Platinum Card & Lounge Access?

Old Apr 30, 04, 12:42 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Bahamas
Programs: Hertz Gold Member ,Avis Preferred, DL SKYCLUB
Posts: 186
Platinum Card & Lounge Access?

To gain entry to the crown room club and other major airline club, what exactly do one need? can the physical Platinum card and ticket be sufficent to gain access? on the benefit sheet american express want me to fax a application for the PRIORITY PASS.
melvin is offline  
Old Apr 30, 04, 2:35 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,721
Yes, you need to apply for the free Priority Pass. This is a good deal and one of the best perks of Plat Amex. See PriorityPass.com for more details. You will get a separate card that you need to show for entry.

The only exception - for UK members, at least - is the lounge at the Eurostar train terminals in Paris and London, and the BMI and (I think) Continental airlines lounges in the UK. You get into these simply by showing your Plat card.
Raffles is offline  
Old Apr 30, 04, 5:34 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: SPG,HH,DL,CO,AMEX
Posts: 259
Within the US all you need to provide is your Platinum card, same day travel ticket on the respective airline, and government issued ID. The priority pass must be used outside of the United States.
lanemckenna is offline  
Old Apr 30, 04, 6:40 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 4,155
Originally Posted by RJB
Yes, you need to apply for the free Priority Pass. This is a good deal and one of the best perks of Plat Amex. See PriorityPass.com for more details. You will get a separate card that you need to show for entry.
Can you clarify this! US Plat. card members have access to CO, DL and NWA lounges when travelling on these carriers...with a ticket. If we can get Priority Pass, that would mean we would have access to more lounges and possibly not just when travelling on CO, DL and NWA. I usually travel on Star Alliance Carriers so the lounge access doesn't really do me much good. IF we got the Priority Pass thing as part of Plat. Amex privileages it would be a bigger benefit to me. Can you list a link showing this benefit? Thanks!
christianj is offline  
Old Apr 30, 04, 7:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC area
Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
Posts: 247
Originally Posted by lanemckenna
Within the US all you need to provide is your Platinum card, same day travel ticket on the respective airline, and government issued ID. The priority pass must be used outside of the United States.
I haven't had to show an ID except to get through airport security. My Platinum card and boarding pass were sufficient, at least at Continental President's Clubs at DCA, EWR, and HNL.

At EWR on the way out to Hawaii some joker ahead of us was trying to get in using Amex Blue.
1995hoo is offline  
Old Apr 30, 04, 11:00 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,721
christianj - I have a UK issued Plat Amex, which has Priority Pass membership as one of the perks. Each country has different benefits, so you would need to check with Amex in the US as to whether you qualify for one too.

Wherever you live, you can pay for a Priority Pass - see their website (prioritypass.com). It is not exceptionally cheap, unless you can persuade your employer to pay, but if you fly enough in economy then it may pay for itself.
Raffles is offline  
Old May 2, 04, 2:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: EDI
Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
Posts: 352
okay, i know this sounds simplified but in an attempt to inject some clarity....

north america, the card on it's own seems to work wonders. entry to centurion in Mexico City plus all CO lounges. with just a ticket. in UK, BMI similarly allow access but for all others, you need to apply for the priority pass black card. it's still a comp though so no worries...!

it's been a valuable boon to me, for when my c class tix or other entry cards count, i almost always find the pamex lounges quieter.
Seachain is offline  
Old May 2, 04, 5:17 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 96
Seachain,

Are you saying you got into Platinum Amex Lounges (BMI etc) even though you weren't flying with that particular airline?

Thanks.
Flyer26 is offline  
Old May 3, 04, 4:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 559
To get into the BMI lounge you need to be flying BMI that day.
danam is offline  
Old May 3, 04, 4:38 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: SPG,HH,DL,CO,AMEX
Posts: 259
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I haven't had to show an ID except to get through airport security. My Platinum card and boarding pass were sufficient, at least at Continental President's Clubs at DCA, EWR, and HNL.

