Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Club @ One Vanderbilt, NYC (opening March 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Club @ One Vanderbilt, NYC (opening March 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by david55
Confused...so can I, an Amex Cashback Blue card holder, make a reservation?

I made a reservation through Resy, which Amex owns. I have "Global Dining Access" through my linked Amex Platinum card in Resy (Hilton Aspire and Amex Delta Reserve are also eligible). Someone earlier in the thread said that a certain percentage of reservations are open to the public. I have no idea if these are limited in any way to Amex cardholders, Global Dining Access members, open to the general public, etc. There is also a number you can call and leave a message, but I don't know how effective it is.

With Resy, when you search for a restaurant and there are no reservations immediately available, you can click "Notify" to be let known when a reservation is open. Usually, when a reservation is open, you are sent a notification by the app. In this case, I was sent a text message indicating space was available for lunch, and I was able to request my specific time. My reservation then appeared in the app.
Old May 27, 2023, 12:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I made a reservation through Resy, which Amex owns. I have "Global Dining Access" through my linked Amex Platinum card in Resy (Hilton Aspire and Amex Delta Reserve are also eligible). Someone earlier in the thread said that a certain percentage of reservations are open to the public. I have no idea if these are limited in any way to Amex cardholders, Global Dining Access members, open to the general public, etc. There is also a number you can call and leave a message, but I don't know how effective it is.

With Resy, when you search for a restaurant and there are no reservations immediately available, you can click "Notify" to be let known when a reservation is open. Usually, when a reservation is open, you are sent a notification by the app. In this case, I was sent a text message indicating space was available for lunch, and I was able to request my specific time. My reservation then appeared in the app.
Cool. Thanks.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Here are some overall questions though
  • Interesting people watching - the crowd skewed to those older and obviously wealthy, etc. But not really social in any kind of "private club" way. When I think of private clubs, I think of very large bars where people are often having conversations (including meeting people), and large sitting areas where drinks are served to groups. There was a bar in the Studio with bar seats, but no one was sitting at the bar. Similarly, the "lounge" was empty. I guess the bar and the lounge may be a bit more social at night, but I wouldn't know.
  • Food and service were good, but at the end of the day, it is a nice restaurant in NYC. There are a lot of nice restaurants in NYC, so the scarcity factor is kind of limited. If that is the primary use case, I imagine it is hard to get too excited about it.
I don’t understand why you think this would function like a private club. Clubs usually screen for members and regulars all know each other or have some connections to each other, but here you are basically dining with complete strangers. Wealthy people don’t like to socialize with gawkers.
BLV likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by SP03
I don’t understand why you think this would function like a private club. Clubs usually screen for members and regulars all know each other or have some connections to each other, but here you are basically dining with complete strangers. Wealthy people don’t like to socialize with gawkers.

This was marketed as a private club for cardholders. And there aren’t that many Centurion Cardholders, so a private club like social experience shouldn’t be out of the question
Old May 27, 2023, 9:16 pm

This was marketed as a private club for cardholders. And there aren’t that many Centurion Cardholders, so a private club like social experience shouldn’t be out of the question
It can be marketed as such, but what matters is whether members treated it as such. Keep in mind that it’s also open to non Centurion card members.
Boraxo and WasKnown like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....what matters is whether members treated it as such.....
Indeed, but the facility has been open less than 90 days. If a Club atmosphere develops I think it will arise over time as cardholders gradually recognize one another from previous visits and become acquainted. While it's true that people who are not Centurion cardholder can dine there, the reservation process would make it improbable for them to become regulars.
JK likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:17 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Indeed, but the facility has been open less than 90 days. If a Club atmosphere develops I think it will arise over time as cardholders gradually recognize one another from previous visits and become acquainted. While it's true that people who are not Centurion cardholder can dine there, the reservation process would make it improbable for them to become regulars.
That’s not how private clubs in NYC work. Familiarity is not a function of people becoming acquainted with each other. Familiarity is a result of careful membership curation through internal referrals. That is not what is happening here and it is unrealistic to expect it to ever happen. Also, dining is one of the least important functions of a great private club.

