Amex platinum emergency card replacement

Old Jun 30, 05, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL1K,US Chairman's,wood plat,Marriott plat
Amex platinum emergency card replacement

I went surfing and some water activities today.Had the card in my wallet so I could pay for the jetski rental then my card was damage. I called Amex, the rep told me that I have to pay for the expedite fees if I want to replace it asap, then told me that they can't fedex to Hawaii because it's not within the 48 states, really confused.

Has anybody ever lost/damage their card while they are on vacation, out of town? I thought they could virtually mail off the replacement card to anywhere you are and no fees for Amex Platinum.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 30, 05, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K GS, Marriott Plat Prem, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, National Exec Elite
That is very interesting. All my American Express Cards, personal and business, have been expedited next day for free. I'm surprised that they can't expedite next day to Hawaii, and they certainly should be offering it for free. I have had cards replaced within 48 hours, often less, in Europe as well as Hong Kong. Try calling again and see what happens. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.
Old Jun 30, 05, 8:05 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
In February the American Express office in Venice, Italy manufactured a 60 day replacement card while I waited. The original card was issued by American Express in the UK, not the USA, and there may not be an office in Hawaii with this capability, but nonetheless it seems they could have had a card to you on Friday.

dennis
Old Jun 30, 05, 8:23 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
office

Originally Posted by mia
In February the American Express office in Venice, Italy manufactured a 60 day replacement card while I waited. The original card was issued by American Express in the UK, not the USA, and there may not be an office in Hawaii with this capability, but nonetheless it seems they could have had a card to you on Friday.

dennis

its benefit of platinum and centurion that you will get a free of charge card within 24hours.

in hawaii there is not amex office? they can issue temp cards normally.

and i got cards for example in germany , told amex get broken at 18pm, got it in the mail by express at 9am next morning.

to everything is possible.

dp
Old Jun 30, 05, 9:06 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
As noted, it probably depends on which Amex you have. Plat would be replaced at no charge overnight (I have done this), or within 2 hours at an Amex travel office (done that, too).

[Hopefully, I'll stop leaving my card behind in restaurants before boarding an aircraft.]
Old Jun 30, 05, 10:42 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
yeah

Originally Posted by mbreuer
As noted, it probably depends on which Amex you have. Plat would be replaced at no charge overnight (I have done this), or within 2 hours at an Amex travel office (done that, too).

[Hopefully, I'll stop leaving my card behind in restaurants before boarding an aircraft.]
and i even got one card delievered to a shopping center when i realized that my card was damaged one time. the amex office was 5mins away and a woman brought the new card personally to the shopping center where i was.

this was with my platinum card if i remember right, but again that days the platinum card was more than the centuruion card these days.

call amex and tell them that they have to deliver it for free within 24h. they will do.
Old Jul 1, 05, 3:09 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
As noted by others - Amex travel offices can replace cards in 2 hours.
Old Jul 1, 05, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Blue; RBS Black; HSBC Premier WE; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ozzie
As noted by others - Amex travel offices can replace cards in 2 hours.
1.5 hours for me. I was trying to be clever and try a "card flicking trick" with it...oops I snapped it. I told the Amex rep this, she laughed and said, "you can pick it up at the Amex office on George St any time after 3". It was just past 1.30

Chris
Old Jul 1, 05, 9:39 am
cwc

I think OP has a Amex "optima" plat. That may be the reason why he has to pay???

"Emergency Card Replacement
Enjoy the security and convenience of access to Emergency Card Replacement services by calling 1-800-964-8542 or visiting one of over 1,700 Travel Service locations worldwide. 5"

"5 Not all services are available at all locations and all services are subject to local laws and cash availability."

Last edited by cwc; Jul 1, 05 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 1, 05, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

It's a $395 annual fee card.

It's all solve, The card will arrive tomorrow by noon here at the hotel, free too.

The supervisor told me that the first rep I called did not have the right information.

Once again, Thankyou so much for all of your help here @forum!!!!!
Old Jul 7, 05, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to Amex and folks [email protected] Amex forum, once again!!!!!

After I spoke with the supervisor, she promised me that my new card would arrive by noon the next day.
I receive my card within 24 hours, it was last Saturday when it arrived. Had a call from the front desk that I have some delivery that need a signature from me, so I went down to a lobby and there was an Amex staff from Honolulu, very friendly and polite. She told me that originately the card was suppose to be fedex from Omaha,NE but it would take atleast three days to get here since it was fourth of July and Maui took 1 day longer. She flew from Honolulu to Kapalua airport and the Ritz Carlton courtesy hotel shuttle pick and drop her off (the hotel we stayed) That was unbelievable, top notch service.
Old Jul 8, 05, 10:18 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
As a matter of interest, did they deliver a permanent replacement card on Platinum card stock, or is it a card that is only good for a couple months?

dennis
Old Jul 8, 05, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bmwsociety2
Thanks to Amex and folks [email protected] Amex forum, once again!!!!!

After I spoke with the supervisor, she promised me that my new card would arrive by noon the next day.
I receive my card within 24 hours, it was last Saturday when it arrived. Had a call from the front desk that I have some delivery that need a signature from me, so I went down to a lobby and there was an Amex staff from Honolulu, very friendly and polite. She told me that originately the card was suppose to be fedex from Omaha,NE but it would take atleast three days to get here since it was fourth of July and Maui took 1 day longer. She flew from Honolulu to Kapalua airport and the Ritz Carlton courtesy hotel shuttle pick and drop her off (the hotel we stayed) That was unbelievable, top notch service.
it really is things like that that differentiate AMEX. I presume you are a customer for life!

(AMEX once got me out of trouble hitching-hiking around europe many years ago which made me a very loyal customer)
Old Jul 8, 05, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
I have twice had Plat's delivered FedEx first thing following day, both times while traveling (USA) and they were permanent cards
Old Jul 8, 05, 3:58 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by bmwsociety2
I went surfing and some water activities today.Had the card in my wallet so I could pay for the jetski rental then my card was damage. I called Amex, the rep told me that I have to pay for the expedite fees if I want to replace it asap, then told me that they can't fedex to Hawaii because it's not within the 48 states, really confused.

Has anybody ever lost/damage their card while they are on vacation, out of town? I thought they could virtually mail off the replacement card to anywhere you are and no fees for Amex Platinum.

Thanks for the help!
Happend to me several times.... usually can PICK UP the new card at the nearest AMEX office (AIRPORTS). Ask them for that. If it is in the US should take 2 hours to replace card.

Only exception South Africa, no card via FedEx or reissue, due to fraud risk

Search this Thread
Search Engine: