FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Woo Hoo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/455927-woo-hoo.html)

LyfeSaver Jul 25, 2005 2:42 am

Woo Hoo

HAHA. It's actually nothing surprising, interesting, or worth-noting. But I'm happy that I just got approved for Blue for Students from American Express.

Had credit history for the past 4 mo's, faithfully using only one CC from Bank of America w/ a credit line of 600 bucks, faithfully paying the bill in full every month EARLY, (except one month I left 100 bucks on heh.)

I thought I'd get started on establishing a relationship w/ AMEX cause I eventually wanna advance to SPG AMEX.

(I actually also signed up for UAL College Plus VISA.)

Did I do the right thing? lol When can I expect more offers from AMEX? (or more importantly, when can I apply for SPG AMEX?)

BTW, i'm in college. starting this fall. woohoo!

gunnar Jul 25, 2005 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Auracon
I thought I'd get started on establishing a relationship w/ AMEX cause I eventually wanna advance to SPG AMEX.

Did I do the right thing? lol When can I expect more offers from AMEX? (or more importantly, when can I apply for SPG AMEX?)!

I believe AMEX likes to see at least 6 months history with them.

For reference, I recently moved to the US and thus had no credit history whatsoever. AMEX was happy to give me a charge card based on me having had one with them in the UK. After six months with them I applied for the SPG AMEX and was approved with a decent limit despite still not having enough credit history to even get a score from Equifax and being turned down by my own bank. So, as silly as it may sound, this "establishing a relationship with AMEX" worked well for me.

SteveT Jul 25, 2005 10:48 am

Congrats on getting the card!

How did you get the B of A card? Was it a student card?

I always thought you had to be enrolled in college, not just accepted, before you can get a student account.

Are you going to a 2 or 4 year college.

The reason for all these questions is that I am helping my niece with establishing credit.

thistestname Jul 25, 2005 10:56 am

Originally Posted by SteveT
Congrats on getting the card!

How did you get the B of A card? Was it a student card?

I always thought you had to be enrolled in college, not just accepted, before you can get a student account.

Are you going to a 2 or 4 year college.

The reason for all these questions is that I am helping my niece with establishing credit.

Congrats on the Blue card.

You dont have to be enrolled but you do have to be registered so that you are in the univ computer system. For verification all the CCs ask for is address of college and sometimes student id and GPA.

If your niece has no credit think about Citibank student cards. They are very good and will probably approve despite the limited history. FYI, American Express makes a student green charge product if she wants to get into the MR game real early ( I know I did) but its not a starter card. You need enough credit history to establish a decent FICO score first.

Hope I helped.

SteveT Jul 25, 2005 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by thistestname
Congrats on the Blue card.

You dont have to be enrolled but you do have to be registered so that you are in the univ computer system. For verification all the CCs ask for is address of college and sometimes student id and GPA.

If your niece has no credit think about Citibank student cards. They are very good and will probably approve despite the limited history. FYI, American Express makes a student green charge product if she wants to get into the MR game real early ( I know I did) but its not a starter card. You need enough credit history to establish a decent FICO score first.

Hope I helped.

Thanks for the information.

Someone told me that getting a student Amex Charge is easier then getting a Student Amex Credit Card