Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Platinum: standard, Schwab & Morgan Stanley unified bonus disqualification.

USA Platinum: standard, Schwab & Morgan Stanley unified bonus disqualification.

Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:35 am
  #1  
dw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,312
USA Platinum: standard, Schwab & Morgan Stanley unified bonus disqualification.

This may not be the right thread for this, but note there is also new language regarding the welcome offer on the vanilla version of the Amex Plat. (This being said, Amex has been particularly aggressive with the popups lately, so it's possible this has de facto been in effect for some cardmembers already.)

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards.
SpaethCo likes this.
dw is online now  
Old Aug 17, 2023, 8:39 am
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SAN, BOS
Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Posts: 2,252
Originally Posted by dw
This may not be the right thread for this, but note there is also new language regarding the welcome offer on the vanilla version of the Amex Plat. (This being said, Amex has been particularly aggressive with the popups lately, so it's possible this has de facto been in effect for some cardmembers already.)

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards.
This appears to be new, as it was possible to churn between the three
TravelingZoomer is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2023, 11:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,441
Originally Posted by dw
This may not be the right thread for this, but note there is also new language regarding the welcome offer on the vanilla version of the Amex Plat. (This being said, Amex has been particularly aggressive with the popups lately, so it's possible this has de facto been in effect for some cardmembers already.)

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards.
Boo. Was thinking of switching to Schwab (with new welcome bonus) around renewal time. Oh well.

Last edited by mia; Aug 17, 2023 at 3:03 pm Reason: Post split between two threads.
lowfareair is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
FYI, for those who don't know what these "companion" (former Gold) cards offer, this has a screenshot of the chart. Looks like you do get the PreCheck/Global Entry reimbursement, so might be worth downgrading for any AUs you don't want to pay for anymore. Of course, you lose the other benefits, but you do get something for free with these companion cards.

Ouch: Amex is Making Some Ugly Changes to the Platinum Card (thriftytraveler.com)
Speaking of which anyone see the language regarding the Vanilla, MS SC, versions of the SUB?
ctle is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,215
Yikes....guess the MS Platinum card will never be had
lax01 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:30 pm
  #6  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 48,684
Originally Posted by lax01
Yikes....guess the MS Platinum card will never be had
Maybe. The use of the word "may" in the terms means we will need to wait for reports. My guess is that American Express will not disqualify a bonus for an established Schwab or Morgan Stanley customer who wants to open their version, but this depends on the terms of their contract. It's also curious that the Goldman Sachs version is not mentioned.

Platinum has had similar offer terms in the past. I will look for a discussion, but my recollection is that the language was not as specific, and it did not last long.

Here is an example from 2012 (which predates the once-in-a-lifetime language) in which they tried to disqualify a charge card bonus if the applicant had held any charge card in the last 12 months.

New language on Amex T&Cs [clarifies which cards disqualify from new account bonus]

...but this is not the episode that I am looking for.

Last edited by mia; Aug 17, 2023 at 3:39 pm
mia is online now  
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MSP
Posts: 483
There is already a report on reddit about the pop-up on Schwab now being more specific:

https://old.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._2023/jwl35qp/
But when applying for the Charles Schwab I got the following pop-up message:

WOWZERA, because you have or have had The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab, the Platinum Card, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer. We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed? Note: Your application will be considered withdrawn if no action is taken on this page.
dw, mia, ziggy29 and 1 others like this.
SpaethCo is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:20 am
  #8  
DTS
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Posts: 1,024
Any additional data points?
DTS is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:05 pm
  #9  
dw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,312
Originally Posted by DTS
Any additional data points?
There have been data points since yesterday going both ways when applying for the CS Plat (by people who already had the vanilla Plat). Looks like while
the new restriction isnt officially in the T&Cs for the CS and MS versions, presumably Amexs popup algorithm is in full force.
dw is online now  
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:37 pm
  #10  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 48,684
Originally Posted by mia
Platinum has had similar offer terms in the past. I will look for a discussion...
In 2013 there was a Mercedes-Benz Platinum card, and the terms included language which disqualified a bonus if one currently held a standard personal Platinum card:

6. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months.You can earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months of Card membership.To be eligible to earn points, you must charge your purchase on an eligible Platinum Card from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible.
This restriction was not enforced. Bear in mind that this was before the once-in-a-lifetime policy existed, and before the application popup technology was implemented. American Express could enforce this type of restriction today, but it will weaken their relationship with Schwab and Morgan Stanley if there is not a path for their customers to earn a bonus. (To be clear, I mean customers using their investment services, not those opening an account to earn a credit card bonus.)
mia is online now  
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MSP
Posts: 483
The terms page has been updated for the Schwab Platinum card to reflect the new language now:

Source: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...AP?print=false

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Platinum Card, the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley or previous versions of these Cards. You also may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer based on various factors, such as your history with credit card balance transfers, your history as an American Express Card Member, the number of credit cards that you have opened and closed and other factors. If you are not eligible for a welcome offer, we will notify you prior to processing your application so you have the option to withdraw your application.
dw and mia like this.
SpaethCo is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 7
Pop Up showing for Schwab Plat because I have Vanilla one

Originally Posted by mia
Maybe. The use of the word "may" in the terms means we will need to wait for reports. My guess is that American Express will not disqualify a bonus for an established Schwab or Morgan Stanley customer who wants to open their version, but this depends on the terms of their contract. It's also curious that the Goldman Sachs version is not mentioned.

Platinum has had similar offer terms in the past. I will look for a discussion, but my recollection is that the language was not as specific, and it did not last long.

Here is an example from 2012 (which predates the once-in-a-lifetime language) in which they tried to disqualify a charge card bonus if the applicant had held any charge card in the last 12 months.

New language on Amex T&Cs [clarifies which cards disqualify from new account bonus]

...but this is not the episode that I am looking for.
Here is my data point. Applied 8/19 for Schwab Plat (I already have Vanilla one) and got pop up saying I am not eligible for welcome bonus so cancelled application. I have quite a few Amex cards and put significant spend on them so this new restriction is real for now, at least for me.
mia and dw like this.
ChargeCard is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:22 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North Oregon Coast
Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by ChargeCard
Here is my data point. Applied 8/19 for Schwab Plat (I already have Vanilla one) and got pop up saying I am not eligible for welcome bonus so cancelled application. I have quite a few Amex cards and put significant spend on them so this new restriction is real for now, at least for me.
Interestingly, it looks like the spend requirement for the Schwab and MS cards is still $6,000 for the SUB, even as the other terms that changed on the vanilla card have changed on those, too.
ziggy29 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:38 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 6
seems like Amex is getting stricter... have tried to apply for a card i have never had before, and got a message that I am not eligible to receive a new signup bonus given my history etc etc. I received multiple bonuses for the same card type until 2 months ago no issue, and my wife has experienced the same thing. i think they are tightening up - likely due to increased defaults?
SV8AA is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 3:06 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,182
Originally Posted by SV8AA
seems like Amex is getting stricter... have tried to apply for a card i have never had before, and got a message that I am not eligible to receive a new signup bonus given my history etc etc. I received multiple bonuses for the same card type until 2 months ago no issue, and my wife has experienced the same thing. i think they are tightening up - likely due to increased defaults?
Or because they dont feel like handing out SUBs like candy?

(apparently their business card marketing team hasnt come to that conclusion yet, given the recent flurry of Business Plat offers without lifetime restriction)
notquiteaff is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.