AU Fee for US Issued Personal Plat Now $195 per AU

Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:10 am

I have had AUs without SSNs for years. You simply need to provide a copy of their foreign passport or driving licence.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have 3 AUs, first one opened in July a few years ago, then the other two in the months following. I was charged the $175 prior to the notice, then charged $195 on the anniversaries of the others.

The terms when I paid the fee in July was:

We will charge $175 for up to 3 additional Platinum Cards, $175 for each additional Platinum Card after the first 3, and $0 for additional Gold Cards.
So I paid for 3 cards in July, therefore I should not need to pay another renewal fee for another 12 months. I raised a case with Amex in December, and they closed the case saying it was "correctly charged". After some more back and forth with the rep, they had "amazing news"... they agreed to escalate the issue. We will see what they have to say in 2-4 weeks, which I am doubting will be different.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. If I upgrade a current Gold AU to Plat AU, the $195 fee will post on that date (or approx/soon after) and will also renew on that date annually, and the upgrade will not appear as a new card on AU credit report.

Is that right?
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Yes that is my experience.
- The 195 will be charged on the day of upgrade and annually.
- the card number for the au doesn't change just the physical card so it remains the same card on credit reports and also same length of history for the au. This works for upgrades and downgrades.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. If I upgrade a current Gold AU to Plat AU, the $195 fee will post on that date (or approx/soon after) and will also renew on that date annually, and the upgrade will not appear as a new card on AU credit report.

Is that right?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Yes that is my experience.
- The 195 will be charged on the day of upgrade and annually.
- the card number for the au doesn't change just the physical card so it remains the same card on credit reports and also same length of history for the au. This works for upgrades and downgrades.
Excellent. That's what I hoped. Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Does anyone know what happens if I downgrade my AU cards (to Gold) more than 30 days after their AF posts? Would the AF be prorated like if you downgrade one Amex product to another? My parents both have Platinum cards and have a trip planned about 2 months after one of their AFs posts. So if the AF gets prorated, I might as well wait until after the trip before downgrading their cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.