Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do Centurions think of this?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
What do Centurions think of this?

From Guardian on-line

The royal and usually discreet banker Coutts has belied its reputation for quiet dignity by entering the designer credit card market with a square of plastic designed to shout: I am very rich.

The new top-whack chargecard from the firm, which is now the private banking arm of Royal Bank of Scotland, hopes to sideline traditional posh liveries such as gold and platinum by using the ancient royal colour purple.

Designed by the tailor Ozwald Boateng, which will alone have cost Coutts a premium, the card hopes to draw on the origins of the colour as a Roman dyestuff that was more expensive, pound for pound, than gold. More than 10,000 murex sea snails were required to provide the purple for togas worn initially by victorious generals but later only by the emperor.

Users of the World Card face a problem unknown to Nero and company.

At first flash, the plastic might be mistaken for the humble Nectar loyalty card which got to purple first. The All Star fuel card, sure sign of a company rep rather than a jetset executive, is also a vivid mixture of purples, violets and mauves.

Coutts acknowledges it doesn't have a monopoly on the colour, but is optimistic its particular shade will change the spectrum of wealth at the upper end of credit.

Peter Littleboy, the bank's head of marketing and development, said that extras available to clients "of the purple" - in the Roman sense - would outdo rival prestige cards.

Apart from mere credit, the card includes an odd but carefully researched range of vanity offers, including a round-the-world trip by private jet and the chance to have one's biography written by a "top author".

Purple people will also have the sort of fallback described by a user of a previous Coutts premium card on the DooYoo website: his or her children were picked up from school by chauffeur-driven car, courtesy of the bank when the parent's car had a flat tyre.

Mr Littleboy said: "Coutts World is definitely a cut above, and by pushing up the standards in this market sets a new benchmark in terms of what consumers should now expect from a super-premium card."

The purple card also guarantees seats at Wimbledon through "hospitality packages", but it may be more of a marketing tool than a moneyspinner for the bank. Coutts will waive the £350 annual fee for the card for holders who spend more than £50,000 a year.
Not reported in the article but talked about on radio last night was the prerequisites for application:-

At least £500,000 in liquid assests
Personal worth of £2,000,000
Annual income in excess of £250,000
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
From www.couttsworld.co.uk

Cardholders have inclusive annual travel insurance (including 28 days’ winter sports cover). The benefits payable under the policy are matched to the needs of sophisticated international travellers and include emergency medical expenses, cover for baggage delay or loss, travel cancellation, curtailment and delay, missed connections, failure of public transport and legal expenses.

Priority Pass membership is included, providing the key to over 450 airport VIP lounges where there is space to work or unwind.

Once registered, Coutts World Card cardholders can collect AirMiles at a rate of one AirMile for every £15 spent on the card, increasing to one for every £12 whenever card expenditure exceeds £5,000 in a month

Airmiles pretty much ties in with the RBS/Airmiles link.

Otherwise it looks like a dumbed down version of the Amex Platinum: similar fee, PP, travel insurance etc etc. Although with those kind of requirements to get the card it may remain a little more elusive.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold; Amex Centurion; M/card World Signia
Got a mailshot informing me of the forthcoming arrival of this new card yesterday.

I'll post a run down of the features once the card / blurb arrives if that would be useful.

It is a replacement for the Coutts World Signia Mastercard.

Last edited by Zone Aargh; Nov 24, 2004 at 1:26 pm Reason: For clarity
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
From www.couttsworld.co.uk

Once registered, Coutts World Card cardholders can collect AirMiles at a rate of one AirMile for every £15 spent on the card, increasing to one for every £12 whenever card expenditure exceeds £5,000 in a month

Airmiles pretty much ties in with the RBS/Airmiles link.

One Airmile for £15 spend , Whats that around £10 k spend for a rtn econ To Paris + crazy amt tax , Thar two thirsd towards a 2 for 1 ( Plus the BA miles earned ) Give me BA amex any day.
Old May 16, 2008, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold since 2000, Virgin ex-Gold and heading down, Aeromexico, various etc etc
Concierge Service

As a Coutts World Card holder the best bit is the full concierge service that you get from Ten UK. I'm getting a great service that friends pay quite a large annual fee for.
Old May 16, 2008, 6:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk, Ed.

Would you care to describe some of the tasks which Ten UK has executed to your satisfaction?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:09 pm

Cancelled my Centurion a couple of years ago (when SPG Plat was removed) and have just moved to Coutts banking along with the World card. The points scheme on the card looks awful, and why they quote Easyjet as one of their travel partners, I don't know.

Anyway, am looking forward to trying out the concierge service and the Coutts banking option generally.

Last edited by influential; Sep 6, 2008 at 2:32 am
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:20 pm

These criteria for the new card seem less exclusive than the old card, based on articles I've read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.