Centurion Lounge food quality

Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta
I hit the LAS one for lunch which had a medium cooked London broil, brussel sprouts, and mashed potatoes. I was content with it.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My Family was pretty happy with LAS offerings last week as well. Also happy with not letting too many people in the lounge and appreciated the private room offered for centurion card holders.
cfischer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC 25k, WJ Platinum
Definitely has gone down hill, but the food is still heads and shoulders better than the vast majority of other lounges (NA anyways).

In the couple months I was at LHR breakfast (poor) / lunch (good), LAS lunch (v.good) IAH lunch (good), DEN dinner (average)
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:47 pm

I think it highly depends on which airport your in.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
Recently visited the Centurion Lounge at Buenos Aires EZE.
Although not a "real" Centurion, the food was pretty good. There's hot and cold sandwiches, nice drinks selection, good coffee, and delicious Argentinian "alfajores" (a typical sweet).
It wasn't very crowded either.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Originally Posted by jghassell
Agree that food quality is suffering as prices increase, and also Amex has little incentive to demand meaningful improvements because of the crowding - there is little benefit to arresting a decline in food quality as thus attracting more visitors when one is having overcrowding issues.
As noted earlier, some of this is due to which airport one finds themselves...
While not AmEx CL, Delta SkyClubs at DTW, A43 (a.k.a.the Bart Lounge) has had great food - possibly as a result of DO & CO catering.
I was at the CL in Mexico City over the weekend, breakfast was delicious (wide variety of fruits, nicely arranged, delicious made-to-order eggs with bacon, excellent coffee.
A visit to the CL at JFK in November echoed other comments...dark meat chicken. And a delicious espresso martini. The lounge is more for a respite, far from the madding crowd, than gourmet eats. (My $0.02)
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Civet
Definitely has gone down hill, but the food is still heads and shoulders better than the vast majority of other lounges (NA anyways).

In the couple months I was at LHR breakfast (poor) / lunch (good), LAS lunch (v.good) IAH lunch (good), DEN dinner (average)
+1. I went to the breakfast at T3 of LHR, nothing was appealing and headed for the Cathay lounge. I also did not like guests there, some spoke very loudly, the other had absolutely no manner, it was just a zoo.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:26 pm

I visited the DEN lounge shortly after it opened and they had the most amazing macaroons. Better than most bakeries I have tried macaroons from in the US. Sadly my subsequent visit a few months later had no macaroons.

It's been my experience that with many lounges, restaurants and hotels, visiting them soon after opening (within the first year or so) results in a better experience. It's like they try harder

Of course, the really good ones keep improving, but that's going to be the minority.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Statman
The horror!
LOL...if this ever happened to me, I'm asking for a full refund or an entire year's worth of complimentary membership. When I must resort to meat free sustenance, for whatever reason, I'll just have fish, but there has to be at least fish, eggs, or something.

Jokes aside, recently had pork loins at the LAS CL; while not exactly word class stuff, it sure beats the ubiquitous Chicken Thighs a la Amex. I've noticed, at least in LAS, during the busier days (usually Sundays & Mondays) it'll be the chicken, while they'll have the non-chicken (which I'd much prefer) during the less busier days. Given AXP popped 10%, can't argue with whatever their doing, I suppose.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
is it just me or has CL food quality been on a downward slide versus last few years. Specifically referring to experiences at JFK and CLT.
is this something you recently noticed? its been this way for a very long time. amex pimps out its plat to the general population. higher volume leads to cost cutting. cap1 will do the same. totally not sustainable.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The biggest change I've noticed is with breakfast. It now resembles a mid tier hotel buffet with scrambled eggs, sausage and potatoes. Gone are the inventive options like bread pudding french toast.

Lunch and dinner I find to still be of good quality, especially at MIA and DFW, at least.
dw likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CMK10
The biggest change I've noticed is with breakfast. It now resembles a mid tier hotel buffet with scrambled eggs, sausage and potatoes. Gone are the inventive options like bread pudding french toast.

Lunch and dinner I find to still be of good quality, especially at MIA and DFW, at least.
Completely agree. Lunch at PHL is still pretty good, but breakfast has been just scrambled eggs, sausages and potatoes. They used to have potato latkes and quiches.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Civet

Thats no longer true. At Delta Sky Club in ATL B18 now. The food is much better in both taste and variety than you get at CL. Im very impressed.
Mama likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:53 am

While I'm certainly not a food critic, last night LAX's customary Chicken Thighs a la Amex was prepared in a very unique manner, at least to a culinary layman such as myself. It was slightly breaded but a little soggy with a light red sauce with had very little taste or flavor. I suppose, for whatever reason, if one were inclined to indulge in foods with very little flavor or seasoning--be it by choice or necessity--this should be on your to-do dining list.

Not that what I think matters, but whomever is running this CL should focus more on good tasting variety of foods rather than appealing to the lowest common denominator. While all this inclusion stuff is great marketing stuff, we're not in the CLs to practice it--focus on your bottom lines, AXP.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Visconti
While all this inclusion stuff is great marketing stuff, we're not in the CLs to practice it--focus on your bottom lines, AXP.
I do not remember the year in which I had an after-breakfast animal protein offering other than a chicken thigh in years, in any domestic USA lounge. There must be some sort of vast conspiracy amongst all these "celebrity chefs" such that their star dishes feature chicken thighs, every day, all the time, @ SFO, LAX, and JFK ... probably SEA, too.

Your request of AX is exactly what it is doing - focusing on the bottom lines, i.e., the cheapest edible animal proteins that the customers will typically eat. I know your premise was to the contrary, but AX is doing what you asked!

The lounges used to be a treat. Now, unless I've got extra time to head to another (still airside) terminal and want a better cocktail or glass of wine, the Alaska or Delta lounges suit me just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.