At EWR on the way out to Hawaii some joker ahead of us was trying to get in using Amex Blue.

The government issued ID is only with Delta. With one exception of a recent act of kindness towards my wife (left her license at home and still allowed her to board aircraft with her Costco membership card), Delta and I have a hate/hate relationship. They will try anything to inconvenince me. "I hate to fly Delta, and it shows"
lanemckenna is offline  
Old May 5, 04, 1:16 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Posts: 20
I have my Priority Pass with my Plat card and can't belive there is only one lounge available at JFK and not in Terminal Four.

Of all the airports where I could really do with a lounge!!

Dean
wolves27 is offline  
Old May 5, 04, 2:12 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,721
Dean - what you will find really annoying is that, up to a couple of years ago, Plat Amex holders got access to Virgin lounges even when flying economy. This was a fantastic perk that was pulled due to overuse, I believe.

The best perk in the UK / France is actually the use of the Eurostar lounges. Even some business class Eurostar tickets do not come with lounge access, so being able to walk in on a £59 economy ticket is fantastic. They are lovely lounges as well, post the Phillip Stark revamp.
Raffles is offline  
Old May 5, 04, 2:38 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Sydney, Aus
Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Posts: 2,874
Originally Posted by RJB
Dean - what you will find really annoying is that, up to a couple of years ago, Plat Amex holders got access to Virgin lounges even when flying economy. This was a fantastic perk that was pulled due to overuse, I believe.

The best perk in the UK / France is actually the use of the Eurostar lounges. Even some business class Eurostar tickets do not come with lounge access, so being able to walk in on a £59 economy ticket is fantastic. They are lovely lounges as well, post the Phillip Stark revamp.
In fact only "Premium First" ticket holders get access. Last I heard this was only offered on routes to Paris. Only other people to get access are Eurostar frequent travellers.
ozzie is offline  
Old May 5, 04, 6:24 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 210
I don't exactly know, where the problem is.
Eyerything is simple, as long as people are able to read and understand terms and conditions or the fineprint:

Continental Airlines Presidents Club®, Delta Crown Room Club®, and Northwest Airlines WorldClubs® locations worldwide can be entered, when traveling with the respective airline that is operating the flight.
The Platinum Card member must have their Card on their person and present it to the club agent along with an airline ticket valid for travel that day on the corresponding airline that is operating the flight


Other lounges that can be entered by showing your Platinum Card and any valid same day boarding pass:

Europe:

Vienna - Grande Danube Lounge.

Africa / Middle East:

Bahrain - Delmon Lounge.
Egypt - Cairo - EAS Lounge.
Jordan - Amman - First Class Lounge.
Lebanon - Beirut - Cedars Lounge.
Oman - Masqat - Business/Executive Lounge.
Saudi Arabia - Jiddah - Oasis Lounge.
Syria - Damascus - Executive Lounge.
United Arab Emirates - Abu Dhabi - First Class Lounge.
United Arab Emirates - Dubai - Marhaba Lounge

Carribeans / Latin America:

Barbados - Bridgetown - Club Caribbean.
Mexico - Mexico City - Club Centurion.
Puerto Rico - San Juan - VIP Escort Lounge.

South America:

Argentina - Buenos Aires - Centurion Lounge.
Brazil - São Paulo - Centurion Lounge.
Ecuador - Guayaquil - Centurion Lounge.
Ecuador - Quito - Centurion Lounge.
axel1 is offline  
Old May 6, 04, 9:00 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC area
Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
Posts: 247
Originally Posted by lanemckenna
The government issued ID is only with Delta. With one exception of a recent act of kindness towards my wife (left her license at home and still allowed her to board aircraft with her Costco membership card), Delta and I have a hate/hate relationship. They will try anything to inconvenince me. "I hate to fly Delta, and it shows"
I'll take your word for it....I haven't flown Delta since January 1, 1999. Nothing against them, they just haven't gone where I've wanted to go.
1995hoo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: