FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Canadian Plat MR going down from 1.5>1.25/$1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/607034-canadian-plat-mr-going-down-1-5-1-25-1-a.html)

schnitzer Sep 28, 2006 11:22 pm

Canadian Plat MR going down from 1.5>1.25/$1

I just got news in the mail today about my Platinum Card (Canadian Issued)

The MR program is going from 1.5pts/$1 to 1.25pts/$1

What a downgrade..

You can still opt-in to earn 1.5pts/$1 but those earned points are not allowed to be transferred to any airline or pts program.

Is there anything I can do? What if I don't agree? Can I get my annual fees credited back? Can I negotiate anything?

My account is fairly new. (2 months)

antirealist Sep 29, 2006 9:40 am

I intend to cancel. The 1.5 pts/$1 was the main reason for having this card. It's my understanding that the annual fee is prorated, and you'll get a refund if you cancel early.

FYI, there are rumours that CIBC will be announcing an AeroPlat card shortly.

golf4me Sep 29, 2006 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by antirealist
I intend to cancel. The 1.5 pts/$1 was the main reason for having this card. It's my understanding that the annual fee is prorated, and you'll get a refund if you cancel early.

Never thought I'd be hoping for another CIBC card but AMEX has just diluted the Platinum card once too often since the old Canadian Airlines 1 for 1 days. I was going to cancel ( drop back to green ) but I'll wait till I hear more about the new CIBC card.

golf4me Sep 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Also, the AC companion ticket will no longer be offered.

ohcanada Sep 29, 2006 12:54 pm

It will be interesting to see if CIBC can take advantage of the opportunity.

There are a number of us who get the AeroPlat card "fee" as long as we maintain our regular Plat card, and the AeroPlat still has 1.5 points/$ for annuals spends over $25,000. As a result, if you switch your spending to the SeroPlat and spend over $25,000 per year, the change is only going to cost you 6250 MR points per year, although you are stuck with Aeroplan and cannot transfer to CO or Delta.

I'm going to wait until I see the CIBC product to decide whether to switch or downgrade my Amex.

bacan Sep 29, 2006 3:10 pm

Gold charge card also affected

I'm mourning the loss of the points accelerator service on the gold charge card (you used to be able to pay an extra $75 on top of the $130 annual fee and earn 1.5 MR /$ instead of 1 MR/$). This was the perfect option for me because I wanted to maximize my points without having to pay for all of the extra benefits of the platinum card. Too bad AMEX platinum just isn't for me. I don't put enough on the card to justify spending $4000 over the next 10 years for the ability to earn an additional 0.25 points/$.

Cascadia Sep 29, 2006 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by golf4me
Also, the AC companion ticket will no longer be offered.

What is this new "Priority Pass"?

I am not too crazy about these changes either.

schnitzer Sep 29, 2006 8:55 pm

i notice there's a thread similar in the air canada forum.. so what's next? do i cancel? we all have to phone in and voice our concerns. . press option #5 for cancellation / customer retention department.

dragon888 Sep 30, 2006 8:25 pm

Count me out. I got the same notice yesterday from AE Platinum. They increased the annual fee to $500 and buried it in fine print. I have pumped hundreds of thousands through AE only for the points. The companion ticket is a cruel joke. The AE card is hated by merchants and few stores seem to take AE. Reading the slick brochure that came in the mail then comparing it with the legal booklet enclosed makes you realize how deceptive these guys are. I also have a CIBC gold aeroplan card so I just put everything through it

got2go Oct 3, 2006 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by dragon888
Count me out. I got the same notice yesterday from AE Platinum. They increased the annual fee to $500 and buried it in fine print. I have pumped hundreds of thousands through AE only for the points. The companion ticket is a cruel joke. The AE card is hated by merchants and few stores seem to take AE. Reading the slick brochure that came in the mail then comparing it with the legal booklet enclosed makes you realize how deceptive these guys are. I also have a CIBC gold aeroplan card so I just put everything through it

This all just stinks, eh?
I am looking at the info. that came in my package...I don't see anything about the increase of $500 for membership...

I did notice that the Holt Renfrew Select tier (Holts Platinum card?) still has the $1/1.5 MR points that CAN be trasnferred to FF programs, including Aeroplan. Hmmmmmmm...

bacan Oct 4, 2006 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by got2go
I did notice that the Holt Renfrew Select tier (Holts Platinum card?) still has the $1/1.5 MR points that CAN be trasnferred to FF programs, including Aeroplan. Hmmmmmmm...

Sadly, not true. The Holt Renfrew tier also now earns 1.25 MR points. The only card I'm aware of that may not have been downgraded (or maybe it is just that the website hasn't been updated!) is the corporate platinum card.

got2go Oct 5, 2006 8:33 am

Originally Posted by bacan
Sadly, not true. The Holt Renfrew tier also now earns 1.25 MR points. The only card I'm aware of that may not have been downgraded (or maybe it is just that the website hasn't been updated!) is the corporate platinum card.

OOOPS, sorry...I missread the info. :(

schnitzer Oct 5, 2006 10:54 pm

so what should i ask for when calling in to complain about the devaluation of our points?

BradnerBoy Oct 16, 2006 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by schnitzer
so what should i ask for when calling in to complain about the devaluation of our points?

Don't waste your breath. They could care less what we say or think. If you threaten to cancel, they'll do it for you, on the spot. They've got their fingers on the "cancel" button as they answer the call :mad: