"Can I see your ID, please?"

Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:40 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Signature ≠ Name

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
So, unless the name on your card is "ASK FOR ID" you are SOL.
As per my original post, a signature is not the same as name. While in many cases they will be similar or the same, they do not necessarily have to be.

My signature looks absolutely nothing like my name and I know quite a few other people whose signatures also do not resemble their names. I never had a problem using any of my cards as the merchants only compare the signatures. Comparing a signature to an embossed name is simply ridiculous.

The statement made by AMEX that you have quoted contains a presumption which should not be there.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
The other thing about looking at an ID is that it may not help on the signature issue. At least in Virginia, which is where I live, the DMV digitizes the signature and reduces it to a point where it's tough to compare it with a real signature.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:47 pm

my husband...

In the signature blank he writes in "PLEASE ID".....

why i don't know....

Would aggrevate me to death......
Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
It is also unusual to be asked for ID throughout most of Europe though I did get asked quite often in Madrid (but oddly not once in Barcelona).
Not unusual in France for credit or charge cards that do not have a working microchip incorporated in them (viz. credit/charge cards from just about anywhere outside France)
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Particularly with the self-checkout stands that Wal-Mart and other retailers are using, being asked to key in your zip seems like a reasonable protection measure.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
I had my purse stolen and had my credit card charged with $1500.00 or so in computer equipment. AMEX did not give me any problem with the charges and did no sort of investigation, that I could gather. I guess it is small in the scheme of things. The problem with photo ID's, is that if your purse or wallet were stolen, most likely your photo ID was in there. Many people do not look like their photo ID. In California, we are allowed to recycle driver's license pictures almost indefinitely. My DL picture is about twelve years old. I don't see the photo ID as being a very useful tool. It seems much more effective to compare signatures. By the way, I have, from time to time, declined to show my photo ID. I have never had anyone refuse my purchase because of this. It does not seem to be a condition of sale.

I wonder if introducing PIN numbers for credit card transactions would be the way to go. Then I would not have to share my address, birthdate, and other personal information with the store clerk. I have heard that the credit card companies are not in favor of this, but it seems better than the current system.

Last edited by kingsroadgal; Jun 25, 2004 at 10:38 pm Reason: further thought
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kingsroadgal
The problem with photo ID's, is that if your purse or wallet were stolen, most likely your photo ID was in there. Many people do not look like their photo ID. In California, we are allowed to recycle driver's license pictures almost indefinitely. My DL picture is about twelve years old.
There is another problem: When I'm asked for photo ID in the USA for a credit card purchase (and, yes, some merchants, such as Wizards of the Coast -- now closed down -- did demand it or refuse to put through the sale) is that they are then quite happy when I show my drivers licence. But what does this prove?! Nothing.

They've probably never seen an Australian drivers licence before. Anyone who stole my credit card could put my name and a photo of themselves on a piece of laminated plastic with some numbers and "Drivers Licence" on it, and the checkout person would have no idea it was fake.

You are right, a PIN is the way to go. AFAIK, all bank-issued credit cards in Australia have a PIN. Why we still have to sign on paper for credit transaction, while we use our PIN for debit transactions or ATM transactions on the same piece of plastic is beyond me. If someone steals my card, faking ID is very easy. Faking a signature is a lot harder. Knowing the PIN is close to impossible.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:17 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I guess we will have to wait until after someone has used your card and run up a rather large bill to see if you still feel the same way. We were, and the resulting hassle was not worth it.

My card now has in large black letters "ASK FOR Photo ID" in the signature blank. I also have and keep on file a digital photo of the back of the card showing this request. If a merchant takes this card and does not request to see a photo ID, they are now resposible for the charges. You would surprised how few ask for it even with this on the back. If the card is ever used by some one else again, Amex will get a copy of the photo with a little note explaining all charges are now a dispute between them and the merchant who took it.

I was once upon a time this cocky about it too...........
Last year someone in Kent cloned my Centurion Card onto a Green Card with their own name, so checking for an ID would not have helped.

AMEX caught them and I had no difficulty refuting the charges. Actually, I hadn't even had time to notice the charges when AMEX called me.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Flyaway
There are stores like Kenneth Cole in the Sawgrass Mills mall in Plantation Florida that asks everyone making a credit card purchase to show a photo ID.
Of course... there are a great deal of "people" in that mall who like to steal.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TRRed
Particularly with the self-checkout stands that Wal-Mart and other retailers are using, being asked to key in your zip seems like a reasonable protection measure.
Actually, no, it's a terrible one. Last time I checked into this, the US credit card databases had no access to non-US card address details. Given the lack of decent privacy laws in the US, they will probably continue not to have that access, due to laws in other countries preventing connection of secure (in a legal sense) databases in those countries to insecure ones in the US.

So, checking the zip code means one of two outcomes for users of non-US cards:
1) We can't use our cards at all or
2) We can use our cards without entering a zip, and therefore our cards have no protection against massive fraudulent use if stolen

Even for US users, the zip code of the cardholder is quite likely to be stored with the card, so it not a very useful form of protection. Using the card's PIN is the right answer.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Actually, no, it's a terrible one. Last time I checked into this, the US credit card databases had no access to non-US card address details. Given the lack of decent privacy laws in the US, they will probably continue not to have that access, due to laws in other countries preventing connection of secure (in a legal sense) databases in those countries to insecure ones in the US.

So, checking the zip code means one of two outcomes for users of non-US cards:
1) We can't use our cards at all or
2) We can use our cards without entering a zip, and therefore our cards have no protection against massive fraudulent use if stolen

Even for US users, the zip code of the cardholder is quite likely to be stored with the card, so it not a very useful form of protection. Using the card's PIN is the right answer.
I understand your points, but let me add a third alternative to your 2 above: (3) that you are not able to use the self-checkout stands at these retailers and must go through a check-out with a live cashier who can inspect and verify your signature.

Absolutely that could be more inconvenient for those with non-US cards who are shopping in the US at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and grocers.

However, I do not like typing a PIN which allows access to cash where it may be seen by those standing nearby (one reason I try to avoid Sam's Clubs). Although I am protected if fraudulent purchases occur, I am not sure if I have the same protection if my card and PIN were used to obtain cash.

And your point is well taken that if a wallet or purse with credit cards were stolen, zip code and other personal identification is probably also in the wallet or purse.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 5:56 pm

I find it funny that what annoys the hell out of one person, seems like the next best thing to another. I personally like to be asked for ID. It tells me that the merchant is trying to reduce fraud. What annoys me is when you give your card to someone and they swipe it and never look at the signature. I'm not saying I get wildly excited when asked for ID, but I do think its a good way for merchants to reduce fraud.

As to the PIN thing, sounds great but I think the US is not quite there. It wasn't too long ago that these transactions were processed manually. Zip-codes and those little codes on the cards are the precursors to a secret pin, me thinks.

I also am going through a fraudulent transaction currently with Bank One, and while I think I will get my money back, I have wasted much time with a not-so-responsive bank.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by mountain flyer
I find it funny that what annoys the hell out of one person, seems like the next best thing to another. I personally like to be asked for ID. It tells me that the merchant is trying to reduce fraud.
No, it doesn't. It tells you that the merchant is too stupid to do things the correct way and/or wants to lull you into a false sense of security by doing something utterly pointless. It's very much like the TSA's relentless search for small pointy objects: It makes those who can't be bothered thinking it through happy, while not contributing to solving any problem.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Happy to show my ID

I dunno...

I'm happy when they ask for ID - I'd much rather show it then have some idiot who just stole my card rack up thousands of dollars of charges.

Funny though, is that I usually grab my INSPASS card for ID, because it's easier to get out of my wallet than my license. I love when people say "I need a GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID, sir."

It's a Department of Justice card - It's legal. It's fun to mess with them - No, this card is the real thing... People have just never seen it.

OF course, this is with a Centurion card - of which half the people don't know what THAT is, either.

Sigh. Can't win. But I'd still rather they ask.

-Peter
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by geekfactory
Funny though, is that I usually grab my INSPASS card for ID, because it's easier to get out of my wallet than my license. I love when people say "I need a GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID, sir."
Unfortunately, I' ve seen a similar incident in which a foreign student was asked for ID, and she provided her passport. The grocery clerk was completely at a loss, I think even asking for a real ID.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.