Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical evacuation benefit with USA Platinum ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
I've never had to deal with a medical emergency, but I've had a few situations where Global Assist has come into play, such as a lost wallet and a lost Driver's License in a situation where I needed to rent a car. In both cases, they were incredibly helpful and very intelligent. It is the opposite experience of using their concierge service, which is often incredibly frustrating.
What did they do about a lost drivers license?

The one time I tried thought of using Global Assist, I couldn't figure out how to get in touch with them.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SansSerif
... American Express will no longer reimburse you for transportation.
I don't think this is new. For as long as I can remember, the benefit stipulated that Global Assist had to arrange the transportation. However, they may well have rewritten the terms to give this greater emphasis.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think this is new. For as long as I can remember, the benefit stipulated that Global Assist had to arrange the transportation. However, they may well have rewritten the terms to give this greater emphasis.
I just read back a few pages in this thread and saw this too. The rep I spoke with suggested that at one point in the past AMEX would reimburse you for expenses. He said something along the lines of ("To be clear, we can no longer handle reimbursements ..."). This could just be my misinterpretation.

And for some reason I also thought there was a $100,000 cap on this benefit. I might be confusing this with some of their other travel insurance products, but I do distinctly remember a retention rep telling me a story of how he needed to be evac-ed while snorkeling and throwing out a $100,000 number.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:53 pm

So I don't know if this has been covered yet, but I just briefly scanned through my Centurion Insurance documents. I posting because I believe my Platinum insurance docs were similar back when I had it.

Essentially there's two services that include medical stuff:

1) Medical Assistance - Provides assistance in finding, using, and suggesting information on medical services. This is more of a medical concierge service. It sounds like they help assessing your situation and advising.

2) Emergency Medical Insurance - The actual insurance that pays for emergency medical costs when your traveling.

In the case of the Centurion program, both of these services are accessed through Amex's "Assured Assistance". I'm assuming that if you're traveling abroad and a medical emergency occurs, you simply call the number in the documentation, notify them of the situation, and notify them that you are requesting BOTH advice on situation, where to go, and that you need emergency medical coverage.

Personally I've actually saved this phone number in my phone, and advised all my supplementary cardholders to do the same.

You are supposed to call before you seek emergency medical services, however there is mention that they are aware that in some situations you can't and are supposed to call immediately whenever you get the chance (you can have someone else call on your behalf such as family, friend, nurse, or doctor).

I'd just recommend to you all to read the insurance docs that came with your card, or get a copy if you don't have them anymore. Read the documents, and think to yourself, what phone number and information will I need if I ever require these services.

Simply create a contact in your phone, and put all the important information inside of the notes.

All in all, it makes me feel comforted. I keep on wondering what it would feel like to be somewhere where English isn't spoken fluently and having some type of medical emergency... It's awesome that a phone call away someone will be there to help and advise.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Zhariak
2) Emergency Medical Insurance - The actual insurance that pays for emergency medical costs when your traveling.
I do not think that USA-issued American Express Platinum cards include any coverage for the cost of medical treatment. I see:

Premium Global Assist Hotline
When you travel more than 100 miles from home, you have 24/7 medical, legal, financial or other select emergency coordination and assistance services, including medical and legal referrals, passport replacement, cash wires and more. Card Members may be responsible for the costs charged by third-party service providers.

While the Premium Global Assist® Hotline coordination and assistance services are offered at no additional charge from American Express, Card Members may be responsible for the costs charged by third-party service providers. Premium Global Assist Hotline can provide emergency medical transportation assistance only if approved and coordinated by Premium Global Assist Hotline. For full Terms and Conditions call 1-800-345-AMEX or see americanexpress.com/GAterms
If you follow the link to the terms, you see:

Premium Global Assist Hotline does not cover medical expenses (with the exception of cost incurred during the transport) nor transportation of personal possessions including luggage.
...and a similar caution is displayed in connection with several other benefits.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
There also was "Travel Medical Insurance" offered by Amex in the past for $13.00 or $18.00 per month (price varies by age of covered persons). I opted into that long ago, but appears it has been cancelled for new sign ups. I'm grandfathered in. It does cover all medical, dental and emergency evacuation expenses including flying a family member to your bedside if you're hospialized for more than 5 days. The cap is $100,000. I wonder if some people are mistakenly remembering this optional insurance coverage for the global assistance program Amex offers. This optional plan also requires you to go through the global assistance department to obtain coverage.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I do not think that USA-issued American Express Platinum cards include any coverage for the cost of medical treatment. I see:

If you follow the link to the terms, you see:

...and a similar caution is displayed in connection with several other benefits.
Oh, maybe the medical insurance is a Cent thing... Anyways, can't you purchase additional medical insurance when travelling with plat when booking through travel services?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jandersinc
There also was "Travel Medical Insurance" offered by Amex in the past for $13.00 or $18.00 per month (price varies by age of covered persons). ... The cap is $100,000.
This could be what I was thinking of, but I was convinced that the $100,000 cap applied to transport too. I guess I was just delusional.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:07 pm

I was going to suggest buying the Amex Medical Protection Coverage. It covers the doctors bills and medical evac. We signed up 2 years ago. Haven't had a chance to 'try' the coverage (thankfully). They just reupped us, but I notice that they are no longer accepting new subscribers..
Old May 10, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Amex Platinum underrated 6 figure+ benefit (Emergency Medical Evacuation)

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-saves-275000/http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/05/10/know-benefits-amex-platinum-medical-evacuation-claim-award-ticket-saves-275000/

The American Express Platinum evacuation benefit was incredible. His flight home would have cost $275,000 otherwise.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just called them and they said that if their medical team decided that transportation was necessary they would transport you to a hospital that can treat you properly, so long as you are more than 100 miles from home on a trip lasting less than 90 days. You don't have to have put the trip on the Amex Platinum card; you just have to have that card. The benefit applies to the cardholder, his or her spouse, and any children under 23 (26 if in full-time college).
Old May 11, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by stheller
I just called them and they said that if their medical team decided that transportation was necessary they would transport you to a hospital that can treat you properly, so long as you are more than 100 miles from home on a trip lasting less than 90 days. You don't have to have put the trip on the Amex Platinum card; you just have to have that card. The benefit applies to the cardholder, his or her spouse, and any children under 23 (26 if in full-time college).
Who is "them" from this call?

Does this coverage come from just having the card, or do you have to enroll in the medical coverage discussed in an earlier post?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Who is "them" from this call?

Does this coverage come from just having the card, or do you have to enroll in the medical coverage discussed in an earlier post?
Sorry, "them" is Premium Global Assist, and no, you don't have to enroll in anything. It's a benefit that comes with the card.

Here's what the "PREMIUM GLOBAL ASSIST® HOTLINE1" PDF document says about the medical evacuation benefit:

"Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance
In the event that the Card Member or another covered family member (your spouse or domestic partner, dependent up to age 23, or age 26 if full-time student) traveling on the same trip itinerary as the Card Member becomes injured or ill while traveling and is seeking or has sought medical treatment, the Premium Global Assist Hotline medical department can assess the medical need for transportation and provide the service.

A medical evacuation may be provided at no cost to the Card Member or covered family member from point of illness or injury (when the Card Member or covered family member is under the care of a local medical service provider or facility) to a more appropriate medical facility or to a hospital near the person’s home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician. The Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician, in consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, will determine whether such transport is medically necessary and advisable. The event must be within the first 90 days of the trip and cannot be a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is any sickness, illness, or injury that has manifested itself, become acute, or was being treated in the 60 day period immediately prior to the start of a trip. The person needing evacuation may need to complete a medical information release as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (a “HIPAA Release”), or provide authorization for next of kin to complete the release. Emergency transportation services in connection with the medical emergency may also be provided to a covered family member pursuant to the full Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance Terms and Conditions at the end of this document. Subject to additional important terms, conditions and exclusions. Please see full Terms and Conditions at the end of this document.

Very Important: Any costs for medical transport not authorized and arranged through the Premium Global Assist Hotline Program are solely the responsibility of the Card Member and such costs will not be reimbursed. Premium Global Assist Hotline does not cover medical expenses (with the exception of cost incurred during the transport) nor transportation of personal possessions including luggage."

Here are the terms and conditions referred to above:

"Premium Global Assist Hotline - Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance
Description
The following emergency services are provided to Card Members (including Additional Card Members) with Cards providing Premium Global Assist Hotline, where (a) such Card is on an Account that has not been suspended or canceled, (b) Premium Global Assist Hotline was an existing benefit of the Card Account at the beginning of the trip, (c) the Card Member is traveling on a trip of 90 days or less, and (d) the Card Member is 100 miles or more from the Card Member’s American Express U.S. billing address. Additionally, coverage is extended to each of the following members of the Card Member’s family who are traveling on the same trip itinerary as the Card Member: the Card Member’s spouse or domestic partner, and dependent children under the age of 23 or under the age of 26 if enrolled in school on a full-time basis.
Access
Access to the following services is available 24 hours a day within the United States and Canada, via toll-free telephone call to 1-800-345-AMEX (1-800-345-2639), and from outside the United States and Canada via a collect telephone call to 1-715-343-7979 or via fax to 1-715-345-1219.
Please note that any assistance provided by this benefit cannot be in violation of U.S. economic or trade sanctions. In addition, assistance is not provided for travel to Cuba.
Services
Premium Global Assist Hotline (“PGA”) shall provide, at no cost except as specifically noted herein, the following emergency services to covered Card Members and family members:
A. Emergency information will be provided via telephone by a PGA-designated physician or assistance coordinator on the PGA staff, when the Card Member is unable to get assistance locally. Information will include the names, local addresses and local telephone numbers of the nearest medical service provider, such as hospitals and clinics; attorneys; or other providers of emergency services such as U.S. consulates or embassies, as appropriate and as dictated by the resources available in each country or location. Wherever possible, such information will be provided on two or more emergency services providers. No guarantee is made as to the quality of the emergency service provided, and the final selection of the provider, and any risk, shall be the sole responsibility of the Card Member.
B. Medical transport and evacuation will be provided, at no cost, to the covered Card Member or family member, to another, more appropriate medical facility, or from point of origin back to a hospital near their home, when the covered Card Member or family member is under the care of a local medical service provider or facility and when the PGA designated physician, in consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, determines that such transport is medically necessary and advisable due to inadequacy of local facilities. Eligibility for medical transport is contingent upon the covered Card Member or family member not 1) traveling against physician’s advice, 2) traveling with a pre-existing condition*, or 3) traveling to seek medical treatment. Decisions made by the PGA-designated physician and the local medical service provider as to 1) the medical need for evacuation, transportation and/or repatriation services, 2) the means and/or timing of any transportation, medical equipment and supplies and medical personnel to be used in connection therewith and 3) the selection of the Card Member’s final destination, are medical decisions based on medical factors, and as such, are beyond the control of the PGA Program and shall be conclusive in determining the need for such services.
8/9
Very Important: Any risks and costs for medical transport not authorized and arranged through the PGA Program are solely the responsibility of the Card Member and such costs will not be reimbursed. PGA does not cover medical expenses (with the exception of approved costs incurred during transport) nor transportation of personal possessions including luggage.
C. Medical assessment, coordination and monitoring of treatment of the covered Card Member or family member will continue, by all reasonable means, where medically advisable, until the Card Member or family member is released from treatment or is sent home. These steps will include an initial follow up by the PGA-designated physician with the local medical service provider or facility to discuss the preliminary diagnosis and evaluate the recommended treatment, and a contact by the PGA-designated physician or coordinator with the local medical service provider or facility, and/or the Card Member, as frequently as every other day throughout the hospital treatment period to monitor the Card Member’s or family member’s progress for the purpose of determining the adequacy and necessity of the treatment being provided.
