Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical evacuation benefit with USA Platinum ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, DL Reserve, Turkish Airlines Classic, HHonors Gold, Silver Marriott, Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by chollie
Sorry, for questions like this, I want my answers in print. I'm not going to rely on the word of someone on a phoneline, even if they are willing to provide a name/ID.
Ditto. I stopped believing people on the phone when a US Customs and Immigration hotline person told me I could not travel with a valid US visa on an expired passport and a valid passport together and that I had to merge them to be able to get in to USA, so I printed the exact question and answer on USCIS website and carried with me in my entire trip.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by chollie
Sorry, for questions like this, I want my answers in print. I'm not going to rely on the word of someone on a phoneline, even if they are willing to provide a name/ID.
well Amex doesn't seem to provide this info anywhere we all have looked. the one time i called them to verify coverage, I got myself travel insurance right after hanging up w/ amex
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...tbenefitdetail

Once there, click on go towards the bottom of the page and click "click here for complete benefit details" which will open up a document.

The first 5 pages cover regular Global Assist, but page 6 addresses the added benefits of Premium Global Assist.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, DL Reserve, Turkish Airlines Classic, HHonors Gold, Silver Marriott, Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...tbenefitdetail

Once there, click on go towards the bottom of the page and click "click here for complete benefit details" which will open up a document.

The first 5 pages cover regular Global Assist, but page 6 addresses the added benefits of Premium Global Assist.
This page might be out of date. their FAQ link is not working.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
... page 6 addresses the added benefits of Premium Global Assist.
Good find ^ .

I located the printed documentation which accompanies my Business Platinum card. It confirms: Premium Global Assist Hotline can ... arrange a transfer to a more appropriate medical facility, when deemed necessary, at no cost to you, even if an air ambulance is required.

In the accompanying Business Platinum Card Agreement there is a full page of (literally) fine print regarding this benefit.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Good find ^ .

I located the printed documentation which accompanies my Business Platinum card. It confirms: Premium Global Assist Hotline can ... arrange a transfer to a more appropriate medical facility, when deemed necessary, at no cost to you, even if an air ambulance is required.

In the accompanying Business Platinum Card Agreement there is a full page of (literally) fine print regarding this benefit.
So, I wonder when they "deem" it necessary? I have a friend who was just in Cabo, and she broke her leg (compound fracture). She paid for a med-evac up to Seattle, because surgery was required, and they didn't want it to happen in Mexico. I wonder what Premium Global Assist would have done? I'm intrigued by this now (along with the abovementioned "medjet").
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:53 am

'Premium Global Assist' (Formerly Travel Emergency Assistance)

I just received my plat today. I read through the entire thread on how to use my $200 travel benefit and now my head hurts... I think I'll take the easy way out and buy AA or UA/CO RCC passes...

As mia mentions, there is a lot of fine print in the 'Global Travel Assist' section of my 'additional card benefits' pamphlet.

Here is a pertinent snippet:

'Medical transprt and evacuation will be provided, at no cost, to the covered Cardmember or family member, to another, more appropriate medical facility, when the covered Cardmember or family member is under the care of a local medical service provider or facility and when the PGA (Platinum Global Assist) designated physician, in consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, determines that such transport is medically necessary and advisable due to the inadequacy of local facilities.'

Yes, the above is all one sentance....

'Cardmembers will be evacuated to the closest adequate medical facility as determined by American Express.'

'Decisions made by the PGA-designated physician and the local medical service provider as to 1) the medical need for evacuation, transportation and/or repatriation services, 2) the means and/or timing of any of any transportation, medical equipment and supplies and medical personnel to be used in connection herewith and 3) the selection of the Cardmember's final destination, are medical decisions based on medical factors, and as such, are beyond the control of the PGA Program and shall be conclusive in determining the need for such services.'

I'll let you decipher that as you wish...

Last, in reading the fine print it appears PGA will get you to the medical provider / medical facility, but they will not cover your actual medical bills...

If necessary, they will 'advance such payment up to a limit of U.S. $5,000 and charge the Cardmember's account Account for the payment amount.' (This is only if the local medical service provider is unwilling to bill your health insurance or bill the Cardmember for the medical services.)

How much value does this add to your AMEX Card? Hopefully none as no one would ever want to have to use this benefit...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: American 1 Million + Miles, Hilton HHonors Diamond, RCCL Diamond Plus
Lark,
Thanks for the post.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:00 am

It looks like it's a crapshoot. it just happens and you submit the expenses and see if Amex pays anything. However we're living in a world where a trip to ER with a chest x-ray can cost you 2,000 dollars.

Amen to that Lars' comment though, let's wish no Platinum card holder ever needs to use this service...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:11 am
mia

Originally Posted by xsailor
.... you submit the expenses and see if Amex pays ..
As I understand this benefit American Express will not reimburse anything after the fact, they must be involved from the outset and make the arrangements with the service providers they choose.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:26 am
mia

Originally Posted by aviators99
So, I wonder when they "deem" it necessary?
In another discussion of this benefit it was suggested that the risk of litigation creates an incentive for American Express to agree to evacuate cardholders who request it in marginal cases. I think this notion has some merit, but I don't know how to validate it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
and what is the upper limit of expense that amex will cover?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:52 am

Would all the family members need to have their tickets purchased on the Platinum card? and how far removed are they considered family members? Is it just immediate (spouse and children)? What about parents?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:20 am

Additional Information....

Originally Posted by xsailor
It looks like it's a crapshoot. it just happens and you submit the expenses and see if Amex pays anything. However we're living in a world where a trip to ER with a chest x-ray can cost you 2,000 dollars.

Originally Posted by mia
As I understand this benefit American Express will not reimburse anything after the fact, they must be involved from the outset and make the arrangements with the service providers they choose.
Under 'Important Instructions':

'Please note that PGA must arrange all medical and covered family member's transportation. PGA will not reimburse you for expenses you incur on your own.'

Additionally, PGA as I understand it will not pay for the 'chest x-ray' or any medical services. Their responsibility is to get you to a medical facility for treatment. Treatment itself should be covered by your own health insurance...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:22 am

I don't see this in the terms

Originally Posted by jmw2323
and what is the upper limit of expense that amex will cover?
In the PGA section, I do not see a mention of an upper limit of expense that is covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.