Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2024)

Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To read previous reports, click HERE.

You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase: http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or-
"Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Gift certificates purchases are not reimbursed since 2017.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem.

Print Wikipost

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2024)

Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by hur88
Wanted to report that my two Premium Class seat charges at the end of January were automatically credited by Amex yesterday.
I did not have to reach out for a manual request. Didn't expect the automatic credit at all.
That is great. For data points, could you provide a little more detail such as
1) what was the date PC seats were purchased
and
2) what was the cost of each PC seats?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by robchow
That is great. For data points, could you provide a little more detail such as
1) what was the date PC seats were purchased
and
2) what was the cost of each PC seats?
1) January 31st
2) A little over $100
robchow likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
DP
Purchased a flight using wallet credit that had a balance of $35.80 which I paid with my Plat on 1/29. Received an automatic credit on 2/8.
Seems like small amounts for flights CAN get auto credited.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
DP:
2/3 AS In flight $10.50, auto credited on 2/12
2/3 AS In flight $10.50, auto credited (This was actually a mistake from Alaska, I contacted them and they refunded me), however still auto creditd by Amex on 2/12
2/7 AS taxes and fees $25, manually requested 2/21
2/7 AS taxes and fees $172.20, manually requested 2/21

Got pushback telling me to wait 4-6 weeks but I asked again and they were able to manually credit my balance that's left which was $130 something. Said it'd take up to 5 business days to show up
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had any issues lately? I purchased 2 PC seats back in December 2023 ($97 and $105 each), contacted Amex today (12 weeks after charge) via web chat to inquire about airline credit and was told by the agent that it is not eligible given it is a "seat upgrade". Anyone had that issue?

The agent also disconnected our conversation mid-way. Super professional.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:12 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by Seattle206
....not eligible given it is a "seat upgrade".
It's accurate that Upgrades are not eligible for reimbursement. When you contact American Express again, tell the agent that these were Seat Selection fees.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Seattle206
Has anyone had any issues lately? I purchased 2 PC seats back in December 2023 ($97 and $105 each), contacted Amex today (12 weeks after charge) via web chat to inquire about airline credit and was told by the agent that it is not eligible given it is a "seat upgrade". Anyone had that issue?

The agent also disconnected our conversation mid-way. Super professional.
Did you call it a "seat upgrade" or anything using the "U-word"? As for the disconnect, maybe it was a technical glitch or accidental disconnect. I really doubt that an Amex agent would do that, especially if you were not abusive (and I'm assuming you weren't). For those getting credited automatically, I wish I knew what the "secret sauce" was, or if there even *is* any.

Still waiting for reimbursements for "seat selection fees" on February 12 and 24, but got the standard boilerplate "can take 6-8 weeks" stuff when I inquired. I decided not to push back, but in my experience if you didn't get the credit within about 7-10 days, it's not coming unless you call/chat for it.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, AC, BA, UA
For AS PC, seat "assignment" fees are the right language to use if you want them reimbursed according to the rep I chatted with. From the transcript:
> I can completely understand your query here and would like to confirm if it is seat assignment fee or seat selection charges because seat assignment charges are eligible charges.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The agent disconnected on purpose. She even shared parting words before leaving. Never experienced that before. I took a screenshot out of disbelief but later deleted it. I was not abusive whatsoever, I did make the mistake of saying the seats were an "upgrade" but later tried to explain myself. She did not want to have any part of it unfortunately.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Anyone know if the new $5/month subscription service qualifies for the credit? Any data points?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: MVP Gold 100K
DP:

1. New booking with combination of flight credit ($25) + amex ($150) = No Reimbursement
2. New booking with combination of flight credit + amex ($56) = Yes Reimbursement.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:20 pm

Manually got 3 x $24 seat assignment credits after six weeks. The rep mentioned something about AS coding the charge as new ticket. Not sure if that was accurate, but i'm satisfied the charges were credited to the account.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
Anyone know if the new $5/month subscription service qualifies for the credit? Any data points?
Doubtful. AS actually uses a third-party, Recurly, to manage that subscription service; I'd expect it to bill as Recurly accordingly.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:09 am

So my guess is that AS airline fee reimbursement is largely based on dollar amount.

Just made a $88.10 with AmexTravel on a brand new one-way booking SEA-PDX. To my surprise it was reimbursed by the fee.

Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
So my guess is that AS airline fee reimbursement is largely based on dollar amount.

Just made a $88.10 with AmexTravel on a brand new one-way booking SEA-PDX. To my surprise it was reimbursed by the fee.

Thank you for the DP.
Can you confirm that the category of this $88.1 charge is coded as "Travel - Airline"? Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.