D. PGA will handle billing for medical care (outside of approved costs of transport) as follows:
1. When the Card Member has indicated to the PGA administrative coordinator that he/she has health insurance that would cover the services in question, the administrative coordinator on staff will first ask the local medical service provider or facility to bill the Card Member’s insurance company and, if the local medical service provider or facility is unwilling to do that, will ask them to bill the Card Member directly, rather than requiring the Card Member to pay on site.
2. When a local medical service provider or facility refuses to provide needed medical services to a covered Card Member or family member without being guaranteed an advanced payment for such services, the PGA Program will, with the Card Member’s authorization, endeavor to obtain such payment from the Card Member’s family or other individuals indicated by the Card Member, or, with the authorization of the Card Member, will guarantee such payment and, if necessary, advance such payment up to a limit of U.S. $5,000 and charge the Card Member’s Account for the payment amount, subject to charge authorization by American Express.
E. Other emergency transportation services will be provided to covered Card Members in a medical emergency:
1. If a Card Member is traveling alone or with a child 16 years old or younger, or if a traveling companion who is not a family member has been required to leave the Card Member, the PGA Program will arrange and pay for round-trip, economy-class transportation for a member of the Card Member’s family to travel to the place of treatment, if it is reasonably anticipated that the covered Card Member will be hospitalized for ten consecutive days or more. The PGA Program will not be responsible for the cost of the family member’s meals or accommodations.
2. If any covered children who are 16 years old or younger are left unattended by the Card Member’s injury or sickness, PGA will arrange and pay for one-way economy class transportation to return them to their principal residence. (Any additional costs are the responsibility of the Card Member.) Should it be necessary for an attendant to accompany the children, PGA will make arrangements for a qualified escort to accompany the children at no cost to the Card Member.
9/9
3. If a decision is made to evacuate a Card Member to another medical service facility, PGA will arrange and pay for one-way, economy-class transportation for one other covered family member traveling with the Card Member to the Card Member’s principal residence, provided that the other family member’s ticket has become invalid as a result of the Card Member’s illness or injury.
F. Emergency message transmission will be made through the best efforts of PGA on behalf of, and at the request of, the sick or injured Card Member to the Card Member’s immediate family, next of kin, and a reasonable number of business associates.
G. In case of death of a covered Card Member or family member while traveling, PGA will provide the necessary administrative services to effect the transportation of the mortal remains of the covered individual back to the Card Member’s principal place of residence or place of burial, whichever is closer, and will pay all administrative and transportation expenses, and, subject to PGA’s approval, the cost of a coffin or other encasement of the remains suitable for travel.
Note: The above services may be limited or prevented by act of God, war, civil commotion, labor disputes, unavailability of goods or services, or refusal of permission by local authorities. If you have questions about Premium Global Assist Hotline, please call the Customer Service number on the back of your Card.
Important Instructions
• Always have your Account number ready when calling PGA.
• Please note that PGA must arrange all medical and covered family member’s transportation. PGA will not reimburse you for expenses you incur on your own.
• Whenever possible, call collect from overseas. In some countries, long distance calls may require operator assistance, and collect calls may not be possible in some countries.
• When dialing direct, give a phone number and exact location (hotel, city, street, etc.) where you can be reached.
*A pre-existing condition is any sickness, illness, or injury that has manifested itself, become acute, or was being treated in the 60-day period immediately prior to the start of a trip.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by stheller
That's good info, thanks for looking into it.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Certainly for the UK version of the Plat card you only have to pay with an Amex-issued Amex card (could be SPG, BA, etc.) for the travel delay/inconvenience elements to be valid. Medical cover is provided regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.