Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

US Centurion qualification jumps to $250,000 on May 1, 2005

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Centurion qualification jumps to $250,000 on May 1, 2005

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by csdavidson
He said my spend was fine.... Of course this could have all be BS, but he seemed genuine.

Chris
What is your typical monthly spend, if you don't mind us asking?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nimeta
What is your typical monthly spend, if you don't mind us asking?
My average (by taking # of MR points and dividing by number of statements thus far) is about £1800. However past 2 bills have been in excess of £2500 and it looks like it will stay that way, or at least average over £2000 for year. So my average when I called was probably about £1650 or so maybe a little higher.

Chris
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
My average (by taking # of MR points and dividing by number of statements thus far) is about £1800. However past 2 bills have been in excess of £2500 and it looks like it will stay that way, or at least average over £2000 for year. So my average when I called was probably about £1650 or so maybe a little higher.

Chris
In that case the required spend in the UK is much lower than I had anticipated. Also the fee is not so bad - much better than the US $2500. I am now interested in this and maybe I have a suitable spend wheras previously I was not too bothered!!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:22 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
American Express reports record earnings
AP Updated: 6:19 p.m. ET April 26, 2005

The New-York based company said Tuesday that profits totaled a record $946 million, or 75 cents a share, in the January-March period, up from $794 million, or 61 cents a share, a year earlier.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth I. Chenault said in a statement accompanying the report that the company's card business was especially strong — "We generated record earnings again this quarter . . .

He said that consumers, small businesses and corporate clients spent more on American Express cards

(Must be all of us who spent to get a black card last year

btw--I'm curious. Is the new 250K confirmed, or just a rumor.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: Leaders Program, Supreme Commander Platinum
Originally Posted by damon88
American Express reports record earnings
AP Updated: 6:19 p.m. ET April 26, 2005

The New-York based company said Tuesday that profits totaled a record $946 million, or 75 cents a share, in the January-March period, up from $794 million, or 61 cents a share, a year earlier.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth I. Chenault said in a statement accompanying the report that the company's card business was especially strong — "We generated record earnings again this quarter . . .

He said that consumers, small businesses and corporate clients spent more on American Express cards

(Must be all of us who spent to get a black card last year

btw--I'm curious. Is the new 250K confirmed, or just a rumor.

250K is confirmed in the US.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Supreme Leader of the Free World
250K is confirmed in the US.
Please note that 250K is not an absolute value.

The card is "by invitation only", and the 250K threshold is mainly to prevent thousands of people to call CS every week to get invited after they made a big charge
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by ahrz
Please note that 250K is not an absolute value.

The card is "by invitation only", and the 250K threshold is mainly to prevent thousands of people to call CS every week to get invited after they made a big charge
The 250K in the US is an absolute value for a normal person trying to get the card.

...? Please elaborate if you actually know something and are saying that there is a real method for getting the card other that meeting the spend requirements for someone that isn't connected (knows amex ceo personally) or famous.

Are you even in the US or using the US centurion card? From your location you are not even in the US.

Last edited by Supreme Leader of the Free World; Apr 27, 2005 at 7:09 am
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:14 pm

The 250K in the US is an absolute value for a normal person trying to get the card.

...? Please elaborate if you actually know something and are saying that there is a real method for getting the card other that meeting the spend requirements for someone that isn't connected (knows amex ceo personally) or famous.

Are you even in the US or using the US centurion card? From your location you are not even in the US.
ahrz is simply stating that it is possible to get the Centurion at below US$250k in spending. It is an invitation only card with unpublished requirements
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
ahrz is simply stating that it is possible to get the Centurion at below US$250k in spending. It is an invitation only card with unpublished requirements
Well maybe that is what you people from outside the US think , but all the reps I talked with said (last 3-4 months) they are not giving out invitations to anyone not meeting the minimum requirements period. No spend pattern, no possibly maybe, must meet the spend. In this, the US card seems to be substantially different from the rest of the world.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I agree and think this is how Centurion should be entered into ; no fixed requirements. OK so $250k is hard to reach for most people, but this doesn't guarantee exclusivity and that everyone holding the Cent card leads the "other life". I know a few people's parents using cards for all of their work purchases; for example fuel for a farm; that racks up past the $250k quite easy, but they don't go out drinking champagne every weekend or buy Gucci clothes...

Chris
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:31 pm

I agree and think this is how Centurion should be entered into ; no fixed requirements. OK so $250k is hard to reach for most people, but this doesn't guarantee exclusivity and that everyone holding the Cent card leads the "other life". I know a few people's parents using cards for all of their work purchases; for example fuel for a farm; that racks up past the $250k quite easy, but they don't go out drinking champagne every weekend or buy Gucci clothes...

Chris
I am not debating is it right or wrong or a good or bad way, in fact, spend pattern might even be a better way for the reasons you mentioned, but what I am saying is in the US that is currently NOT the case. No spend no card.

If anyone in the US has recieved a card other than achieving the spend requirements, please post what your situation was. I have only seen posts confirming what I am saying and only had about 10-20 different people at AMEX confirm the same thing.

Hmm...but the thing that is good about raw spend is it is easy. You are not getting hounded by requests for what is their matrix to ask people to join etc. I think the $2500/yr might be used in conjunction with spend (just what they are doing) to only get people with "money". Maybe they could up it to $5k/year and give more perks...

Last edited by Supreme Leader of the Free World; Apr 27, 2005 at 2:42 pm Reason: See my Hmmm...
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well maybe that is what you people from outside the US think , but all the reps I talked with said (last 3-4 months) they are not giving out invitations to anyone not meeting the minimum requirements period. No spend pattern, no possibly maybe, must meet the spend. In this, the US card seems to be substantially different from the rest of the world.
IIRC there have been a few US based members who said they got the card without spending $150k.

I'd run a search, but there are 383,336,646,582,434,689,957,211,587,623,976,215,68 7,648 threads talking about the same two or three issues re: centurion cards over and over again, so it's too much work.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
IIRC there have been a few US based members who said they got the card without spending $150k.

I'd run a search, but there are 383,336,646,582,434,689,957,211,587,623,976,215,68 7,648 threads talking about the same two or three issues re: centurion cards over and over again, so it's too much work.
Well then they can respond and we can get specifics. I think are are lost of people who have recieved the card in the last 6 months meeting the spend. I don't know of ANY that just received a random invitation...which is my point. You need to make the spend.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
There are always exceptions and soft criteria used in combination such as net worth, loyalty to Amex, travel/dining habits, lifetime cardspending, etc.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
There are always exceptions and soft criteria used in combination such as net worth, loyalty to Amex, travel/dining habits, lifetime cardspending, etc.
Great! Lets hear from them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.