Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Thanks. I'll just call in instead. I assume I need their DOB and SSN?
Yes, that's all they asked (besides their names, of course).
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Yes, that's all they asked (besides their names, of course).
Use to be optional for authorized users...has that changed?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Use to be optional for authorized users...has that changed?
Amex asks, but you don't have to give them anything other then the name. At least I didn't.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:56 pm

Maybe there's a better place to ask this question, but I couldn't find any more relevant data than in this thread. Not too long back, I accidentally managed to add my wife as an AU to an Amex card of mine twice. I activated both cards and we have been using them both without problem so far for Amex offers. I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the various offers they've been giving lately to get bonus points for adding AU's, which would be easiest to achieve by adding each other to our accounts a 2nd time, but don't want to create any issues or get unnecessary eyes on our accounts. Lean towards not pushing my luck, but has anyone else had experience with this?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:51 pm

Yes you can have multiple AU cards for one person. I know of a trans gender person with a variation of the same name. I know a person who does it for account purposes with the same name to separate biz and personal.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
SPG bonus offer for adding AU

I got a bonus offer on email for 2500 starpoints to add an AU. I have already added my parents to this card for taking use of this offer before.

Thinking of adding another family member but this requires their SSN and I feel little weird asking for SSN when they won't be using the card or anything. What if there is a slight "typo" in entering the SSN? I am not trying to create imaginary identities but just feel it's weird to enter SSN for AUs.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:23 pm

Things have tightened up from "know your customer" regulations from the Feds. In the past you could call up and get away with a name and DOB. I am not sure if it works anymore.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Things have tightened up from "know your customer" regulations from the Feds. In the past you could call up and get away with a name and DOB. I am not sure if it works anymore.
You are right on the latter. If I call, I can still get away with name and DOB.

However to avail the 2500 points, I have to use the provided link.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I got a bonus offer on email for 2500 starpoints to add an AU. I have already added my parents to this card for taking use of this offer before.

Thinking of adding another family member but this requires their SSN and I feel little weird asking for SSN when they won't be using the card or anything. What if there is a slight "typo" in entering the SSN? I am not trying to create imaginary identities but just feel it's weird to enter SSN for AUs.

Any suggestions?
Others may disagree but this is bordering on the lines of identify theft.

How would you like it if a family member used your name for a card you had no idea about? A typo in the SSN or not....it could very well end up on their credit report.

Amex is very good at connecting people to SSNs. That's assuming you get by the first round of SSN validation routines to confirm the SSN exists and the name match score on the SSN is high enough. These exist - I have coded programs to use them to avoid the type of "error" you are suggesting.

In the end, you are probably playing with fire and a fake SSN is likely to get you no where.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Others may disagree but this is bordering on the lines of identify theft.
There's no bordering. This is identity theft.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you put your own number tbere?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:21 am

I remember a similar issue few years ago when doing MS.

Some VGC purchases required putting in DOB and ofcourse none of FTers liked it. So everyone "fat-fingered" on DOB. Now, some may argue DOB is not the same as SSN however intent is the same i.e. protection of personal information.

Anyway, I do share same concerns as some of you so I thought of checking before acting on it. Would AMEX agents (on phone) extend the same offer? OR could I remove an AU and then add them again in couple of weeks?

Originally Posted by azepine00
Can you put your own number tbere?
I haven't tried it. Wouldn't that be fraudulent action as well?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:00 pm

Activating Amex Card for Secondart cardholder question

Hey all,

I'm the primary on my business plat account, and I received 3 cards for my staff today which I tried to activate. Without having my employees social security numbers, amex wasn't able to activate the cards. Has anyone else had this issue? Last I remember, Chase didn't need this info. I don't have easy access to this info and need to get the cards activated today/tomorrow. Any suggestions or experience on dealing with this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by homerjsimpso
I'm the primary on my business plat account, and I received 3 cards for my staff today which I tried to activate. Without having my employees social security numbers, amex wasn't able to activate the cards.
How do you do employee payroll if you don't have their SSNs?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by homerjsimpso
Hey all,

I'm the primary on my business plat account, and I received 3 cards for my staff today which I tried to activate. Without having my employees social security numbers, amex wasn't able to activate the cards. Has anyone else had this issue? Last I remember, Chase didn't need this info. I don't have easy access to this info and need to get the cards activated today/tomorrow. Any suggestions or experience on dealing with this?

Thanks!
Give the authorized cardholders the cards and ask them to activate them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.