Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: UA (2024)

Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Please follow the following format for posting successful reimbursement to be done ONLY after credit has successfully posted to your account. There is no need to post prior to that. If you feel that you have waited long enough for your credit to post (i.e. 3+ weeks) feel free to post your failure as well.
  • Type of Card (Personal Plat, Biz Plat)
  • Type of Purchase (e.g. TravelBank, baggage fees, etc.)
  • Date of Purchase
  • Amount of Purchase
  • Credit Date and Amount

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 days and sometimes a little longer+
to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 and 2024 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Please note that United TB funds are not offered for purchase in the amount of $200 so therefore you will see that for the purpose of Platinum card reimbursement must will do 2 purchases of $100 each rather than buying $250.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2023 discussion of UA available at this link.)

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Happy 2024, folks!

Please continue the trend and share your data point for United Airlines TravelBank reimbursement when purchased using your Amex Platinum card.

I have the following cards and have made the purchase today. I will update this post when the reimbursements come through.

1st Amex Plat - $200
2nd Amex Plat - $200
3rd Amex Plat - $200
4th Amex Plat - $200
Amex Hilton Aspire - $250
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:47 pm

Have two personal Amex Platinum in my household.
January 1, 2024:
1st Amex Plat - 2x $100
2nd Amex Plat -2x $100

Will update once credits post.
redcorns and Shadowsych like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: free agent
Got Jan 15 annual fee due date on my CS plat so purchased 2x $100 TB. Hopefully it'll be credited by mid-Jan. If not then be it, and eat the cost but it is easy to use TB on UA or partners via UA-marketed flights.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AMEXMLA
… I will update this post when the reimbursements come through.

….

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:18 pm

2024 Plat TravelBank Data Point

Update: reimbursement posted on 01/12

1 AMEX Personal - 2x $100

- will update when/if reimbursement posts.

Last edited by NewYork12126; Jan 12, 2024 at 8:18 am
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Suggested new posting practice for 2024

Originally Posted by AMEXMLA
Happy 2024, folks!

Please continue the trend and share your data point for United Airlines TravelBank reimbursement when purchased using your Amex Platinum card.

I have the following cards and have made the purchase today. I will update this post when the reimbursements come through.

1st Amex Plat - $200
2nd Amex Plat - $200
3rd Amex Plat - $200
4th Amex Plat - $200
January 1, 2024:
1st Amex Plat - 2x $100
2nd Amex Plat -2x $100

Will update once credits post.
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Got Jan 15 annual fee due date on my CS plat so purchased 2x $100 TB. Hopefully it'll be credited by mid-Jan. If not then be it, and eat the cost but it is easy to use TB on UA or partners via UA-marketed flights.
Happy new year to all! Per the recent discussion in this thread, I'd like to propose that going forward, people wait to post about their Travel Bank purchases until either (1) the credit has posted and you can provide complete information or (2) 3 weeks* 14 days have passed and the credit has not posted. I believe this rule would benefit the forum as a whole by keeping the thread current, uncluttered, and focused on usable data. While it can be useful to update an earlier post for purposes of correction, the fact of the matter is that most people will not be scrolling back up a long thread to search for updates to old posts.

I am of course only one member of the forum but that is my suggestion.

*updated to reflect new wiki guidance

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Jan 1, 2024 at 4:13 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Thank you ZenFlyer ! I am in agreement with you.

I was just in the process of creating a Wiki for this new 2024 thread and just completed it copying most information from 2023. I have included a link to that discussion as well as the recommended format for posting successes (or failures, but let's hope not too many) that was discussed. I actually recommended waiting 3 weeks to post a failure because Amex has been taking their time in processing these credits lately and also I find that in the beginning of every year they can take even longer, but we can change the Wiki to say waiting 14 days is enough to post a failure if that's the consensus.

There are enough of us who have already purchased TB today (myself included) to test if it works for this year and there is no need for everyone to announce that they did so (even though I know I just did ). What is important now, is to wait the necessary amount of time to see the credits post to your account and only then come back here and report on it using the recommended format.

Happy and successful 2024 to all!

Last edited by friedablass; Jan 2, 2024 at 6:59 am Reason: Removed previous ETA as it no longer applies
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Thank you ZenFlyer ! I am in agreement with you.

I was just in the process of creating a Wiki for this new 2024 thread and just completed it copying most information from 2023. I have included a link to that discussion as well as the recommended format for posting successes (or failures, but let's hope not too many) that was discussed. I actually recommended waiting 3 weeks to post a failure because Amex has been taking their time in processing these credits lately and also I find that in the beginning of every year they can take even longer, but we can change the Wiki to say waiting 14 days is enough to post a failure if that's the consensus.
Thanks for updating the wiki! Three weeks sounds good to me, and a more certain indicator of a potential credit problem. (I picked 14 days because it seems most credits have been taking 10-12 days to post lately, but as you point out that can vary.)
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow! You guys didn’t take any time to start posting. Best of luck for Amex Credits and a happy and healthy 2024 to all!!
chrumbles, redcorns and Lorza like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
… unless I am missing something, you will only see $50 come through for that charge. The new Aspire benefit is $50 per quarter.

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

oh crap, i didn't notice the new change 🫠 Thanks for the info, will have to remember this for the quarterly ussage of this.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Just did UA TB for an Aspire ($50 x 1) and several Biz Plats ($100 x 2 each). For most purchases I correctly typed the 4 digit CVV on the back of the card which worked fine. For one purchase I inadvertently typed the 3 digit CVV on the back of a biz plat, worked fine. I typed the 3 digit CVV again, worked fine again. For one purchase I left the CVV field blank, worked fine.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I was just in the process of creating a Wiki for this new 2024 thread and just completed it copying most information from 2023. I have included a link to that discussion as well as the recommended format for posting successes (or failures, but let's hope not too many) that was discussed . . .

There are enough of us who have already purchased TB today (myself included) to test if it works for this year and there is no need for everyone to announce that they did so (even though I know I just did ). What is important now, is to wait the necessary amount of time to see the credits post to your account and only then come back here and report on it using the recommended format.
Bumping the above post front and center again as a proposed new year's resolution for the forum ... happy new year to all!
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:22 am

Bough 2x100 TB using my platinum card on the 12/19 right after receiving the confirmation of airline change, no credit posted yet.

Bought 2x100 and 1x50 TB with my Aspire card 24 hours after airline change on 12/23, all credits showed up this morning with posted date of 1/1/2024.

Maybe time between loading TB and airline change affect speed of posting?
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by liumidsun
Bough 2x100 TB using my platinum card on the 12/19 right after receiving the confirmation of airline change, no credit posted yet.

Bought 2x100 and 1x50 TB with my Aspire card 24 hours after airline change on 12/23, all credits showed up this morning with posted date of 1/1/2024.

Maybe time between loading TB and airline change affect speed of posting?
Its certainly possible and in the Wiki it is recommended to wait 24 hours after changing airlines although there are many that don't wait and receive the credit anyway. I would give it another couple of days and see what happens.

Last edited by mia; Jan 2, 2024 at 10:41 am Reason: Please use the Alert function, in lower left corner, to submit questions or suggestions to Moderators.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:43 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Moderator explanantion

There is no reason that we "must" have a separate version of this thread each year. It's fine to discuss residual 2023 events in the 2024 thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.