Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion & Platinum benefits: comprehensive listings by country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion & Platinum benefits: comprehensive listings by country

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:09 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
Originally Posted by bmifly
I've been a bit confused about the UK Platinum car hire insurance cover when hiring a car in the US. From the T&Cs should I decline ALL insurance when hiring a car in the US. Is there compulsory insurance I have to get from the hire company?

Many thanks for any advice.

bmifly

for memory you can only exclude the CDW and you have to pay someother insurance - cant remember what they called it but it was about £20 for a week
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:01 pm

Would anybody be willing to list the benefits of US Centurion?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:24 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
If I cancel Centurion after 1 year, do I have to requalify via the $150K treshold or do I get automatic way back in due to prior qualification?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:16 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
you need to

Originally Posted by anandrag
If I cancel Centurion after 1 year, do I have to requalify via the $150K treshold or do I get automatic way back in due to prior qualification?
get a confirmation, that you can get it within a period. for example, no need to requalify until march 2006 etc.
amex will write you a confirmation on that
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
US Benefits

Originally Posted by PG
Could someone post or provide link to the benefits for US cardholders. Thanks.
Since I don't see this listed anywhere in this thread (and couldn't find a similar listing for US cardmembers), I'll write one up this weekend, when I hope to find some time to review the benefits - I haven't yet opened the package I received.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
US Platinum Card Benefits

Cost
$395 per year

Additional Cards
$175 each additional card per year

Lounge Access
Access to CO, NW, DL lounges if flying that airline only. For instance, if you're flying DL or AA, you cannot access CO or NW lounges.
Spouse & children under 21, OR two guests allowed.
NO PRIORITY PASS BENEFIT FOR US CARDMEMBERS

Car Rental Programs
Automatic enrollment in:
Hertz #1 Gold
Avis Preferred Select
National Emerald

Membership Rewards
Included in membership fee
Always the best available type of MR ($1=1 point standard, $1=2points for everyday purchases like cellphone bill, gasoline, groceries, drugstore etc.)

Communications
Special rates for:
International Cell Phone Rental
International Satelline Phone Rental
International Blackberry Rental

Insurance Services
Car Rental Loss Damage Waiver(LDW/CDW)
Travel Accident Insurance
Baggage Insurance
Premium Global Assist - Medical, Travel, Legal, Financial, General

Retail/Retail Insurance Services
Fee free enrollment in loyalty programs run by:
Neiman Marcus
Saks Fifth Avenue

1. Purchase Protection: If an item you buy is damaged and the merchant doesn't accept returns, AMEX will refund if the item is damaged within 90 days from purchase. Limit: $10000 per incident, $50000 per year.
2. Buyers Assurance: One year extended warranty
3. Best Value Guarantee: If the price of the item drops within 60 days of purchase, AMEX will pay you the difference.
4. Return Protection: Similar to #1, except that the protection is valid for 90 days from purchase, $300 per item, $1000 per year.

Lifestyle
Fine Dining & Hot Plates. Participating restaurants in the US can be found at http://www134.americanexpress.com/tr...ype=pcfdfinder
By Invitation ONLY events
Equinox Fitness Clubs: Your standard membership (that you purchase) is upgraded to the top tier automatically.

Platinum Travel Service
Assitance with reservations.
FREE companion ticket with purchase of FULL FARE ticket (with select airlines only)
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:45 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Visa Plat, Starwood Plat, Langham Elite, Qantas Club, Air NZ Koru
Platinum SPG membership

Originally Posted by Leumas
Loyalty Programmes
Hertz #1 Gold
Avis Platinum Preferred
St James' Club, London UK
Fine Hotels & Resorts and Cruise Privileges, the Platinum Hotel Program
Amex Wine Cellar
NZ Plat also gives you complimentary Platinum SPG membership that from what ?I can tell does not expire. I've been upgraded countless times at Sheraton's everywhere - Sydney Sheraton gave me a $1500 suite on a $160 standard rate!

You have to call to request this I don't think they promote it
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:52 pm

Programs: LH and BA
South Africa ?

