Swapping US amex plat to UK amex plat

Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Swapping US amex plat to UK amex plat

I'm a UK resident and citizen. I've worked in the US in the past and I've got an US issued amex plat which I have still been using since I got back to the UK in 2020 (since it has no fx charges). However I've been wondering if it's worth switching to a UK issued amex plat instead. I pay $695 a year and I'm almost not using any of the benefits. Plus now I have to pay a fee to bring guests to centurion lounges (I don't spend anywhere near the limit where I can bring guests in for free).

The UK card has an annual fee of 575 (which is comparable to the US one at current exchange rate). With that I can bring guests in for free to centurion lounges (which is a benefit I frequently use) and I can get one complimentary amex platinum for a second card holder. I will also be able to use more of the UK oriented benefits.

The drawback is of course losing the free fx spending (it's just poor form that I have to pay for fx after paying an annual fee of 575!) and that the conversion rate to some miles might not be as good as the US.

Should I swap my US card with a UK card? I think it makes a lot of sense but I often see a lot of people wanting to have US issued cards so I just want to double check to see if I'm missing anything.

Will I be able to transfer my points from my US account to my UK account?

I do not plan to return to work in the US or North America in the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:14 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by freethemind
Will I be able to transfer my points from my US account to my UK account?
Yes, but note that the quantity will be adjusted to reflect the USD:GBP exchange rate. Also note that the UK version of Membership Rewarded has fewer transfer partners, and you may prefer to transfer some points to airlines rather than to the UK MR program.

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I am in a similar camp and decided to keep a couple of (lower) fees US cards, incl the US amex gold, and Chase sapphire preferred. You may consider downgrading to the gold (or to a no fee card), and you would be able to keep MR live and retain the 0 FX fees.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:49 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by JFSV
.... You may consider downgrading to the gold (or to a no fee card), and you would be able to keep MR live and retain the 0 FX fees.
There is no downgrade path to a free card, only to Gold or Green. You would need to apply for any other card.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks, was not aware.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:50 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
On the Amex UK website, I can only find details about new Platinum credit cards, not new Platinum charge cards. The only charge card I can find is the Basic card. Am I missing something?

Leading to my next question: Can a US Platinum charge card be used to get a UK Platinum charge card, or a UK Platinum credit card?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:24 am
mia

UK charge card is here: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...mCard-carousel

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Can a US Platinum charge card be used to get a UK Platinum charge card, or a UK Platinum credit card?
Your history with American Express USA can be used to apply for any UK card. It doesn't have to be the UK equivalent of the card that you have in the USA.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by mia
Thank you! I did see that page. However, according to this information sheet, that is the credit version of the card: https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/en-gb/charge-cards/platinum-card/platinum-charge-card-vs-credit-card/The_Platinum_Card_Comparison_Table.pdf

I did a little more searching, and this HfP article suggests that Amex stopped offering a Platinum charge card in the UK in 2022, though existing cardholders were unaffected: "New applicants for The Platinum Card now receive a credit card and not a charge card. There is no change for existing cardholders who will continue with their existing charge card unless they choose to switch."

The article also indicates in the comments that the only way to get a Platinum charge card in the UK is to start with a lower level charge card and upgrade over time: "Does this mean the Platinum charge card has been discontinued for new applicants?" "Unless you still have the Green/Gold charge card, which you can still upgrade to the Platinum card (charge). Otherwise it is closed to new applications." However I don't know how accurate the comments are.

Originally Posted by mia
Your history with American Express USA can be used to apply for any UK card. It doesn't have to be the UK equivalent of the card that you have in the USA.
That's good. If it's no longer possible to apply directly for a Platinum charge card, then I wonder if I should go for a Platinum credit card or a Basic / Gold charge card and then try to upgrade it over time
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:27 am
mia

Why do you need a charge card rather than a credit card?

....Basic / Gold charge card and then try to upgrade it over time
Where do you see these cards?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:21 am

Why bother switching, keep the US card and use it in the UK.
Transferring and converting your GBP through revolute/HSBC/Wise is cheap enough to be worthwhile to never use UK cards and just the US card in the UK.
Btw the UK version does not give x5 points on flights, also to make the annual fee negligible you call them every year and ask for retention offer, that's usually 50k points.
SkyLich likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by lxitixl
.....to make the annual fee negligible you call them every year and ask for retention offer, that's usually 50k points.
A retention bonus "every year" is improbable, you need to space the calls at 13 month intervals: American Express (USA) retention offers (2023)
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:33 am

Thats just nitpicking, you still get it every year and 50k points easily worth over 1000$ if you use them properly
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:44 am
mia

Originally Posted by lxitixl
....get it every year....
Please post the details of your retention bonus experiences here: American Express (USA) retention offers (2023)
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by mia
Why do you need a charge card rather than a credit card?
Well, to each his own, I suppose. I don't wish to go off-topic, but to answer your question, for me it's not a matter of need, but a personal matter of principle to pay bills immediately when they are due. As a result, I prefer a card which is designed for that, as I already have in the US. But it's not some kind of absolute requirement. If a charge card is no longer available in the UK, then I understand that a similar result can be achieved by paying a credit card bill every month. So what I am doing here is trying to educate myself about the available options by asking the wise minds in this thread before proceeding

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see these cards?
Good question. I can only find a Basic charge card, though the article linked above mentioned "Green/Gold". Here is how I found it:

Visit this overview page of different card types, and scroll nearly to the bottom, to the section titled "How to choose a Credit Card or Charge Card". Then click on "Charge Cards" in the sentence where it says "Read more on Credit Cards and Charge Cards to discover the key differences." It will bring you to this list of Charge Cards, which shows only the Basic Card. Note I also tried modifying the URL to https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/charge-cards/ but this redirects back to the Basic Card page.

If the Basic Card is the only charge card available, then I wonder if there is any advantage or disadvantage to getting that and upgrading it to a Platinum charge card over time, or if I should just transfer over my existing Platinum card. I'm not an expert, so I appreciate the advice of everyone here. Maybe I am really trying to ask a more theoretical question about whether or not there is any difference between credit cards and charge cards anymore
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Well, to each his own, I suppose. I don't wish to go off-topic, but to answer your question, for me it's not a matter of need, but a personal matter of principle to pay bills immediately when they are due. As a result, I prefer a card which is designed for that, as I already have in the US. But it's not some kind of absolute requirement. If a charge card is no longer available in the UK, then I understand that a similar result can be achieved by paying a credit card bill every month. So what I am doing here is trying to educate myself about the available options by asking the wise minds in this thread before proceeding

Good question. I can only find a Basic charge card, though the article linked above mentioned "Green/Gold". Here is how I found it:

Visit this overview page of different card types, and scroll nearly to the bottom, to the section titled "How to choose a Credit Card or Charge Card". Then click on "Charge Cards" in the sentence where it says "Read more on Credit Cards and Charge Cards to discover the key differences." It will bring you to this list of Charge Cards, which shows only the Basic Card. Note I also tried modifying the URL to https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/charge-cards/ but this redirects back to the Basic Card page.

If the Basic Card is the only charge card available, then I wonder if there is any advantage or disadvantage to getting that and upgrading it to a Platinum charge card over time, or if I should just transfer over my existing Platinum card. I'm not an expert, so I appreciate the advice of everyone here. Maybe I am really trying to ask a more theoretical question about whether or not there is any difference between credit cards and charge cards anymore
Just to summarise:

Amex UK has converted first the Gold card a couple of years ago, and more recently the Platinum to credit Cards for new applicant. Existing customer were unaffected.

with regards to upgrades, I believe the article in question is not too accurate as the Basic Card (Blue) is a standalone card not part of the MR family and thus cannot be upgraded to Green/Gold/Platinum. Upgrades /downgraded within Amex have historically only been possible within the same product Family (e.g BA cards, MR Cards, etc). I should know as I have had it for years, a way to keep my relationships (member since) in case I wanted to close my other Amexes for some years (then found out that it is actually not necessary but decided to keep it, putting one or two small transaction per year on it).

I believe the only way to actually upgrade a Chargecard is to already have a legacy Green and/or Gold and upgrade to another upwards.

edit: regarding Chargecard vs Credit Card, as others have said, there are ways of managing a Credit Card via full statement DD that will mean that is used as a Chargecard. However, as I understand it, a Chargecard does offer more flexibility in terms of Transaction value (Spending Power) vs having an hard Credit Limit. What I mean is that you may have an hard Credit Limit of 35k on your Amex CC and basically, even without any balance you would not be able to but something that cost more than that, whilst with a Chargecard you could check your spending power and most often than not, it would easily authorise a transaction higher than your CC limit (I routinely check this between my Platinum and my BAPP trying the SP tool for transaction up to 10k higher than my BAPP limit). There is also more flexibility in the sense that Amex would be open to pre-loading (pay-in in advance) the charge card account if you wanted to buy something even higher than what they are prepared to authorise in the SP tool, which they officially could not do within the CC T&Cs

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Mar 5, 2023 at 9:13 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.