Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonvoy Gold Status w/ Amex Plat -- Glitch Demoted Me to Silver

Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass

Hello -- any fellow card holders experience this?

I just passed five nights for the year with Marriott and was downgraded from gold (which I have via my card) to lowly silver. It's as if it's counting my status 'organically' now, rather than granting me automatic gold. Seems like an idiotic technical glitch; I've contacted Marriott about it.

Wondering if this is a known issue and there are any strategies to deal with it besides sending a note to Marriott.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Hello -- any fellow card holders experience this?

I just passed five nights for the year with Marriott and was downgraded from gold (which I have via my card) to lowly silver. It's as if it's counting my status 'organically' now, rather than granting me automatic gold. Seems like an idiotic technical glitch; I've contacted Marriott about it.

Wondering if this is a known issue and there are any strategies to deal with it besides sending a note to Marriott.
I have the same problem; just noticed it yesterday. My Amex Plat account still shows that I am using the benefit. I also have in the past used the UA-Gold->Marriott Gold link, and just resubmitted a link request earlier today.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: free agent
Same thing happened to me. I'm now Silver, although Amex Plat benefits page still says "Enrolled" in Bonvoy Gold.

I contacted Marriott, but I'm sure there will be the "you need to contact AmEx" runaround.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:46 am

Same thing here...I had a Biz Platinum which I hadn't connected with Marriott so going to try that first....annoying

You don't need a Platinum card added to your Bonvoy account, correct?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:53 pm

I have the same issue. Called Amex today and they said they would resubmit to Marriott. Was told it should take 24-48 hours to go through.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Did not seem to affect me. In any event, Marriott Gold status and $6 will get you a Happy Meal.
milesforhire and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Just checked my account and still Gold, however in the nights activity I have this message (which suggest that some batch processing Marriott is doing has caused the problem reported in this thread)

PS: the gold status has served me well on my recent trip to the US: free breakfast and very late checkout in one property, great room upgrade and late checkout in another. I often read that there is no much to those middle level statuses in the US whilst the same are more recognised in Europe and Africa for example, but I could not complaint at all
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
After delinking my UA account (seemed easier than the Amex route since I could just do it online myself), a day later I am back to Gold now.

Originally Posted by ziggy29
In any event, Marriott Gold status and $6 will get you a Happy Meal.
It’s clearly not the pre-merger Marriott Gold anymore, but I have received two club upgrades in Europe due to my Gold status. So I will gladly take it since I wouldn’t reach it through stays.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:53 am

Still Silver - Enrollment pending...will reach out via chat if I don't see anything happen this week
Old Mar 7, 2023, 2:45 pm

I have the same issue. Marriott just passed the buck but AMEX chat confirmed this is a known issue and that my Gold status still shows on its end. They are working to resolve ASAP.
lax01 and AlphaTango like this.

Last edited by MASTERNC; Mar 7, 2023 at 3:02 pm
Old Mar 7, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Same thing happened to me. I'm now Silver, although Amex Plat benefits page still says "Enrolled" in Bonvoy Gold.

I contacted Marriott, but I'm sure there will be the "you need to contact AmEx" runaround.
As predicted, Bonvoy "Customer Service" thanked me for being Silver Elite ( ) and suggested I call the number on the back of my card.
Opened a chatbox with AmEx - they seemed to be aware of the issue and asked for my Marriott # to "relink". We'll see what happens ...
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Still Gold thank God!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I reached out to Amex today as I just noticed this. They said they are working on it. I have an upcoming stay this weekend so I really hope they get it sorted out. Itll be a royal pain trying to figure out how to get points I am entitled to if it isnt fixed by then. They didnt ask for my number when they resubmitted my request. Fingers crossed this all gets fixed soon
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Also reached out to Amex over chat. This rep didn't think there was an issue, but resubmitted my membership number to Marriott anyway. I have a stay in a couple weeks and hope it's fixed by then. Ugh.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully Amex (or Marriott) still has a record of everyone who is eligible and they can rerun the status match for everyone. Else there will be a lot of disappointed members calling Marriott for extra points when they discover the problem some time down the road after a few stays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.