Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Club @ One Vanderbilt, NYC (opening March 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

There's a new benefit for New Yorkers and visitors here. We have a new club in Manhattan, only for Centurion members.

Centurion New York
Introducing a new luxury space spanning the 55th floor of One Vanderbilt in Midtown Manhattan, designed to bring Centurion Membership to life. Open daily, enjoy premier hospitality, inspired casual and fine dining, and exclusive programming.

Starts in March.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:14 am

I thought the announcement was quite vague! It actually doesn’t say Centurion members only if you read the small print, but I hope that’s the case. Wish there was some more info on menus, pricing (and options aside from restaurant/bar, since the one thing that seems to be clear is nothing is complimentary.

Amex was very secretive about this - I googled the 55th floor and their original lease was announced as with an undisclosed financial services company!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
the one thing that seems to be clear is nothing is complimentary.
Not to mention we have to re-up with $5K to use this benefit.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
It actually doesn’t say Centurion members only if you read the small print, but I hope that’s the case.
Given its proximity to Grand Central (and just being in midtown in general), I would expect that to be the case. Otherwise, if open to Platinum cardmembers, it would be a madhouse with tourist foot traffic.

For any fellow street urchins who want to press their face up against the glass... here is some detail on the units.

I will be very curious to see what comes of this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: CO Plat (UA 1K), DL Plat, AXP Cent, FS By Invitatn
I am very curious too and it could be a great alternative to other private clubs and a good perk to sort of make up for the benefit devaluation over the last few years. I’d love to see more specifics on the dining options as well, having had pretty good luck at the airport lounges where the dedicated Centurion sections were great. See you all there!
janwillem likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:15 am

Programs: Tap - Victoria Gold, AMEX Centurion
I think this is going to be similar to the centurion lounges where at first it was only for centurion members but since it was so empty AMEX opened it up to plats. I will try to get the most use of it as soon as it opens just in case it does get opened up to more cardholders. I'm also curious as to what the guest policy is.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:38 am

Just to refresh everyone’s memories - when the first airport lounge opened in March 2013 it was open to Centurion for free - and any other AMEX cardholder could pay $50 to enter. It didn’t take long for that to change - within 6 months platinum also had free access. However I think that was probably always planned - as access to AA and US clubs went away and the centurion lounges were touted as a replacement.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Given its proximity to Grand Central (and just being in midtown in general), I would expect that to be the case. Otherwise, if open to Platinum cardmembers, it would be a madhouse with tourist foot traffic.
Near the LIRR to JFK? If so, then I'd find it quite useful. I mean, would have been better before we closed shop in NYC, but I suppose I'll still have to be there at least once per quarter. I wonder if Amex will expand this to other cities if this location proves popular and successful.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
This could be a really innovative way to attract signups by people who may not travel as much and were on the fence about getting the card. Assuming they do ultimately expand access to Platinums and set aside an area for Centurions, as with the Centurion lounges. It would also mesh quite well with the "lifestyle" metamorphosis. And securing space in major cities around the world should be way easier than valuable space at airports. But I wonder if it would turn into a WeWork kind of thing?

It's definitely something I would take advantage of if one were to open in the city nearest to me...
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by moe8555
....innovative ......
American Express operated some city center clubs decades ago. I will try to find some information about them.

Currently, there is a Centurion Haus at Raffles Hotel in Singapore: https://milelion.com/2022/09/18/cent...turion-lounge/
the_outcast and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:05 am

https://reddit.com/r/amex/comments/1...i4b/?context=1

I generally dislike spreading unverified info, but I figured this still might be worth sharing. A user on reddit did some poking around and apparently there will be limited access for Platinum card members.

Just got this info from Platinum Concierge: - 2 of the 9 spaces inside will be open to non-Centurion members - Reservations for dinner open on 2/9 and she suggested calling Concierge to book since it won't be accessible outside of the Centurion portal for non-Centurion members.
If Platinum members will have limited access, I don't think I will be banging down the door to snag a reservation, as there are still plenty of world class restaurants in NYC. However, this is still a really neat product development for amex and one that I hope Centurion members can enjoy.

Visconti LIRR trains depart from Penn Station and MTA trains depart from Grand Central, but it is pretty easy to get to JFK from either one. Penn takes the cake because departing from Grand Central requires one additional transfer, but nothing complex. Penn and Grand Central are also fairly close to one another... maybe about a mile walk? Getting to LGA is a little tougher via public transport because you ultimately need to rely on a bus for the last leg.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I doubt Platinum cardholders will be given full access given the huge amount of Platinum cardholders in the area.

Great concept. I’m a member of the Yale Club next door so I don’t think I would use this very much even if I had access, but it is a great perk
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:57 am

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...club-new-york/

All American Express cardmembers will be able to access the Centurion New York with an advance reservation made via Resy, according to people familiar with the matter, including Amex membership professionals.

In fact, members of the general public, including those who do not yet have an Amex card, will also be able to make reservations to visit the Centurion New York. Reservations are expected to open in late February, and we'll update this story with more details as they become available.
TPG reporting that not only will this be open to Platinum Cardmembers, but also to the general public.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...club-new-york/

TPG reporting that not only will this be open to Platinum Cardmembers, but also to the general public.
Well that’s really strange.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by olouie
Well that’s really strange.
In what way, specifically?

The OP claimed, in their original post, that this was "only for Centurion members" but they provided absolutely no source to confirm that (rather they seemed to draw a conclusion that the text didn't necessarily support). The wording they included was, "Introducing a new luxury space spanning the 55th floor of One Vanderbilt in Midtown Manhattan, designed to bring Centurion Membership to life" which is language that in no way precludes allowing others in the lounge. Bringing "Centurion Membership to life" doesn't mean that they could not allow others access as well.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.