Not being a private club is perfectly fine. The true private club model is dying even for clubs with broad university affiliations (rip Princeton Club). Only the great legacy clubs or the large open membership clubs have persisted. The illusion of exclusivity with the Centurion Club (similar to University Club or even Soho House) could prove to be more sustainable than true exclusivity in the long run. It seems to be working for the Amex Platinum. Conversely, the truly great legacy private clubs of NYC like the Metropolitan club are essentially propped up by extremely wealthy families. I’m not privy to the finances for these organizations but I can’t imagine this is a lucrative business given how (relatively) cheap charges are.
SP03 likes this.

Last edited by WasKnown; May 27, 2023 at 10:23 pm
Old May 29, 2023, 6:01 am
BLV

I have a standing 8pm Friday reservation at Dorsia. And my Cent has nothing to do with it 😏😎😬
dc_traveler likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Gold, HH Diamond, Centurion (UK), Virgin Gold
I was in NY quite recently and had dinner there. UK Centurion cards do give access, but we cannot use the app for booking and will need to email the concierge instead. Reservation was made 2 hrs prior for 7 pm, and they advised I could also walk in -- so availability for Cent is very good.

Overall it feels like a place I would go for last-minute lunch/dinner meetings and pre/post-theatre. Food quality is better than Soho House etc., but far inferior from a more dining/wine-focused club like 67 Pall Mall. I am unfamiliar with NYC prices and can't comment on food quality vs value.

I agree with other posters -- this is more of a restaurant rather than a members club. The seating is definitely not enough if they were to accommodate diners as well as people just meeting for coffee (the informal space is tiny).
ExpatExp and ubiquitous1984 like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:57 am

Since this thread has been tangentially talking about NYC restaurants and view, I just had dinner at Saga last night and I think it’s got the best food and view in the entire city. I don’t think One Vanderbilt can beat it, except location, depending on where you are. If you want something truly specially, skip the Centurion Club and check out Saga.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I had lunch there last week; the place was fairly vacant, which honestly is refreshing. Location is top notch, as its very easily accessible. The space is not "over the top" or "camp"; its very much a Park Hyatt execution, which is appropriate. All of the staff I interacted with were pleasant, friendly, accessible, and well-trained. Food was excellent, considering this was lunch at Studio. Total came to $300 for two people, including wine and dessert. I hasten to say I see that as a bargain for a private dining space in NYC. I was there with a friend from university who happened to be passing through town at the same time; both of us former NYC residents. Its an impressive venue and the food lives up to it; I think if you wanted to have a nice business lunch or impress a friend/client/significant other, its really an ideal venue. Anything comparable in NYC will either be much more expensive or much more crowded. I'd say it occupies a unique place in the market and I'm a bit shocked it even exists. I hope it stays special. I don't know if it is an Amex experiental concept, etc, but the execution is very impressive.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is clearly an EGO spot so you can brag/instagram whatever. Like the secret Classified 1K restaurant at EWR. Though with better food and views (which come at a higher price point). If you are coming for the party or scene you are in the wrong spot though no shortage of such places in NYC.

I don’t quite understand the hype. The city is full of restaurants with amazing food and service. I’d rather trust the Michelin Guide for NYC.
I sure wouldn't. I find the hyped Michelin star places - like everywhere else - are very hit or miss. I give 10x more weight to FT reviews than to Yelp, and 10x to Yelp more than Michelin.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I sure wouldn't. I find the hyped Michelin star places - like everywhere else - are very hit or miss. I give 10x more weight to FT reviews than to Yelp, and 10x to Yelp more than Michelin.
Depends on what food you are looking for. I've been to 40 Michelin restaurants in NYC alone, and there is only one that I thought was unworthy of a star.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:15 am

NYC Centurion Club changes for Platinum cardholders

I recently tried to make a reservation for myself, my partner, and another couple (also Platinum cardholders) through the AmEx concierge for the new NYC Centurion Club. They informed me that, starting September 4, Platinum cardholders could only bring 2 guests to that club. Therefore, I couldn't make a reservation for 4 people (only 3) even though all of us are Plat cardholders. We would have to make reservations separately and dine separately. I guess it's good that there are even tables for lowly Plat members but thought everyone would want to know about the update.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Stopped in for lunch today. First time visiting. Only two other tables were occupied. Prompt and well-informed service. Thought the food was nicely done and I appreciated what was available by the glass on the wine list. Price was in line with what's mentioned above, which seemed reasonable to me. Nice spot to have a peaceful lunch with a view. Will likely come back.
Boraxo and JK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.