police). Number is invalid, so the only thing they can get is my name. I wonder how much I can get for that on eBay.

edit- a quick search also yields this Centurion related listing (not a card, but still...) ebay
Old Oct 4, 06, 1:59 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
The Centurion luggage tags are always a good earner
Old Oct 4, 06, 10:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cardiology
Someone might buy the card and use it as a template for card information duplication and crime!

Is it legal to do this? Why is the AMEX not doing anything to stop this?
Think of the children! The sky is falling!
Old Oct 5, 06, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK
The Centurion luggage tags are always a good earner

Magazines as well ; )

Even the plain cardboard luggage tags sell, I must get me a new scanner !
Old Oct 5, 06, 3:38 am
Suspended

This must be an illegal seller.

The blurb underneath suggests that all the benefits of the card will still be available to the possessor of an expired card.

On that basis, the perks such as lounge access and a free night at the Mandarin Oriental are worth the price bid.

Trouble is, none of these perks apply to an expired card, and certainly not one purchsed online byn someone who does not have the same name as the cardholder.

Nice try though. There's one born every minute as PT Barnum once said.
Old Oct 5, 06, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
Expired Centurion Card Legal to be sold on ebay?

Is it legal to sell this expired card on ebay?
I though that AMEX has the ownership of the card, isn't it?
Old Oct 5, 06, 4:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cardiology
Is it legal to sell this expired card on ebay?
I though that AMEX has the ownership of the card, isn't it?
It does say use of the card is subject to the card agreement, whcih may or may not prohibit sale of the actual plastic/titanium.

It also says non transfereable, whcih I think would cover this transaction.

The card does have some intrinsic rarity value, and if titanium (which sounds pretty cool, BTW!) there is also the actual value of the metal.

What is being attempted here is I am pretty sure illegal per AMex T&Cs, and per eBay T&Cs being misrepresented as a sale of the benefits attached to an active card in the member's own name; the bidding reflects such value however none of these benefits will be received by the purchaser.

I would urge you to report this item.
Old Oct 5, 06, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
The best bit is the "warning" the guy posts on the ebay description about unsavory characters on ebay:

"A TIP FOR YOUR PROTECTION: Unfortunately, there are some unsavory characters operating on eBay who will allege to be a seller and offer to sell you the same or very similiar item to one you have bid. "
Old Oct 5, 06, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold; RBS Black; HSBC Premier WE; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
looks like its been removed now....
Old Oct 5, 06, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
It is quite amusing that this sale is seen in such a dramatic light.

You could think someone stole a child kidney transplant from a charity hospital and are excanging it for crack cocaine in a church building.

Someone selling a card which he/she is not supposed to sell, to people who are silly enough to bid for it. One is born every minute, no? Think about how many cards are lost, stolen, pinched, nicked and lifted in the world every day.

What AmEx should be doing - they should sell expired Centurions (or maybe give one free with every green Amex? )

Search this Thread
Search Engine: