Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caution: Car Rental Coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:59 pm

On top of everything already posted, one should be aware that most Amex cards (including Centurion and SPG) will not cover the "lost rental income" part of the bill from the rental company.

The best advice, IMO, is to avoid rentals when possible.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by bxwatso
....The best advice, IMO, is to avoid rentals when possible.
Yes - Even better, stay in bed ... if you go out anything and everything can happen!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:51 am

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by USAFAN
Yes - Even better, stay in bed ... if you go out anything and everything can happen!
A little flip?! Like a previous poster on this thread I have knowledge of insurance questions, but with a legal perspective as well. Of course you rent a car. But you do it wisely with the proper insurance in place. It's important to know what is covered or not. Otherwise you may be left with a sizeable bill as the OP had. It is not pleasant to tell people when their car is totalled that they have no car, only a monetary portion of what it takes to buy a new car *and* they still owe their lender the remainder of their loan. This may sound like doom and gloom, but it happens all the time. There are too many other complicated insurance situations to mention here. Don't just assume your credit card company is magic. However they can provide great coverage if you know their Tand C's.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bxwatso
On top of everything already posted, one should be aware that most Amex cards (including Centurion and SPG) will not cover the "lost rental income" part of the bill from the rental company.

The best advice, IMO, is to avoid rentals when possible.
I believe the only card that covers the "lost rental income" is Diners Club. I'm not sure if the Premium Car Rental Insurance Plan through Amex would cover it, but there is a premium that has to be paid for each rental.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 5:23 pm

I think some of the corporate Amex cards issued to large corporations cover auto rental insurance in total and as a primary coverage.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:45 am

Interesting discussion. I have AmEx (Platinum and Centurion), Diner's, VISA, etc., each of which provide some sort of car rental insurance coverage. Some cover CDW and some ALI, but none of the cards cover both.

However, when I rent a car I usually use Avis and since I live in Denmark and book through the Danish office, they always have an all-inclusive rate that includes CDW and ALI. Often this is not much more than a traditional rental without insurance included (and requiring the daily add-on for either CDW or ALI if I used a credit card that only covered one or the other).

Am I correct in assuming that by taking the car rental company's full coverage for CDW and ALI, if anything happens at all, I will have no hassle and it's covered? I know if I shopped around, I could probably do better on price to use another rental company and waive the insurance, letting it be covered by a credit card. But I figured peace of mind and avoiding any potential hassle of fighting with the cc company and/or the rental company in case of damage was worth something.

Is this correct thinking, or do I have a false sense of security by taking the full insurance offered by Avis?

Also, with regard to the issue of primary vs. secondary insurance, my personal car insurance is in Denmark and I don't have a clue if it would be considered primary on a rental car (usually rent in the U.S.). I'm almost certain it does not cover rentals, only one's own insured vehicle. So would AmEx insurance be primary for me when renting in the U.S. (if I chose to use it), since I have no auto insurance in the U.S.?

Susan
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, US Air Gold, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
This is a little off topic, but can we conclude that if you are going to rent a car using a Diners Club card is the best option (over an Amex).
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:43 am
Suspended

Zakami --

Sorry you had this issue.

The DC card is clear that coverage would not have obtained in your situation.

From the PDF of rental coverage benefits:

To get coverage:

• Initiate and pay for the entire rental agreement/contract (tax,
gasoline, and airport fees are not considered rental charges) with
your Diners Club Charge Card. If a rental agency promotion/discount of any kind is initially applied toward payment of the rental vehicle, at least one (1) day of rental must be billed to your Diners Club Charge Card.

DC does provide primary coverage up to $75,000 and lost income that the rental agency will not receive while the car is undergoing repairs:

The kind of coverage you receive:

• Primary Collision Damage Waiver Coverage will pay for covered damages on a primary basis for which you or any other authorized driver is legally responsible to the rental agency.

• Covered damages include:

– Physical damage and theft of the vehicle, not to exceed the limits outlined below.
Reasonable loss of use charges imposed by the vehicle rental agency for the period of time the rental vehicle is out of service. Loss of use charges must be substantiated by a location and class specific fleet utilization log.
– Reasonable towing charges to the nearest factory authorized collision
repair facility.
It is unclear to me that the $75,000 covers both "losses" or just damage to the vehicle. Still, it is far better than any other credit card out there.

Moreover, now that the DC functions as a MC, it is accepted everywhere! ^
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Kyle53719
I believe the only card that covers the "lost rental income" is Diners Club. I'm not sure if the Premium Car Rental Insurance Plan through Amex would cover it, but there is a premium that has to be paid for each rental.
Visa corporate platinum cards come with primary rental insurance and will cover lost of rental income

Visa Business Auto Rental CDW Program reimburses you for the repair or replacement of covered losses to a rental vehicle while it is your responsibility and while it is being used for business purposes. Only covered vehicle rental periods that neither exceed nor are intended to exceed thirty-one (31) consecutive days are covered.

This program is primary and provides coverage up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured. However, if the rental is for personal reasons, this coverage is secondary to any valid and collectible insurance from any other source.