Originally Posted by Glen_S
NZ Plat also gives you complimentary Platinum SPG membership that from what ?I can tell does not expire. I've been upgraded countless times at Sheraton's everywhere - Sydney Sheraton gave me a $1500 suite on a $160 standard rate!

You have to call to request this I don't think they promote it

I have got the Plat in the US, but we are moving to SA. Does anyone know the benefits for Plat in South Africa. (I called the Plat desk and they told me any card member can use any benefits in any country as long as the purchase is done in that country) but they couldn't tell me the benefits..

I need to know if they have the Int. Airline Program
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I have US Platinum and US Delta Platinum.
Do either of these cards get me a better deal on exchange rates or fees at the Amex Travel offices in say the Munich Airport, or should I be rate shopping from all the exchange places in the terminal?
I am exchanging Canadian Dollars to Euros (our business is on the border of Canada; we accept both for payment) Also as a query to the European members here , are Euros accepted in Switzerland along with Francs, or do I need to obtain them as well?

Thank you for any guidance, I could not find an answer on the Amex site, and email to the Munich Amex exchange was returned.

JudyJFLA (Heading to the Xmas Markets with Mom and 2 pairs of YakTrax)
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
I am exchanging Canadian Dollars to Euros (our business is on the border of Canada; we accept both for payment) Also as a query to the European members here , are Euros accepted in Switzerland along with Francs, or do I need to obtain them as well?
You need CHF for Switzerland. Don't change cash - you'll just end up fuming at the charges you're paying. Take an ATM card instead.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I must be the only one in the world who does not have an ATM Card!! It comes from spending most of the year 90 miles from the bank in Montana and doing everything by credit card or online.

What are we talking on fees for a 500 euro transaction? I made 10% buying Canadian from other merchants, Also as a Plat Amex do I get any better deal on the rates or fees? I remember getting french franks by mail from Amex many years ago, but really don't remember the details and it is not clear on their website. Travel is in 5 days so too late for an ATM card.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Travel is in 5 days so too late for an ATM card.

JudyJFLA

Judy normally a big national bank can give you an ATM card on the spot. Here on the East coast we have a bank called Wachovia - who have given me a temporary ATM card - valid till the end of the issue month on the spot.

Not sure I can say anything about the Plat Amex - but just thought you shoud know about temp. ATM cards.

Also you could take Amex travellers cheques. I believe they are non commission and they could get them to you using second day UPS.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Also as a Plat Amex do I get any better deal on the rates or fees? I remember getting french franks by mail from Amex many years ago, but really don't remember the details and it is not clear on their website.
With Amex in the UK, you can order foreign currency via mail. With Centurion and Platinum it is commission-free and if you have arranged your flights through the Travel Service, then they waive the S&H fee - you can order by fax for next-day delivery and pay by cheque or card (cheque within 7 days, card with the standard cash advance fee).
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by jchand
Having not read the small print I was not awarre of the. So when you hire a car in the US you need not take out insurance ?? This indeed would be a big saving.
I'm 18, and I have a Visa student card with a thousand dollar credit limit that has the same rental car insurance protection- no annual fee. I don't think you need to spend $2000 a year on an Amex Centurion or a Platnium to find that feature. Just look around. It's much more common than you thought.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by alakon
I'm 18, and I have a Visa student card with a thousand dollar credit limit that has the same rental car insurance protection- no annual fee. I don't think you need to spend $2000 a year on an Amex Centurion or a Platnium to find that feature. Just look around. It's much more common than you thought.
In the US rental car insurance cover seems a common benefit, but for UK cardholders its not, so the inclusion in the UK Centurion is worth it. If you have Platinum, you have to pay an extra fee to get the benefit here, its included in the Centurion package.

For UK members travelling to the States, there is also the free cell phone (14 days from memory) hire, I used it a couple of years ago, the phone was pretty beat up, but it worked, and the rental was free (you just pay for the calls which are cheaper than standard roaming rates). These days I just use a sim card from eBay instead, but its a benefit if you dont have one.

Whilst on phones, you also get the phone card, I guess thats a benefit on a lot of cards, but again, it works and if you want to make some calls from hotels without paying their rates or in areas were the cell phones just dont work, it can save a little. Every call is billed separately, so your bill ends up being pages, and pages long!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.