Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting cash from AMEX Gift Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Getting cash from AMEX Gift Cards?

I got a $50 AMEX gift card the other day, and rather than try to spend exactly $50 or worry about doing a split tender, I was wondering if you can just get cash from it? I know they can not be used in ATMs, but can you go to your bank and just have them take the funds from the card? Any ideas would be a great help! Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:26 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Usually there is an 800 # on the back of the card. Why don't you call that number and ask?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
Usually there is an 800 # on the back of the card. Why don't you call that number and ask?
I did do that. They said they can not be used in ATMs, but they seemed to have no idea other than that. They said no, but it was a "I have no idea and I'm not going to put time into finding out" no. I just wanted to see if any FTers had insight.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by dspringer28
I did do that. They said they can not be used in ATMs, but they seemed to have no idea other than that. They said no, but it was a "I have no idea and I'm not going to put time into finding out" no. I just wanted to see if any FTers had insight.
I think you could use the Amex Gift Card, then credit it back to an existing American Express Card. That is the only way I can think of. Unfortunately the gift cards do not act the same as an Amex Gift Check.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Why don't you send the money to yourself or a friend with a Paypal account and eat the 2.9% fee?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Why don't you send the money to yourself or a friend with a Paypal account and eat the 2.9% fee?
Thats a pretty good idea, thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:28 pm

I got a $50 AMEX gift card the other day, and rather than try to spend exactly $50 or worry about doing a split tender, I was wondering if you can just get cash from it? I know they can not be used in ATMs, but can you go to your bank and just have them take the funds from the card? Any ideas would be a great help! Thanks!
Pay phone company with the card after you have paid in full for previous payment. This paid amount will show as credit and you can ask the company to sent you a $50 check.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
If the card has no name embossed on it (and no billing address), I doubt it will work on Paypal.

Some banks do process cash advances on American Express credit cards; you might want to stop by your local bank branch and see if they'd be able to cash out your gift card.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:00 pm

Programs: Centurion
Buy something for around $50 at any store that accepts returns, immediately return it, and get cash back.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pterostyrax
Buy something for around $50 at any store that accepts returns, immediately return it, and get cash back.
This is against the credit card merchant agreement and store policy. Refunds must be made in the original payment method only.

You might run into the same problem with the overpaid phone bill trick described above.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:10 pm

Make a purchase over $50 and tell the merchant that you only want to charge $50 to the AmEx card and pay the balance with another card. You surely will be making a purchase over $50 within a reasonable period of time. In fact, if gas prices keep going up (thank you Mr. President), it may cost you more than that to fill your tank.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:22 pm

I recognize this response is 10 year late however it came up as a Ask.com Search response to my similar question and I thought it may help Flyertalk members. I found this on the Amex website today:

These Terms and Conditions and the Card, and all questions about their legality, enforceability and interpretation, are governed by the laws of the State of New York, USA (without regard to internal principles of conflicts of law).

YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS

By using the Card you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions in their entirety. Should you wish not to be bound by these Terms and Conditions in their entirety you must, prior to using the Card, request and obtain a refund of the value of the Card by calling 1-877-297-4438.

I suggest you call them and say you do not agree with the terms and want a refund.

I hope this helps someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.