Most private passenger automobiles, minivans, and sport utility vehicles are covered, but some restrictions may apply. Please contact the Program Administrator to inquire about a specific vehicle.

Covered losses are:

Physical damage and theft of the covered rental vehicle
Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the rental agency through a fleet utilization log
Reasonable and customary towing charges, due to a covered loss, to the nearest qualified repair facility
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Traveling Salesman
Visa corporate platinum cards come with primary rental insurance and will cover lost of rental income

Visa Business Auto Rental CDW Program reimburses you for the repair or replacement of covered losses to a rental vehicle while it is your responsibility and while it is being used for business purposes. Only covered vehicle rental periods that neither exceed nor are intended to exceed thirty-one (31) consecutive days are covered.

This program is primary and provides coverage up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured. However, if the rental is for personal reasons, this coverage is secondary to any valid and collectible insurance from any other source.

Most private passenger automobiles, minivans, and sport utility vehicles are covered, but some restrictions may apply. Please contact the Program Administrator to inquire about a specific vehicle.

Covered losses are:

Physical damage and theft of the covered rental vehicle
Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the rental agency through a fleet utilization log
Reasonable and customary towing charges, due to a covered loss, to the nearest qualified repair facility
That sounds very similar to the Mastercard Business CDW insurance as well. However, the question remains how they differentiate between business and personal use. As far as I know, DC is the only personal primary CDW insurance available that is bundled with the card. I believe Amex offers some premium car rental insurance, but they charge a premium every time you rent.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kyle53719
That sounds very similar to the Mastercard Business CDW insurance as well. However, the question remains how they differentiate between business and personal use. As far as I know, DC is the only personal primary CDW insurance available that is bundled with the card. I believe Amex offers some premium car rental insurance, but they charge a premium every time you rent.

$25 TO BE EXACT.

In addition, I seem to recall reading some notification issues that you have to go through with that sort of AMEX coverage whereas I do not recall there being anything like that with DC.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:42 am

I think Amex has grounds for an argument here because there were $0 in rent charged on the card.

What has me curious is if you used 1 free day coupon on a 3 day rental would they try this, or if you used a $10 off coupon.

I would call the state insurance commissioner for the state the rental occured in and get their read.

My father had a situation where he wrecked the car reserved with a gold card. He wasn't thinking and when he turned in the car he paid cash even after he called visa and reported the loss and verified coverage. Sometimes you don't think straight after a wreck.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jerry crump
I think Amex has grounds for an argument here because there were $0 in rent charged on the card.

What has me curious is if you used 1 free day coupon on a 3 day rental would they try this, or if you used a $10 off coupon.

I would call the state insurance commissioner for the state the rental occured in and get their read.

My father had a situation where he wrecked the car reserved with a gold card. He wasn't thinking and when he turned in the car he paid cash even after he called visa and reported the loss and verified coverage. Sometimes you don't think straight after a wreck.
He probably paid cash because in his mind set, he didn't want to provide a credit card so the rental company can charge it. He wanted to know what he was paying for. How did it work out?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: Continental Silver Elite, *wood Gold, HHonors Gold, WN
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Interesting discussion. I have AmEx (Platinum and Centurion), Diner's, VISA, etc., each of which provide some sort of car rental insurance coverage. Some cover CDW and some ALI, but none of the cards cover both.

However, when I rent a car I usually use Avis and since I live in Denmark and book through the Danish office, they always have an all-inclusive rate that includes CDW and ALI. Often this is not much more than a traditional rental without insurance included (and requiring the daily add-on for either CDW or ALI if I used a credit card that only covered one or the other).

Am I correct in assuming that by taking the car rental company's full coverage for CDW and ALI, if anything happens at all, I will have no hassle and it's covered? I know if I shopped around, I could probably do better on price to use another rental company and waive the insurance, letting it be covered by a credit card. But I figured peace of mind and avoiding any potential hassle of fighting with the cc company and/or the rental company in case of damage was worth something.

Is this correct thinking, or do I have a false sense of security by taking the full insurance offered by Avis?

Also, with regard to the issue of primary vs. secondary insurance, my personal car insurance is in Denmark and I don't have a clue if it would be considered primary on a rental car (usually rent in the U.S.). I'm almost certain it does not cover rentals, only one's own insured vehicle. So would AmEx insurance be primary for me when renting in the U.S. (if I chose to use it), since I have no auto insurance in the U.S.?

Susan
It is dependent on the policy, but the short answer is probably yes. I rented a van with some friends on a vacation a few years ago and we got the full insurance from the company just to be sure. It was a good decision--one of my friends crunched the side of it fairly thoroughly on Day 3 of the trip; we called and reported it and they said no problem b/c we had the insurance. We literally dropped off the car and left without any concern whatsoever or having to do any follow up work. This is peace of mind--but defeats the goal of getting coverage via AmEx!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Diamond
One thing I also found out recently is AMEX does not cover "large" SUV's, and trucks, unless you purchase their upgraded plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.