Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Centurion & Platinum Eurostar lounge access [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2001, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

Checking in at both Paris and London I entered the Premium First Class lounge with my normal First Class ticket. They looked at me like I was a peasant and told me that I couldn't use the club. So I flashed my Centurion Card and they fell over themselves to welcome me in. I wish it would work like that everywhere!
Old Jun 30, 2001, 8:21 am
dnw

Yes this is nice, especially as even regular First ticket holders aren't allowed in.

This benefit is available to Platinum members too.

dnw
Old Jul 1, 2001, 11:55 am

Programs: Various
I have never utilised the Eurostar Lounges, what are they like?

I had a slight chuclke recently at the British Midland lounge at Heathrow. Dressed in my best pair of jeans and a polo shirt I approached the desk at the lounge and showed my Economy ticket to be greeted by a "you cannot come in here look" and a sentence was started at which point I produced my lowly Platinum Card and they stopped dead in the sentence with a "Oh".

Thanks,
Richard
Gasolin likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2001, 12:13 pm
dnw

Eurostar lounges are ok, nothing special. A bit like BA's smaller Club Europe lounges. Given that they only let their Premium-First Class (not just lowly First) in, I expected a bit more... the one at Gare du Nord is much better than the one at Waterloo international (both offer the same nibbles and drinks but the Waterloo one is tiny)

In fact both times I managed to get my partner in too, which is strictly a no-no according to the rules :-)

dnw

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 07-01-2001).]
Old Jul 3, 2001, 9:18 pm

DNW, can you be a notch more clear about "this benefit"? Is "this benefit" admission to the Premium First lounge, no matter what kind of ticket is held for a same-day Eurostar reservation?

If I went to the Premium First lounge with the cheapest available (student!) coach ticket, plus my Amex Platinum, they'd let me in?! Awesome if true!... and should be documented by Amex somewhere, you would think...
Old Jul 4, 2001, 2:13 am
dnw

bedelman- the Premium First lounge is normally only available to those travelling Premium First (Eurostar has three classes: Economy, First, Premium First). However, if you have a (UK?) Amex Platinum or Centurion, you can get acess independent of ticket held. Even a student ticket.

In fact, I did just that last October- I bought a under-25 ticket for myself and partner (i.e. ultra-cheap) and on arrival went to the Premium First lounge, showed my Amex (at that time Platinum) and they showed me the way in... after a little flirting they let my partner in too although as said officially its cardholder only. Same worked at Waterloo.

Its the same access deal as the Virgin Clubhouse / BM Diamond lounge and is documented in the associated card Travel Packs.

dnw

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 07-04-2001).]
Old Jul 4, 2001, 2:25 am

This looks like a Amex PLAT UK feature. What are the chances that my German Amex PLAT will work as well?

Do they check the cards that carefully (number codes etc.)?

Cheers

P.S. Really looking forward to using Eurostar some day...
Old Jul 4, 2001, 3:02 am

It works for both french and german Platinum cards.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 3:04 am

...and for the International Dollar Platinum card.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 5:30 am

Cool. Thx. Ahrz.

Little bit off the topic, but is it worth going for Eurostar first class tix compared to second?

Didn't find any pix of the coaches and seats at http://www.eurostar.com ...
Old Jul 4, 2001, 7:11 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I always buy first class on Eurostar, You can still get very cheap tickets (<£120 return - standard is about £&0 return on cheapest tickets), and the service is fantastic. There's no meal at all in standard - in first you receive an airline "business class" quality meal, free drinks (including champagne), the seating is 3 across (instead of four), reclining seats, and every seat has a table (as opposed to a fold down tray table).
Old Jul 4, 2001, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Actually some of the First class seats have fold down tables. I always ask for one of the single side seats with a table between the seats.

The table is worth it for me so I can work. I also like the seat recline. But the meal isn't all that good. I usually have a nibble to tide me over to a proper meal in London or Paris.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 4:13 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Eurostar Lounges Ashford

Has anybody used the Plat card to access this lounge? We have a trip next month and I cannot find the rules regarding guests/children.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 4:53 pm

Programs: Various
Same as what VS Clubhouse access used to be, 1 card 1 person. No guests, on the children front you could try it if they are young;, say under 5.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Mar 17, 2002, 4:08 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
No guests, on the children front you could try it if they are young;, say under 5.

Thanks,
Richard
</font>
It's a shame the UK hosts think of children under 12 being 'quests' when travelling with their parents.

I suppose we could just leave them at reception whilst enjoying the facilities!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.