Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Gold Card bonus changes Oct 2023 - $6k spend and Platinum exclusions

USA personal Gold Card bonus changes Oct 2023 - $6k spend and Platinum exclusions

Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Looks like American Express has increased the bonus spend for the Gold card to $6k and started to exclude the bonus if you've had any of the flavors of the personal Platinum card:

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Premier Rewards Gold Card, the Platinum Card, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards. You also may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer based on various factors, such as your history with credit card balance transfers, your history as an American Express Card Member, the number of credit cards that you have opened and closed and other factors. If you are not eligible for a welcome offer, we will notify you prior to processing your application so you have the option to withdraw your application.
Link to terms: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...0/#offer-terms
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Gravy train is over.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
If this is the case, as soon as my year with the Platinum is over, I suspect Im done with them. I never plan to be a churner but Im not going to add a card with a fee to my wallet with no bonus and no possibility of one.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:41 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Wow, just wow
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:49 am

Interesting - I wonder if the 7 year limit has changed also on the backend with these other changes (shorter?)
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:59 am

Yep loading the personal Gold page in Incognito mode confirms... $6k spend now.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:22 pm

I wonder if a revamp of the personal Gold is in the works now.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeRange
I wonder if a revamp of the personal Gold is in the works now.
Hard pass for a lot of folks if it's anything like the "revamped" Biz Gold which took away the huge shipping category for more coupon book stuff. It's amazing how Amex and so many "influencers" are selling these changes as a good thing on net.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ziggy29
Hard pass for a lot of folks if it's anything like the "revamped" Biz Gold which took away the huge shipping category for more coupon book stuff. It's amazing how Amex and so many "influencers" are selling these changes as a good thing on net.
I agree the Gold is good as is. I wouldn't mind paying a higher annual fee if they increased the dining credit and loosened its restrictions. As this is Amex though, we're more likely to see a $100 annual credit to restaurants booked via Resy over a blanket dining credit.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Good. Stopping this churning nonsense will help 'regular users' in the end ... zero sum game!

Revamp - depends what it is. Not sure I see an indication of that tbh
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by cfischer
Good. Stopping this churning nonsense will help 'regular users' in the end ... zero sum game!
Churning? This blocks people like me (long time Plat cardholder) from getting a bonus when trying to build an Amex MR trifecta and bring more ongoing spend to the Amex ecosystem (due to the better category bonuses of the Gold compared to the Plat). I have never had the Gold, so if I were to get it, it would hardly be churning. Well, now without a SUB I will likely not even consider it in the future.

And I hope you sent Amex a sternly worded complaint about the NLL Amex Business Plats they have been churning out in recent months.
IndyHoosier, cuthroat and ziggy29 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
It ain’t just churners. I have a Schwab Platinum and a BBP, and planned to stay long term with Amex getting most of my spend. But I won’t pay a fee for a card with no welcome bonus. And at this point, even if decide to keep the Platinum card when the next fee comes due in January (it’s a close call), there is no way I am putting any spend on it now that doesn’t trigger 5X or specific benefits or credits. Most of my spend will be on other cards now.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
It's no different from employers paying new hires better than long term employees, or airlines running "status match" promos like Alaska who is giving higher status to low-level Delta fliers than to the long term Alaska loyalists. Amex RATs have decided that anyone with a plat is already "locked into the MR ecosphere" and isn't worth investing in. Since the Plat card is mostly a sock-drawer product anyway, I think it's shortsighted of them since they're missing out on the processing fees. Plus, like @notquiteaff, I don't see myself ever signing up for a new product that doesn't offer a SUB, especially if there's an annual fee attached.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:24 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
....if I were to get it, it would hardly be churning.
It would be if you were cancelling a Platinum card after opening Gold, which seems to be the pattern that American Express is seeking to change. In any event, there will be targeted exceptions..
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mia
It would be if you were cancelling a Platinum card after opening Gold, which seems to be the pattern that American Express is seeking to change. In any event, there will be targeted exceptions..
That may be a pattern, but not my pattern

(my most recent new card account is 15 months old. I opened two new cards in the last two years. My most recent Amex account was opened in 2019. By Flyertalk standards I am a terrible churner and probably should be banned from these forums )

As I said, it would keep me …

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
from getting a bonus when trying to build an Amex MR trifecta
… which I think is generally understood to include the Plat and the Gold. Not that I was actively thinking about it, but now it’s a non-starter (unless, as you, a sweet targeted offer finds my mailbox and Chase does something bad to the UR program).
ziggy29 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.