Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical evacuation benefit with USA Platinum ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

AMEX Plat Global evacuation benefit for AU?

Thinking of getting the AMEX plat again- parents are still traveling a lot but getting older. Was going to add them as AUs but wondered if the Global evacuation benefit applied to AU or just the primary card holder.

Thanks!

FDW
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
... wondered if the Global evacuation benefit applied to AU or just the primary card holder.
American Express does not use the term Authorized User in this way. Scroll back to THIS post and read the paragraph which begins: The following emergency services are provided to Card Members (including Additional Card Members)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by benolaa
This is not a transport service for home they will only transfer you to the nearest medical facility to accommodate your needs. I have a service www.globalrescue.com which transports you home. Although I am a member I have never needed the service (was close once and they were great) and I hope I never use it.
That's a pretty important point. Medical evacuation via airplane or helicopter must be enormously expensive. If you're in, say, an Indonesian jungle, they're probably not going to fly you to the USA mainland, Honolulu or even Singapore. You're heading to Jakarta. That's probably a very big improvement over the nearest town's medical facilities, but it might be inferior medical care than what you might be able to arrange in places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.
MDJennings likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
That's a pretty important point. Medical evacuation via airplane or helicopter must be enormously expensive. If you're in, say, an Indonesian jungle, they're probably not going to fly you to the USA mainland, Honolulu or even Singapore. You're heading to Jakarta. That's probably a very big improvement over the nearest town's medical facilities, but it might be inferior medical care than what you might be able to arrange in places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.
It might be back to the USA, according to this clause: "Medical transport and evacuation will be provided, at no cost, to the covered Card Member or family member, to another, more appropriate medical facility, or from point of origin back to a hospital near their home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician"
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by stheller
It might be back to the USA, according to this clause: "Medical transport and evacuation will be provided, at no cost, to the covered Card Member or family member, to another, more appropriate medical facility, or from point of origin back to a hospital near their home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician"
It might, indeed. But you've got to be in the boondocks, and you must have quite the unusual emergency medical needs before this Amex benefit kicks in.

Amex promises only to pay for your transportation to a competent hospital. Amex is not promising you a private jet, destined to the Mayo Clinic, with the world's best surgeons, ready to operate upon your arrival.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
It might, indeed. But you've got to be in the boondocks, and you must have quite the unusual emergency medical needs before this Amex benefit kicks in.

Amex promises only to pay for your transportation to a competent hospital. Amex is not promising you a private jet, destined to the Mayo Clinic, with the world's best surgeons, ready to operate upon your arrival.
True, but then no other evacuation insurance promises the latter either.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:34 pm

The evacuation benefit is for "the Card Member or another covered family member (your spouse or domestic partner, dependent up to age 23, or age 26 if full-time student)" ... but let's say I add my father and siblings as additional Platinum cardholders onto my Platinum account, will they then be entitled to the evacuation benefit as well?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
... let's say I add my father and siblings as additional Platinum cardholders onto my Platinum account, will they then be entitled to the evacuation benefit as well?
Yes, see post 77
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, see post 77
thank you @mia
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:28 pm
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
So again, do you need to pay for any portion of your trip with qualified AMEX to be eligible for the Premium Global Assist benefits?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:38 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fet
So again, do you need to pay for any portion of your trip with qualified AMEX to be eligible for the Premium Global Assist benefits?
No, you do not. I used this last year after I suffered a concussion on vacation and I was flown from the Bahamas to Miami. Amex handled the triage, booked and paid for all the flights and ground transport. No part of the trip was charged to the Platinum card. The benefit is for the cardholder, period. Was so impressed with this benefit that I made my entire family additional cardholders so when they travel they will be covered as well.
JDiver, ESpen36, Happy and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ymx

No, you do not. I used this last year after I suffered a concussion on vacation and I was flown from the Bahamas to Miami. Amex handled the triage, booked and paid for all the flights and ground transport. No part of the trip was charged to the Platinum card. The benefit is for the cardholder, period. Was so impressed with this benefit that I made my entire family additional cardholders so when they travel they will be covered as well.
Just curious, do you minding sharing what the cost for that was. The hardest part of getting EVAC coverage is guessing how much is needed.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
MedEvac can be very expensive, so it’s a great benefit. Particularly useful if traveling in one of those places (PNG, Vanuatu, parts of Indonesia etc. come to mind) where the solution is “when in pain, take the plane”. I know a few who have been evacuated with the Global Assist® agent (I maintain annual TCII and medevac through Divers Alert Network), and it works well. You must contact the company to arrange it all, however.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:06 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by crpeck
Just curious, do you minding sharing what the cost for that was. The hardest part of getting EVAC coverage is guessing how much is needed.
There was no cost to me - Amex covered all the costs.

My situation wasn’t a literal Medevac in that it was not a private transport helicopter or plane. I was booked on the next commercial flight out which departed in just a couple hours from the local airport. Had I had to pay for the two tickets (myself and my wife) I believe they would have totaled about $800.

if you are wanting to know the cost for additional cardholders - with the personal Platinum it is 3
additonal cardholders for $175 flat fee.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ymx

There was no cost to me - Amex covered all the costs.

My situation wasn’t a literal Medevac in that it was not a private transport helicopter or plane. I was booked on the next commercial flight out which departed in just a couple hours from the local airport. Had I had to pay for the two tickets (myself and my wife) I believe they would have totaled about $800.

if you are wanting to know the cost for additional cardholders - with the personal Platinum it is 3
additonal cardholders for $175 flat fee.
I have foreign homes for which the home insurance includes medical evacuation insurance of sorts. A family member who has the US Amex Plat had the option of using the Amex benefit or the home insurance benefit to get home from Jakarta (where the injury and hospital visit took place). The decision was to go with a home insurance benefit. The home insurance medical evac benefit came with QR business class travel home since the leg had to be stretched out according to the local Indonesian doctor of the relative’s choice. I didn’t get to find out what Amex would do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.