Wiki Posts
Search

CDN AMEX Plat - comp lower-end card?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
CDN AMEX Plat - comp lower-end card?

I have both the AMEX Plat (Canada) and an SPG cards. How likely do you think they will waive my annual fee for my SPG card for next year if I ask?

I like the benefits of the plat card but enjoy earning SPG points.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Don't bother. Just churn it every year.

This is what I told the CSR when I called in to cancel. I told them since everybody else is churning the cards, I would be stupid not to churn it. So they didn't even try to retain me by giving me any incentives. They just cancel for me and let me reapply.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

When I got my first spg amex (after having the old spg MC) they changed my spg# automatically, it was a bit of a hassle as the new # didn't have any status associated with it.

When churning the spg amex, has there been any issues with changing spg #'s or was that just a fluke with my account?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
I just applied for the SPG Amex again. I had cancelled it last year.

I do not think Amex will waive the annual fee for it, they would not for me. As jarusoba said, you are better off taking the 15,000 points and first year free by reapplying.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:27 am

My experience with AMEX is that they will not waive membership fee for renewals, even on high spending account. They will however give you gift cards and/or points to keep your business.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Don't bother. Just churn it every year.

This is what I told the CSR when I called in to cancel. I told them since everybody else is churning the cards, I would be stupid not to churn it. So they didn't even try to retain me by giving me any incentives. They just cancel for me and let me reapply.
Are you reapplying immediately after cancellation? I've heard, for Canadian cardholders, that a 3 or 6 month wait between cancellation and reapplication is good measure. It would be nice to cancel and reapply all at once in the same call.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
Are you reapplying immediately after cancellation? I've heard, for Canadian cardholders, that a 3 or 6 month wait between cancellation and reapplication is good measure. It would be nice to cancel and reapply all at once in the same call.
I did, canceled the AP Plat card and applied for the Reg Plat in the same call, got in just a few days before the cutoff for the raise in Membership fees.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yul36
I did, canceled the AP Plat card and applied for the Reg Plat in the same call, got in just a few days before the cutoff for the raise in Membership fees.
What about an instantaneous churn of the same card?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
What about an instantaneous churn of the same card?
My wife canceled her SPG card at the beginning of this month. She reapplied today and was instantly approved.

Don't know if she's going to get the 15K SPG points sign-up bonus. There is nothing in the T&C saying she can't. I saved a screenshot of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.