Airfare not correctly posting as 5x

Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:44 pm
S80
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Airfare not correctly posting as 5x

Hello all, I've done some digging, but haven't been able to find anything related - I booked (and took) a flight (not a tour) with Harbour Air (https://harbourair.com/), however it posted as 1x on my Platinum card, instead of the expected 5x. Is this as simple as a call/chat with Amex asking for the points, or does it require Harbour Air posting the charge correctly?

Please let me know if I can provide any more information, thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:01 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Which Platinum card do you have: personal or Business or one of the co-branded versions?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:03 pm
S80
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Which Platinum card do you have: personal or Business or one of the co-branded versions?
Just the regular personal Platinum, not co-branded.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:09 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I suspect the company's merchant account is not setup as an airline. Login to americanexpress.com using a browser (not an app), find the transaction, click to expand it, then click "Show Additional Information" and see what it says.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:22 pm
S80
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I suspect the company's merchant account is not setup as an airline. Login to americanexpress.com using a browser (not an app), find the transaction, click to expand it, then click "Show Additional Information" and see what it says.
The additional information page only gives a 9 and then a 10 digit number, it does not show up as "Passenger Ticket" like the 5x charge from AA, AS, or UA does.

When using the AwardWallet lookup tool, the exact merchant (HARBOUR AIR RESERVATRICHMOND CA) shows as Travel, and a different merchant code for Airfare shows as not posting correctly with Amex specifically.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You can ask Amex to fix it via chat, just be ready for a lot of pushback. How much was the ticket? Worth the hassle?
notquiteaff and S80 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:53 am
S80
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
You can ask Amex to fix it via chat, just be ready for a lot of pushback. How much was the ticket? Worth the hassle?
Only about US$250, so if I'm going to have to fight for it, definitely not worth it for that. Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
I've had the adjustment done over a brief CS chat with other miscoded flight tickets, so it's worth a shot!
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by S80
Only about US$250, so if I'm going to have to fight for it, definitely not worth it for that. Thank you!
IMO 1,000 points isn't worth a huge fight, but I'd at least make a small effort to try to state my case. To some degree, principle is involved, and if it happened to me, it's doubtless happening to many others, too.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by S80
Originally Posted by ziggy29
IMO 1,000 points isn't worth a huge fight, but I'd at least make a small effort to try to state my case. To some degree, principle is involved, and if it happened to me, it's doubtless happening to many others, too.
For 1000 points, if you call and get the credit, it's almost certain that it will be accommodated by issuing a "goodwill" credit for 1000 points, rather than fixing whatever the underlying problem is. That is, calling and getting the credit is unlikely to help out others.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Steve M
For 1000 points, if you call and get the credit, it's almost certain that it will be accommodated by issuing a "goodwill" credit for 1000 points, rather than fixing whatever the underlying problem is. That is, calling and getting the credit is unlikely to help out others.
It can help if you provide a data point to let others know it can be done.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ziggy29
It can help if you provide a data point to let others know it can be done.
It can be done and I have done it when much greater number of points were in play. Just a question whether $10 is worth the hassle.

I had an intra-Myanmar flight not code correctly before. $120. Certainly wasn't going to chase 480 points

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.