Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2024)

Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To read previous discussions, click HERE.

You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase: http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or-
"Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multiplier
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage

AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)

50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Originally Posted by thelark
As an EP this is worthless. The only thing I could really use it for is award fees and they donít pay for that.
Not my experience - as a CP.

Originally Posted by jl0810
Do they reimburse for the monthly WIFI subscription now? I have a few heavy flying months, and could see burning the credit for 3-4 moths.
This is typically what I use it on. I look at my flying schedule and then burn some credit on a monthly pass. It works quite nicely.

My partner and I have two cards (Amex Plat and Amex HHonors card). I actually had about $50 in available credit this year left over around 12/1. Luckily I had a semi-last minute trip (7 days in advance) to go on and opted to burn the last $50 on a paid upgrade. Looked at the seat maps for the two flights, looked at the number of seats taken in first and he number of MCE seats booked, and opted to dump the $50 on the upgrade that looked to be more problematic when using the standard upgrade windows.

Think I played it right.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Spent a little over $200 on 12/24/23 for Mileage Multiplier and received a $200 credit today.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:46 am

Switched airline to AA on 1/1. 6 hours later purchased MCE seats for $150. Credited today.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 4:11 pm

My miles expired and I can pay to recover them. Would that trigger the credit?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by freegunnersaurus
My miles expired and I can pay to recover them. Would that trigger the credit?
I'm curious about this too. Did you give it a try and if so did it work? Please let us know. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 26, 2024, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elkhornne
Spent a little over $200 on 12/24/23 for Mileage Multiplier and received a $200 credit today.
I'm forced to this every year, otherwise the credit would go unused.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by elkhornne
When buying a ticket? Does the Mileage Multiplier show as a separate line charge on your credit card?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Charged $158 at LGA Admirals Club on 1/22 for two day passes and still waiting on reimbursement on 2/3. It is most annoying since it is a corporate card in which the statement has ended. I did a chat on Thursday and I got a bad rep who kept trying to make this about lounge access rather than incidental. The advice given was to check back on 2/10. In times past, the chat can tell me if it was approved, and then it usually takes a few days after that to show up as a credit.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:16 am

i was supposed to travel to GYE on Jan 17th, but rebooked to may, due to instability in the country right now. i used the amex airline fee credit, using $140 to upgrade some of the seats, we chose some main cabin extra seats. since we rebooked, do i have any recourse to get that money back? can i contact amex and explain the situation? or am I out of luck.

thank you
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:36 pm

AA mileage multiplier purchase
1/28 transaction posted
2/6 credit posted
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:37 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by michael1023
i..... rebooked to may, due to instability in the country right now. i used the amex airline fee credit, using $140 to upgrade some of the seats, we chose some main cabin extra seats. since we rebooked, do i have any recourse to get that money back? ....
I do not know AA's policy in this circumstance, but I think you need to ask the airline, not the credit card issuer, to refund the original fee.
michael1023 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by mia
I do not know AA's policy in this circumstance, but I think you need to ask the airline, not the credit card issuer, to refund the original fee.
AA will refund your original MCE purchase if you select and pay for MCE seats again on your new flight. I do not have the link at my fingertips but a search for "AA MCE refund" will bring it up.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:41 am

I'm thinking about purchasing multiple one-day passes of the Admirals Club online, will this method get reimbursed? Idk if purchasing at the lounge entrance would be safer bet.

Also if I wanna purchase one-days passes for someone else, will this method get reimbursed as well?

TIY
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:14 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by sqz5178
I'm thinking about purchasing multiple one-day passes of the Admirals Club online, will this method get reimbursed? Idk if purchasing at the lounge entrance would be safer bet.

Also if I wanna purchase one-days passes for someone else, will this method get reimbursed as well?

TIY
OT for this thread, but buying them online in advance these days is a bit iffy because whenever the clubs are at high capacity, they will temporarily suspend accepting day passes.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Will miles upgrades work meaning I want to do the 25k and $350 upgrade on an upcoming flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.