Community
Wiki Posts
Search

additonal cardholder

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
My friend was declined a card (by 1 point if that means anything). I kindly offered him an additional card on my account. He was happy, no annual fee and I get his MR points

The CSR told him that if he is put on as additional card holder, he would probably be accepted in 6 months if he reapplied.

All my additional card holders can call up CS. Unless I authorise them, they are not allowed to know the full balance (only what they have spent), change any of the main account details. They are also not allowed to know who else has a card on my account. My Gold cardholders have been told they should call up the Plat line and are able to use the concierge and travel services etc

Chris
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 925
No. It neither hurts nor helps. Unless you fail to pay the bill.
Sure it helps, especially if the primary cardholder whose account you're on has a long history with Amex.

It's especially useful for parents who want to help build their college age child's credit history. Even if they don't give the child an additional card, they can put him or her on as an authorized user, and the account will report to the credit bureaus, e.g., as "open since 1976" (or however long the parent has had an Amex card). A long account history is always a plus on a credit report, even if such account reports as "open" before the child was even born!

You do have to provide the additional cardholder's SSN to Amex for it to show up on his or her credit reports, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.